Old 05-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #1

2002 Yukon + Surveyor SP-275

Hello all,

I am a brand new owner of a FR Surveyor SP-275. And I have some questions / concerns regarding towing it. I am brand new to hauling trailers so excuse my ignorance. I had to purchase the trailer for work so I wouldn't be stuck in a motel for 6 months. I have a 2002 GMC Yukon. I wouldn't worry so much about pulling a trailer that weighted less than 5000lbs except for the fact the the Yukon has 240k miles on it!! Don't get me wrong, the vehicle is in GREAT SHAPE and I have no intention of getting a new car until this one gets pealed off the road. But at the same time I dont want to drop a tranny trying to pull this trailer.

Any precautions or maintenance you recommend before I make a 500 mile trip. I plan on stopping at least half way for some lunch and a cool down. Check the engine oil just for ol sakes.

Do you recommend I get a transmission change and put synthetic transmission fluid in it? Get a synthetic oil change?

Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1st off, that is a long trailer for a relative short wheel based SUV. A quality WDH with integrated sway control will be a necessity.

We need a bunch more information here. The Yukon engine, final drive ratio, and whether it has a factory tow package or not. Also your hitch specs....there should be a sticker on the hitch with that information.

BTW.....welcome to the forum !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #3

Ok so here is some information I gathered.

Info from sticker near hitch at electrical plugin
Hitch Ratings: V-5 Talon
Hitch Type: Maximum Trailer Weight
Weight Carrying: 5000 lb
Weight Distributing: 12000 lb
*Tow vehicle maximum trailer rating may be less.
Maximum Tongue Weight: Weight Carrying: 600 lb
Maximum Tongue Weight: Weight Distributing: 1500 lb

Vehicle Inspection Report says...
Engine Size 5300
GVW 5150

Another inspection says GVW 6800

Just found a receipt that says the transmission filter looks like it was changed at 161k miles. About 3 years ago.

Not sure how to find out the rest of that information
Old 05-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #4

ok door says GVW 6800.

Engine says 5.3L vortec.

As for the gears. Whatever is factory. Pretty sure that tow hitch came factory. But cars 10 years old no sticker in the glove box.

Oh, also, I did let them sell me some upgrade hitch like a sway bars and some kind of hitch that has some give in it when you slow down? Again sorry I dont tow a lot. This is a first for me so trying to learn as much as possible
Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #5

Sorry hate to bump but just looking for any opinions here
Old 05-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #6

I work for a General Motors dealer. Send me your VIN# and I will check to see if the vehicle is equipped with the factory tow package for you. If it is not, then I would strongly suggest installing a transmission oil cooler. I also pull a long trailer with my 2010 Tahoe and I will agree with the previous post that a good sway control hitch is an absolute must.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haonkered View Post
Sorry hate to bump but just looking for any opinions here
Sorry Haonkered, I asked for more information, you gave some, but I have been away from my computer since then.

I was gonna post what cmbt suggested. You can call your local GMC dealer, give him your VIN, and they should be able to tell you whether your Yukon has the tow package, what final drive gearing you have (you may need the axle number from your driver's side door sticker), and also they might be able to give you what your tow ratings are.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #8

Thanks guys for the help thus far. CMBT i sent you a PN with the VIN, your help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry MTNGUY trying to piecemeal this information together, sorry I can't have it complete.

I did go ahead and get a tranny flush and added synthetic today, and also replaced the rear-end fluids and they added some limited slip fluid. Checked out my brakes told me it was good. I am pretty sure it has the tow package on it.

Based on everything I am learning about the vehicle I am going out on a limb and saying that since its 5.3L Vortec and GVW is 6800 that it has the axle ratio of 3.73. I think that gathers everything I was trying to look for.

Also spoke with dealer and he did include a WDH with Anti-Sway as well.