Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #1

Question 2001 Navigator & 30ft 7500# Jayco White Hawk

Hi Fellow RVer's

We originally posted a question on the forum about 2005-07 Ford towing.... Please see here: (http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...les-65515.html)

We never thought it would be so difficult trying to find information on tow vehicles and/or trailer tow weights....This time around.

We have gone from F150's (with 5.4) to....now a 2001 Navigator.

And the further we research, either, the more we are confused or can't even find spec's or correct info...On the Navi's

So, here again is our specs and info:

The TT is 2015 Jayco White Hawk Summit Edition 27DSLR with a length of 30' 11"...Unloaded Vehicle Weight (dry) per the door sticker from factory is 5993...total GVWR is 7500#....The tongue weight claims it is 510# (probably actually heavier)

Now there is no way we are loading the TT to even 3/4 of that weight. It is just my wife and I so, probably less than 800# in gear.

We are looking to buy the Navigator that (per the factory stats) states that with the 5.4 V8 (300 HP/355 Torq), 4 speed auto, a 3.73 axle, air ride suspension, rear axle rating of 4128 that the curb weight is 5667 and the GVW of the NAVI is 7000#....The GCWR is a total of 14000-14,500 (can't find EXACT) [Lincolns Handbook says that the GCWR for the "trailer" is rated at 8900# and as far as TOTAL GCWR...I haven't been able to the EXACT rating.....i.e. 14,500...OR???...Very Frustrating!!

P.S. the tires are 17" on the TV...and the SUV will probably have about 500# in cargo...I will be the only person...Wife is driving second vehicle.

We don't have the tow vehicle yet...so we don't have the "door jam sticker" and we can't find - through our hours of looking on the internet (forums or Lincoln publications) any info on the numbers.

When we bought the trailer - they first told us we could haul it with our 1999 F150 SC XLT with HD tow package, a 4.6 Triton/4 speed auto and 3..55 axle plus a 300# "high-top canopy....And I said, "You have got to be kidding me right?"

So, on correct info from the TT sales lot on a TV?....I wouldn't trust them with a 10 foot pole. (But Hey! We got a fantastic price on the TT).

So, my question are these;

1) Does or, has anyone every towed a 7500# GVW trailer WITH a Navigator?

2) Does anyone know where I can get better info on a 2001 Navigator?

3) If so, did you use the "factory hitch" with a WDH...OR did you have to upgrade to a better chassis hitch (which brand, etc.)? (All this, since it says, it can tow up to 8000-8900) with a factory hitch (I am assuming?)

4) The TT lot will be installing a "Husky" brand WDH...not sure which model...Not sure if it is one of the better ones?...On our 2008 24 KZ Spree...I had a Equal-i-zer with Sway control bar.... a bit noisy, but handled well

5) If towing with a Navigator, how did it effect the air ride suspension?

NOTE: We can't afford to buy (a good USED) F250 so, that is out of the question...They are well over $12,000 or up...

We are not buying a vehicle to win any races....on flat land or mountain grades...We are looking for safety first, tow-ability second, and [mechanical] dependability third.

And yes, we are also aware of the mileage and the 'premium" gas issues with the Navi's....But...willing to pay that price just to get it from Nevada to Washington State.

Again Thank You For Your Advice and Info.

Stephan & Sally
the7thdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #2

I haven't towed 7500# with my Navigator ('99 with same drivetrain and gears as yours), but I plan to try this spring. I had a 5000# (loaded) TT until I lost it to a fire last fall and the Navigator towed it great. We are looking to upgrade to a Wildwood 26TBSS (5900# dry weight) in the spring.

I know I will be maxing out the weights of this vehicle, but I need to get 2 more years out of the Navi as I have just dropped $4500 in parts and repairs (including a tranny) in the past year. I only camp about 6 times a year and all within 150 miles of home at this time and plan to take it real slow. I just installed a massive B&M tranny cooler and changed all the drivetrain fluids, spark plugs, and coolant. Loading will be key as I will need to keep all of our cargo in the trailer and save the Navigator's capacity for myself, my wife, my two little boys my labrador, and obviously the hitch weight. We should be just barely under weight, but I'm a little nervous about it.

