Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #41

TOUCHY TOUCHY ! Diesel owners it was actually a little humor. Tonkatoy77 I think I should know if Cat put glow plugs in there engines as i built them for almost 32 years. At one point they went in most all of them. When they went into the truck market they dId move away from them all engines that took the them where OFF ROAD, ONROAD were the 3406 3208 and a few others that I didn't build. The 3408 and 3412 V engines are for OFF ROAD. For a long time they did use glow plugs. And yes gassers use spark plugs, but not for the same reason in 32 years we never really heard of many problems of using or not using glow plugs. My first Diesel I owned was a 1996 I had a 1998.5 and now a 2014 none of them have ever had glow plugs. And there has never been any issues with the system Dodge and now Ram uses. I really don't care about the power stroke or the duramax engines and what the use as I DON'T EVER SEE ME OWNING EITHER OF THOSE TWO ENGINES ! So lighten up it is an older system but if they want to use it I really don't care. Even NASCAR has gotten away from old tech the now use fuel injection and not spark plugs. So I will have another Beer when I'm done with my pain meds from the shoulder replacement I just had on the 24th. So heres to you all and lighten up.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:30 AM   #42

So you are saying due to the fuel injection NASCAR engines do not have spark plugs?
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderd View Post
So you are saying due to the fuel injection NASCAR engines do not have spark plugs?
Well let correct myself they do use spark plugs not carburetors. my bad it's been so long since I used a spark plug. I said the wrong thing. so I'll still have another Beer
Old 06-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
Well let correct myself they do use spark plugs not carburetors. my bad it's been so long since I used a spark plug. I said the wrong thing. so I'll still have another Beer
I was thinking too much pain meds LOL.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #45

Yeah well it's been a very long time since I bought a spark plug for anything but my john deere lawn tractor. They very good drugs percocet but haven't taken much don't like the side affects of narcotics.

i
Old 06-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #46

to 7am brewsky

"I really don't care about the power stroke or the duramax engines and what the use as I DON'T EVER SEE ME OWNING EITHER OF THOSE TWO ENGINES"
..............and I don't give a cats jasper that you wont.....so you lighten up .

man, I like to stir....its fun. ...so
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #47

Rodgers..... I think you are the one that needs to lighten up! I was seriously asking which Cat engines took glow plugs. I wasn't arguing with you saying you are wrong. I have also worked on several engines from the 70's era to today. I have worked on: 3208, 3408, 3306, 3406, 3116, 3126, 3176, c7, c10, c12, and c15 Cat engines and none of them had glow plugs. That is why I asked, what Cat engines took glow plugs!!!!

As far as glow plugs being old technology, that just makes me laugh. You, of all people, should know that old technology doesn't mean it's bad. The fact is, they have built these engines so good now that none of them need glow plugs. They aren't like the old glow plugs where you had to turn the ignition on for 1 minute and wait. In fact, my glow plugs rarely even come on in the summer months.

And that is fine that you would never own a Duramax or Powerstroke. But I hope you didn't make your decision based on the engine. Anybody with mechanical knowledge should know that choosing any of the big three is a good decision. They are so similar now that they are using the same basic design turbos and fuel systems. So before you put yourself in a corner saying Cummins is the best, do a little research first.

Have a good day and enjoy that beer. I think I'll have a whiskey straight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #48

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the 3408 was an on road application also. They were put in trucks in the 70's for the big straps that wanted to get to the top of the hill first.

Nights camped 2015....23
Old 06-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #49

OK, I may have been a little touchy. But I felt you questioned my knowledge of Cat engines with out knowing my background. C7 C9 C10 C11 C12C13 C15 C16 and so on are truck engines starting in 2003 and later . There are 3406 engines use in off road applications.About a 3408 in a truck can't never seen one, that would be a costly engine to use in a truck. Very big crank camshaft and pistons all 3 or so times bigger than other truck parts. I read a cam shaft could go for $15K I don't know that for sure. You know you need a big hoist to lift most parts.
And didn't have the same emission standards. Old is a matter of opinion and mine only matters to me. Owning a RAM is also a choice. I've driven a RAM for almost 20 years my last one for 17+years, with no major breakdowns. The best ford motor I ever had was the 300 straight six a work horse. I liked nothing about the V6. For me the new 6.7 and the Aisin tranny are the best. I plan on keeping this one another 17 yrs. A beer when I heal and some 12 year old slow aged Rum I got for Father's Day. I hope to meet you at a FROG rally sometime if I haven't already.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #50

It's all good! I just went to Google images and there is a bunch of photos of 3408's in trucks when you type in Peterbilt Cat 3408. Here is one:

Nights camped 2015....23
Old 06-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #51

So the guy had a hick up in a response. Let it it go. How.Long Ya gonna flog that dead mule? Go hug your kid.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #52

Hey that's cool have never seen one thanks for the pic. We made so many different apps. You ever work on a 3412 very big we made one for a high output marine 1200 horse power quad turbo took two of the per yacht. 3408 and 3412 are now built in TX.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:23 AM   #53

No. I have only ever worked on trucks. And the 3408 is the biggest truck engine I have worked on. Now all I work on is school buses. Most of them have the B series Cummins in them, but we have a lot of Navistar engines and a few Cats and Mercedes too.

Nights camped 2015....23
Old 06-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #54

If it is deleted and had ARP head studs,rock that bad boy!!! Like people said above, get gauges and monitor the vitals.

i've had a 03 7.3 and then an 07 6.0. The 6.0 is a powerhouse but when EGR crap started to take a dump as 104K it was time to replace.

I should have never sold my 03 7.3...... Now i have 2014 Duramax/Allison combo and it is a beast and love it! Deleted and tuned. Tows with absolute ease.

I had 2 Cummins between and the 2010 3500 was great but I deleted it as well. The newer EGR junk is the achilles heal in a diesel. Not needed IMHO.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power