Old 08-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #11

Excursion

We are looking into an Excursion with a V10.....Just have to find one in good shape.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthWA2313 View Post
You might be able to find a F250/350 with a V10 or possibly a V10 Excursion that would comfortably handle your trailer.

Like this:

Used Ford Excursion For Sale in the United States - CarGurus

Old 08-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
Plain Old Member

I sure wish Ford would've kept making the Excursion. I'd sure have one of those instead of the Expedition my wife has now. Hopefully you might can find one in good shape, maybe even with the 7.3 diesel. They're getting harder to find now. That would be a heck of a tow vehicle.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #13

If you are looking at excursions. Try and get a mid 04 tru 06 with the coil spring front, the ride is soooo much better plus the torqueshift tranny beets the pants off the 4r100. We were going to get one in place of the expedition but it is my wifes commuter car and the 13mpg would have put us in the poor house so the expedition with the heavy tow package suits our needs with a nicer ride and much better fuel economy
2004 Explorer 4.6 awd (16 year old daughters car)
2009 Mazda 6 (wife's ride)
Bunkfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #14

UPDATE:

This is getting ridiculous...But...

Looked at Excursion's over the last week....Either; A) They "lifted" them 4-6" and I wouldn't tow anything with it.... B) Everyone is asking outrageous prices for them...everything from the 5.4 (really? In an Excursion?) to the 6.8 & the 7.3)....C) Most of them were beat to heck anyways...One dealership...want $10,000 for an "00"(80,000 V-10)...and it looked nice online....When we got there, the pass. side had damage, the a/c blew hot air, the PWR door locks didn't work and the front end shimmered and pulled drastically to the left (braking or not)...I looked and you could see damage to the tie rod./suspension....And then he only wanted to give us $2000 for our 1999 F150 SC XLT 4.6 with a matching canopy..that is in EXCELLENT condition/low miles.....Like yeah that's gonna happen...NOT!...

So NOW, we are looking for a 00-03 Navigator...with a 5.4 DOHC or SHOC (300HP) and a GCWR of up to 14,500....They are out there and cheap...but we have to be extra careful to check them out completely...they have air bag suspension and even though they say they can pull a 8000-8900 TT...I am not sure about the factory receiver (Class III?)....And of course all the Hispanics and African American's seem to want to low ride them and put 20-24" rims on them....WTH?...So...we will try to keep you all updated on our search for a halfway decent used TV....We have 3 weeks to sell our F150 and find the "almost" perfect SUV....We are running out of time!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7thdream View Post
UPDATE:

This is getting ridiculous...But...

Looked at Excursion's over the last week....Either; A) They "lifted" them 4-6" and I wouldn't tow anything with it.... B) Everyone is asking outrageous prices for them...everything from the 5.4 (really? In an Excursion?) to the 6.8 & the 7.3)....C) Most of them were beat to heck anyways...One dealership...want $10,000 for an "00"(80,000 V-10)...and it looked nice online....When we got there, the pass. side had damage, the a/c blew hot air, the PWR door locks didn't work and the front end shimmered and pulled drastically to the left (braking or not)...I looked and you could see damage to the tie rod./suspension....And then he only wanted to give us $2000 for our 1999 F150 SC XLT 4.6 with a matching canopy..that is in EXCELLENT condition/low miles.....Like yeah that's gonna happen...NOT!...

So NOW, we are looking for a 00-03 Navigator...with a 5.4 DOHC or SHOC (300HP) and a GCWR of up to 14,500....They are out there and cheap...but we have to be extra careful to check them out completely...they have air bag suspension and even though they say they can pull a 8000-8900 TT...I am not sure about the factory receiver (Class III?)....And of course all the Hispanics and African American's seem to want to low ride them and put 20-24" rims on them....WTH?...So...we will try to keep you all updated on our search for a halfway decent used TV....We have 3 weeks to sell our F150 and find the "almost" perfect SUV....We are running out of time!
I wouldn't say "ALL" I dont own a Navigator, I have never lowered a vehicle, and nothing I own has 24 inch rims on it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Days Camped 2017 - 33
Days Camped 2016 - 35
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #16

Wasn't try to offend anyone..."I wouldn't say "ALL" I dont own a Navigator, I have never lowered a vehicle, and nothing I own has 24 inch rims on it.".....and sorry some people take it that way...I should have quoted MOST have...We would say 8 out of the 10 vehicles in this area we have called on or looked at have done that to the Expeditions, Explorers, Navigators and other brands of SUV's. Of course we are talking Las Vegas here...Where it is the norm to take a perfectly good SUV....and change it's purpose to something that will not perform the way they were intended to.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #17

A well-optioned Expedition is going to function the same as a Navigator (Expy clone, both made at the Michigan Truck Plant. They are the same U22x platform vehicle.

Limiting yourself to the Lincoln Navigator, and not including the Ford Expedition (clone) is going to make your search very difficult. I'm not saying you shouldn't look at the Lincoln. But I would look at the Ford as well.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #18

Hi Everyone,

UPDATE: Well we had to opt out for a 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition that has the 5.4 and the 3.73 axle. It has 103,000 miles on it and was a one owner vehicle. Ford says it was in damn good shape for its age......It does have the 7 pin tow package and we took it into Ford and had them go through the whole vehicle...including checking the tranny, new spark plugs and tune-up, radiator flush and new tires....The label on the receiver states it is 8800 max (WDH) but I know that the max trailer for the Expy is 8300. The rear axle is rated at 4128....The GCWR is 13,500 with the setup listed above.

The RV center is adding a dual sway bar friction WDH and the trailer "door label" from the factory states the GWR is 5995 (not sure if that is with full Propane tanks and batteries?) and the GVWR is 7500. We are not putting anything in the trailer except maybe a few tools and the basics as far as site setup (blocks, hoses, power supply, etc.) maybe about 200# at the most.

So now the challenge will be to see how she does on the open road....and then on the mountain grades going through the desert on the California Baker grade, I-15 South (960 ft. to 4200 ft.), the Siskiyou Mountains on I-5 (anywhere from 1000 to 4300 ft) on 6% grades....and then the hills of Oregon and Washington.

So...Wish us luck....And...Safe RVing to All!!

Stephan & Sally
Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7thdream View Post
Hi Everyone,

The RV center is adding a dual sway bar friction WDH and the trailer "door label" from the factory states the GWR is 5995 (not sure if that is with full Propane tanks and batteries?) and the GVWR is 7500. We are not putting anything in the trailer except maybe a few tools and the basics as far as site setup (blocks, hoses, power supply, etc.) maybe about 200# at the most.

So...Wish us luck....And...Safe RVing to All!!

Stephan & Sally

Some advice you didn't ask for; Don't go with the dual friction bars. Dealers LOVE to sell the chain type WDH and slap some friction bars on because it is EASY for them and they can make more money. My advice is to get an Equalizer 4 point. It has built in sway control that will perform better, is much stronger, and is much easier to hookup and use. The initial setup is more time consuming, but it is worth it IMHO.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #20

WDH

Thank you for the advice and we will consider this very seriously.....Happy RVing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Some advice you didn't ask for; Don't go with the dual friction bars. Dealers LOVE to sell the chain type WDH and slap some friction bars on because it is EASY for them and they can make more money. My advice is to get an Equalizer 4 point. It has built in sway control that will perform better, is much stronger, and is much easier to hookup and use. The initial setup is more time consuming, but it is worth it IMHO.

Tags
tow vehicle