Old 06-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Kev

2003 Silverado

Hi there, just a quick question.

I currently have a 2000 Chev Silverado with the 4.8 v-8 in it which is pulling the trailer ok. It has 230,000km on it and I have put on air bags for towing. I have been thinking of upgrading to something a little more capable of towing. I dont think that I require a diesel for the amount that I would use it. The costs of maintanence on a diesel would not offset the savings on fuel that I use when towing.

That being said, I may have to opportunity to purchase a 2003 Silverado 2500 with the 6.0l fuel engine. It has 120,000 km on it and I know the owner.

Would it be a benefit for me to upgrade to this vehicle if it does come available?

What kind of mileage do people get on similar vehicles with or with out the trailer?

My trailer is 5100lb dry and probably about 6000-6500 loaded.
Any other comments?

Thanks, Kevin

Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #2

First question, is it a 2500 or a 2500HD? Makes a hugh difference. With the 6.0L gas burner you will expect to see maybe 10 in town and about that towing a light trailer. There is a big difference between a 2500 and a 2500HD. the 2500 was basically a heavy duty version of what you have. While the HD version will have stronger axles, bigger brakes and frame. The biggest reason for going diesel is that with a light trailer your fuel economy will be better, longevity is much better, and resale value is generally higher. personally i see zero difference in maintenance costs contrary to what some nay sayers want to claim. Yes, I do add 12 quarts of oil at an oil change, but that is once a year, so it is no big deal to me. I also have no spark plugs, no coils, no plug wires, no distributor to worry about. Your choice, your money, and for your situation i would probably go with a gasser, just be sure it is a 2500HD.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Kev

Thanks for your input Donn,

I am pretty sure that the truck is a 2500. Not the hd.

I was unaware that you only do oil changes one time a year on diesels.

I do have a enclosed utility trailer that I use for work occasionally, but dont think that it would neccesary to have a diesel for that.

I am worried about the fuel mileage in town as that is where I do most of my work. The 6.0 would be great for trailering though.

Anyway, thanks for your input and we will see what others say as well.

Kevin
Old 06-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #4

My Dodge Diesel gets better mileage all around than my 1500 Suburban, in town, on the highway and pulling my trailer, it also is so much more capable than my Suburban, it does not struggle at all pulling the trailer as my Suburban did, going bigger has met all my needs without loosing the basic comforts of my Suburban. Also, the diesel and oil changes are still based on mileage, not time, but my dodge requires an oil change at 7500 miles, for me this will be a bit more than twice a year.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Kev

Sorry to revive this thread, but I did not buy the 2003 Chev 2500.

This weekend I am going to check out a 2004 Duramax with 40,000km on it. The owner only used it for pulling his fifth wheel trailer in the summer time and the rest of the time she sat in the garage gathering dust.

Is there anything particular that I should be looking for when I check it out?

What would a rough estimate be for this truck? Crew cab with a duramax, cloth seats. I believe it is just an average load for extras on the truck.

Thanks for any input.

Kevin