I had been looking for examples of people who are towing a trailer that heavy with 1/2 ton SUVs to help ease my mind and these two links had a few.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 1/2 Ton Suburban & Yukon XL (including Denali)

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ers-21174.html

Hopefully, I can get the Navigator to last 2 seasons of towing and then I'll be shopping for a used Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L.
Ryno22980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #3

I own an '01 Navi and will try to help if I can. I've towed up to a steel bodied 4 horse trailer with up to 3 horses in it.

For a manual (PDF) on virtually any FOMOCO: GO HERE

Weights with 3/4 tank of gas (30 gal tank) and just myself aboard are as follows:

Front axle weight rating: 3520# as weighed 3140#
Rear axle weight rating: 4128# as weighed 2900#
GVW Rating 7200#, 6040 as weighed

GCWR: 2wd is 14500# 4wd 14000#
Trailer weight: 2wd is 8900# 4wd is 8100#

Note on the hitch, it's rated for 8850/880 lbs, over 5000/500 lbs calls for a WDH.

With respect to the air ride it is not noticeable to the driver. It automatically compensates for the load without intervention. Any weight I"ve had on it was unnoticeable insofar as ride and handling. Hooking up with a WDH is outlined in the manual. The suspension will kneel 1 inch in park, engine off and doors closed.
Plus the suspension needs to be shut off (switch on the pass. kick panel). Otherwise the suspension will try to compensate front to rear defeating efforts to set the hitch up with it left on. After the hitch is set up obviously turn it back on.

I hope this answers some of your questions. I'll try to help if I can.
mrayb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #4

Mrayb02: Great info there, I have never been able to locate the factory hitch specs until you posted. Thank you. I do believe the 8100# tow capacity is accurate if you have the 16 inch wheels. I think my owners manual said it drops to 7700# if you have 17 inch wheels like mine, but that might just be because mine is a '99.

In all honesty, I wouldn't buy a Navigator to tow this much. I'm only trying it because it is what I already own and I'm not traveling very far or in any steep grades. I'm expecting a lousy towing experience, but hoping not to break down.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #5

One other thing to consider to the original poster. When the air ride is working properly, it is great for towing. However, if the rear air springs fail, you will be stranded and need both vehicles towed. My Internet research told me that the air springs have a life span of about 10 years. If the '01 Navigator you are looking at has the originals, you might want to be proactive and replace them before they fail. I did this for peace of mind.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #6

Glad I was able to help. And yes it has 17 inch wheels, referring to the manual it only lists 17 inch wheels for my '01. Door post, FWIW, shows 255/75R17SL.

The horse trailer I referenced in my post I figure weighed 3000# plus easily, add 3 1000# horses so 6000# maybe (probably) more. Hills worked it pretty good, but I wouldn't define it has making the truck "labor".

The front airshocks are Monroe 40004's. I get all my suspension parts from Arnott Industries. Not had any other (air ride) issues at this point.
mrayb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #7

Towed a 4000# travel trailer with an '01 Expedition (same drive train as Nav) and it did OK, but just OK. It suffered low power in higher elevations. Mine had the read air suspension, too, but still needed a WDH. I think you will be overloaded and disappointed with the setup.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #8

As posted in your other thread, I recommend you expand your search to include the Ford Expedition, which is the same U22x platform vehicle as the Navigator. Same ~9000lb tow rating, etc, etc, etc.

Your trailer will be around 7000 lbs once loaded, which is probably approaching the maximum that most would want to tow with this platform/vehicle. But as long as you are not going thru any serious hills/grade, it should perform well for you. If one of these olders models (as you know), make sure it's not a 4.6L. 4.6L is a good engine, but not for 7000lbs of trailer.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags