Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
The Excursion will pull pretty good as it sets. Most people that pull a lot and a lot of weight will generally get tired of the 3.73 rear end in the X. They usually swap it out to a 4.30 gear set. With yours, you would have to do that twice since it is 4WD. However, the feelings are subjective. If it pulls your rig like you like it to, then you'll be happy with the 3.73. I can tell you this though, there is nothing like the Excursion on the road. I've had Suburbans and they do not compare to the capability of the X. There is a huge forum on Excursions on the FTE website. Literally thousands of posts over there to read on any topic you choose. The V-10s are reliable engines, provided they have been maintained well. Take the serial number to a dealer and get and Oasis report to see what all has been done to it as far as warranty work and work done by a dealer. Good luck and if it's meant to be, welcome to the Excursion-the most capable SUV on the planet!
I have the 2 wheel drive xlt 3.73 v10, have pulled the same triler, except the brands are different names, I pull on steep grades in second gear at 3500 rpm..she loves to pull! Love our ex for the past 10 85k never changed the plugs yet, as I understand, it was at 100k?

2007 Rockwood 8317ss Reese Dual cam sway, 2002 Ford Excursion XLT V10,Prodigy Brake controller
Married DW 03/15/97 3 kids
Rockinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #12
Sorry guys I am just not a fan of the v10. I have never owned one but have been around both styles and didn't like either one of them. And I still think for what they are are under powered. But that is my opinion.

You guys are talking about the spark plugs being blown out. I used to work as a mechanic actually went to school for it but found better money and career in a different field. But the last shop I worked in a guy I worked with actually invented the tool and kit to remove and repair the blown out plugs. He patented and sold the design to the major tool companies and ford. He is now retired but still collects money for his invention.

2012 Sandstorm 203slc
2013 Toyota Tundra
Eqil-l-izer hitch,Prodigy P3
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
To the OP: Go for it. The V10 is one of the best engines, running on gasoline, that has ever been mass produced. Smooth running, like an electric motor. If the Excursion you are looking at is at a dealer, make the deal with new spark plugs included. The 4:30 is a better choice, but, finding an Ex with this rear ratio is not likely. The overdrive ratio of the transmission is approx. .78. When in OD, the math is 3.73 X .78= 2.91 effective ratio..! Pretty tall gear..! I have owned 3 diesels and 2 V10s. LOVE the V10. Very sad that Ford does not use the V10 in the 250 and 350 any more.
jd-ford-hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
Just sold my V10 Excursion two week ago. Was a 2000 Ex Limited with the 4.30 rear end and 146000 miles. The V10 is a great engine. It is thirsty but like they say you want to play you have to pay. TT is about 9500 lbs loaded. Went to SD in July and averaged 8.8 miles for the entire trip. Also had a SCT tuner from 5Star tuning, used the 87 octane towing tune the whole trip. Never had a engine related repair in the 5 years I owned it. Replaced it with an F350 CC SB 7.3 diesel. Why? Well wife and I would like to go to a 5er and I have never owned a diesel so thought we would give it a try. To the OP, sounds like a good truck. Just do your homework first as you would with any used vehicle. Good luck and happy camping, John
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
I have an 02 V-10 Excursion. it originally had the 3.73`s. I swapped to 4.30`s. I towed with it once with the 3.73`s and it just felt soft and doggy. I already had plans to swap to 4.30`s so it wasn`t an afterthought. the X should never have been offered with 3.73`s, to much weight to haul around at a lower rpm. when I swapped to 4.30`s it was nite and day difference. the V-10 has plenty of power! I`ve towed my 9200lb loaded TT to disney and back. to the Smoky`s and various other places. the V-10 did awesome!!! never had a problem with mtn`s. never had an issue even keeping up with the diesels.

As far as the spark plugs go....if I remeber correctly they redesigned the heads (PI, Performance Improved) in late 01. my X has the heads with more threads (I checked when I did the plugs at 50k). the V-10 is a very capable engine when geared properly.

The only issue you will have is the soft suspension. I added a Hellwig rear sway bar and airbags. these 2 issues made the X handle like it should.

02 Ford Excursion V-10 4.30 gears 5 Star Tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar Rear Airbags
Prodigy and Dual Cam
07 Cherokee 32B
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote