Old 04-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
Site Team

2003 2500HD Duramax

Figured if I ask enough people someone will have a "been there-done that" reply for me. I'm trying to help father in law get his TV and fiver ready to sell. Health has stopped his towing. It is a crew cab, duramax 2500HD, diesel, 6.6L I think.
Truck has no issues other than a bump in the drivers side door/dash area. We checked for loose suspension parts, shocks, loose items under dash, brake pedal, and today even put new pins and bushings in drivers door hinge since originals were worn.
He has previously had the steering column replaced twice; under warranty and recall. You can't feel any bump in the steering wheel. Just hear it left of the steering wheel near windshield. Checked for loose items under hood. Checked wiper motor. All tight. Bump still there on small patches of rough road even at speeds as low as 20 mph. Does not go away at higher speeds. At wits end here. Been on several Chevy forums; lots of discussions but no answers.
Any thoughts appreciated. I know there are some experienced, knowledgeable duramax guys on here.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:35 AM   #2

I have an 03 GMC Sierra Dmax Alli CCSB. It's the intermediate shaft on the steering column. I'd bet dimes to donuts. Even though you've already replaced it once.

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Old 04-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #3

steering box issue

have heard of this steering box issue around here, there is a recall on that year truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Figured if I ask enough people someone will have a "been there-done that" reply for me. I'm trying to help father in law get his TV and fiver ready to sell. Health has stopped his towing. It is a crew cab, duramax 2500HD, diesel, 6.6L I think.
Truck has no issues other than a bump in the drivers side door/dash area. We checked for loose suspension parts, shocks, loose items under dash, brake pedal, and today even put new pins and bushings in drivers door hinge since originals were worn.
He has previously had the steering column replaced twice; under warranty and recall. You can't feel any bump in the steering wheel. Just hear it left of the steering wheel near windshield. Checked for loose items under hood. Checked wiper motor. All tight. Bump still there on small patches of rough road even at speeds as low as 20 mph. Does not go away at higher speeds. At wits end here. Been on several Chevy forums; lots of discussions but no answers.
Any thoughts appreciated. I know there are some experienced, knowledgeable duramax guys on here.

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
H2oski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
I have an 03 GMC Sierra Dmax Alli CCSB. It's the intermediate shaft on the steering column. I'd bet dimes to donuts. Even though you've already replaced it once.

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
X 2 Had the same symptoms on my 07. Dealer replaced the Intermediate Shaft. I think it was about 130.00 parts and labor.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Site Team

Thanks guys. He's convinced that's been done twice but I'll try to convince him that some have had the intermediate shaft replaced several times. He is 75 and don't like hearing bad things about his truck. :*)
Wonder if this is something I could do for him. I'll check out the appropriate websites. I'm not a mechanic by any means but did my first u joint last week and hinge pins yesterday. Yippee!

Old 04-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
phat phrog stunt crew

Maybe pm millertime. Or maybe millertime will be along shortly. I believe he is a gm tech and could probably steer you to a fix more accurately. But if h2oski is correct, 130 not a bad price. Sometimes getting down into the area of repair, its just easier to pay someone.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #7

$130 is a lot for something that has been problematic from the beginning. GM should have come out with a real fix.

That shaft has loose fitting splines and uses grease to take up the slack, that grease ends up pushed to the side which is what allows it to bump.

You can probably get your hands on the kit dealers used to pack fresh grease in the shaft (They had us alternate between replacing, then repacking, then replacing, then packing with a different grease) which will quiet it for a year or so.

There's a few home remedies, the one I saw and liked I first saw on an old farmers truck. He saw what I was doing packing it with grease, then he went home, pulled the shaft out, installed a grease fitting in the shaft, then hit it with a couple shots of grease when he changed his oil.

Here's a link talking about adding a hose clamp and adding a grease fitting. I'd go with the grease fitting myself, you can get kits at farm supply centers like Tractor Supply.

If you think you're going to tackle it, PM me and I'll help you keep from breaking your clock spring!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

There is a gm lube kit, and a revised or updated intermediate shaft.
My '04 z71 had it from the day I rolled it off the showroom floor, and I never messed with it. Now my current truck has no issues with it at all. I think the issue was resolved for the most part after the '04 models.
Just google "gm intermediate shaft lube kit" and u will find lots of info.

If you do it, just remember to run the seatbelt through the steering wheel and buckle it, to keep from rotating the wheel and snapping the clock spring.
The underhood bolt is a 15mm and you can use a wrench or socket, under dash is also a 15mm but will require a box end wrench or socket because of close tolerance to the u joint

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #9

MY 04HD and the 06 HD had the steering fix with less then 1k miles, father-inlaw 07 2500HD classic had his fixed. And everyone I know has had it fixed, cant under stand how this went on for so long and did not get resolved on the line..

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
Site Team

Thanks again. I did read where the grease fix was obsolete now and the best cure may be to replace the intermediate shaft. Think I'll try that. looks easy enough. Don't want to sell the truck with a known issues. I checked the service records this morning online and it shows he had "steering" work on it twice and "suspension" once. And several "uncatogorized" services. All several years ago. I didn't see any unaddressed recalls.
I'll post report after next job is done.

Tags