Old 06-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikesfan24 View Post
Another question I have is how accurate are the dry weights on campers? Some people say they are way low-others say they are pretty accurate.
After adding options, a battery, and propane, the dry weight will probably be about 500 lbs. more than the listed dry weight in the brochure. My listed dry weight in the brochure was 4139 lbs., and coming across the scales on the 1st trip back from the dealer is was 4760...the hot water heater was full which is close to 50 lbs.

It adds up fast. On ours the interior luxury package (microwave, CD player, tub surround, etc.) was 90 lbs, the exterior luxury package (AC, awning, jacks, etc.) was 163 lbs., The rooff ladder is 15 lbs., the outside grill is 15 lbs, the battery around 50 lbs., and 60 lbs of propane........I think the empty propane tanks are figured in already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikesfan24 View Post
And finally-without water is it possible to stock my rv for under 1000-1200lbs?
Yes. Our weight is about 700 lbs. over our actual dry weight......and we carry a lot of stuff.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.jimbo View Post
Locally, there is a sand and gravel retailer that I often use when landscaping. Since they sell most of their products by the ton, they have a state-certified vehicle scale at their facility. They will weigh any vehicle at any time at no charge, provided you don't require a certified weight and you are satisfied with getting the weight written on a post-it note.

If you are in doubt about your trailer weight, I would try to find a similar facility, and ask them to borrow their scale. Provided they don't have a line, you should have enough time to drop the tongue jack and leave the trailer by its lonesome on the scale. You could even get the GCW of both the TT and TV if you so desire.
I have hit up our local rock quarry a number of times trying different WDH settings. They have been great about it. I will copy down the figures as I go across the scales.....TV front axle, total TV, total TV and trailer, and just the trailer. If needed I will go back across with a different chain setting on the WDH. I will then drive all of the way home (2 miles ) and go back for just the truck.....again the front axle, total, and rear axle. All sorts of good information can be obtained from these figures.........the wife calls me anal.

If they are busy, I will just wait until no trucks are in sight.....I think the scale girl and dump truck drivers both appreciate that.......that is why they let me keep coming back.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26tbud