Old 02-10-2015, 09:03 AM   #11
I don't know what it is worth to you and some others may tell you/me/us it is not possible but......

I have the equalizer hitch and on my set up I had to get a drop shank because my truck sits too high for the standard shank. I have a few inches of extra shank that hangs off the bottom, my dealer told me I could get the extra unneeded shank trimmed off the bottom to give me a few extra inches of clearance. I do not know the safety issues associated with this or even if there are any, I personally probably wont cut it only because I have plenty of clearance so far but I will keep it open as an option if I do need extra clearance as I tow places and use it more. If your shank has room to trim it might be worthwhile to research and see if it can be done.

Has anyone heard of this as an option, or is the install guy blowing smoke?

2015 Forest River EVO 2850
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
Yamaha 2k x 2 with parallel cable
EMS 30 PI portable w/ Edison plug

Nights Camped (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:35 AM   #12
Cutting the bottom of the shank should be safe as long as it is cut with a blade, possibly also kept cool with water. Cutting with flame or plasma will alter the metal because of the heat.

I considered it a while ago for my prior TV, but glad I didn't because now I need that extra length for my current TV.

2008 FR Salem 26TBUD
2010 FR R-Pod 171 (2009-2015)
2010 Chevy Suburban
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote