Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #1

2005 f-250 power stroke

Does anyone own one of these and what is your experience with this engine???
I have no experience with diesel, so i need to know the ups and down of this engine.
Truck i'm looking at is: 2005 ford F-250 XLT 4x4 diesel with 83000 miles or 133000 kilos.
Is this a good engine or is it troublesome????
Would you recommend this engine???
Thanks
Mike
micalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #2

Ohhh boy..!! That's a can o' worms. I would go over here to the powerstroke.org forum and do some reading.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #3

can-o-worms???? the engine or the question, i know, i know
Looking at the forum and not knowing to much about diesel and all abreviation they use, i'll probably be reading for the rest of the year as there are so much on there.
I tought i might be able to get a resume from people that have or had one of them.
Thanks for your reply,i'll start reading......
Mike
Old 06-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #4

The question... I have had one. I had an 04' and loved it. I never had an issue with mine, but asking the question could lead to a lot of controversy and deep seated feelings. Probably best to keep that confined to the PSD forum rather than FRF.. and most any question you could have has been beaten to death of there.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #5

6.7 or 7.3? The 6.7 had some issue, the 7.3 is the one most sought after. I own a cummins so I don't know a lot about the Fords, but I have a really good mechanic that says the 7.3 is better motor but with some tweaking the 6.7 can be good as well.

You might try going to the Ford forums as someone else suggested.
GmanHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #6

there were some troublesome areas in the 6.0 motor [2003-2007].EGR and headstuds...head gasket blowing. there were aftermarket fixes that made the truck bulletproof. try and find out what has happened maintainance wise and have ford run an oasis report [warranty work done]...there's a chance its a good truck. older Canadian trucks get rust.
what will you be towing?
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #7

05 was the 6 litre. I have a 2006, put some work into it and love the torque it has. Try FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiast) forum, go to the 6.0 section and read until your eyes pop out.
Most threads on that message board are littered with problems and complaints....but that is what they attract. You get the idea.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #8

I had an 05 F250 Lariat and loved it. I traded it for an 06 F350 lariat DRW. Love it too! They are great trucks IF you know what you are getting yourself into and what to look for. As others have said, go to the FTE forum and read up on them.

In a nutshell, you need something to monitor the engines vitals. A lot of people use the scan gauge 2. Monitor the oil temp and coolant temp. After driving at a steady 65 mph for 15 minutes, the difference of those two temps should not be more than 15 degrees. If it is, you need a new oil cooler. Check the FICM volts. Should never be less than 45. Make sure battery voltage doesn't go below 10. That kills injectors. Keeping an eye on these things will allow you to catch a problem before it become a much bigger, more expensive one. Also, only use OEM filters and if there's an aftermarket oil cap, replace it ASAP. Do not try to save a few bucks with cheap filters

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaTom View Post
I had an 05 F250 Lariat and loved it. I traded it for an 06 F350 lariat DRW. Love it too! They are great trucks IF you know what you are getting yourself into and what to look for. As others have said, go to the FTE forum and read up on them.

In a nutshell, you need something to monitor the engines vitals. A lot of people use the scan gauge 2. Monitor the oil temp and coolant temp. After driving at a steady 65 mph for 15 minutes, the difference of those two temps should not be more than 15 degrees. If it is, you need a new oil cooler. Check the FICM volts. Should never be less than 45. Make sure battery voltage doesn't go below 10. That kills injectors. Keeping an eye on these things will allow you to catch a problem before it become a much bigger, more expensive one. Also, only use OEM filters and if there's an aftermarket oil cap, replace it ASAP. Do not try to save a few bucks with cheap filters

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Good advice here.

Slightly more (bit still sharply abreviated) history:
In 2003 MY Ford replaced the 7.3l diesel with the 6.0l diesel manufactured by International. This diesel engine has been reported by the Detroit News as the most troublesome and repair prone diesel engine ever put in a truck. Most of the problems were sorted out in advance of the 05 MY and that engine actually has several different parts (turbo, oil pickup and drain tubes etc.). Many people consider the 05-07 run pretty reliable. Engines made prior to the 05 MY are the ones with the high repair claims.

Keep in mind all of this is second to how well it has been taken care of. Any Powerstroke that has not had routine oil changes with high quality filters, and BOTH fuel filters changed at regular interval WILL have problems. It is really that simple. GET THE SERVICE HISTORY before you even look at it. A truck without service history is worthless.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #10

7.3 was one of the best diesels ever made.6.0 is the worst diesel made. Run
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Nope your wrong......
Unless we're being vehicle specific. [emoji12]

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434042087908.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	79633

5.7l diesel "junk"
6v92 detroit "junk"

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #12

Sorry. Assumed 7.3 and 6.0 in this thread was vehicle specific.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by micalo View Post
can-o-worms????
See.. told ya.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebarjay View Post
there were some troublesome areas in the 6.0 motor [2003-2007].EGR and headstuds...head gasket blowing. there were aftermarket fixes that made the truck bulletproof. try and find out what has happened maintainance wise and have ford run an oasis report [warranty work done]...there's a chance its a good truck. older Canadian trucks get rust.
what will you be towing?
Just to second this...my bro-in-law has the Powerstroke around the same year (not sure of the engine size.)
He and I are always kidding back and forth with my 07 Chevy Duramax (which I LOVE)...until he had this headstud issue.

Long story shore, the problem never showed up under a normal load, but when he started adding his 7,000 TT to it, it would lose power and get horrible mileage (i.e., 5-7 mpg or so!). Struggle dot make it up an easy grade in MI.

Turns out, under a load, the head studs would allow a small gap and it would lose compression. He is a mechanic by trade and fixed it with the head stud repair, but not without a cost. He said he had to take the whole front end of the truck apart to get to everything. Replaced everything he needed for around $2,000...HIS COST!! VERY labor intensive. He ended up quoting a customer to do it for around $5,000 or so.

Like some others have said (since I'm not a Ford guy myself) I'd check out the Powerstroke forums, but kind of watch out for the issue. It won't show up under a normal test drive spin around the block.

His truck is running great now, but he doesn't put down my Chevy quite as much anymore!

* 2007 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.6 Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Roadmaster Active Suspension on the rear and Bullydog Tuner
* Sabre 32 RCTS 5th Wheel
* Trailer Saver BD3 hitch
Mikehend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #15

We have a 06 F250 with the 6.0 and its not for the faint of heart IMO. We bought ours used and went through two EGR coolers under warranty. Also had a blown head gasket, which is the point that I tore it down for a couple of weeks to machine the heads, install head studs, new egr/oil cooler setup. Was $3k in parts alone from BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0 and 6.4 in order to make it right. I did this work at about 100k miles and now at around 170k with no issues. Only issues that I've had was a bad fuel injector since then. These trucks are prone to sticky injectors since they're oil pressure driven. Some people have FICM issues too, but knock on wood, I haven't. Anyways, after all that I've put into it, we're not giving her up. And I'm not sure I'd advise anyone to buy one of the 6.0 variants. JMO though.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #16

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I bought and still have my 2004, 6.0 Powerstroke. I got it used at Hoffpauir in Lampasas, Texas, at 72,000 miles in November 2011. I got the history on it from the original owner. He had to have the EGR valve coolor replace two months before he traded it in. I paid $20,000 for the truck and so far, I've really loved it. I get over 13 MPG,,,,which I wish was more. I change the oil every 6 or 7 thousand miles. I change BOTH fuel filters every other oil change. The diesel mechanic in Lampasas said to blow it out once a week from 30 to 70, keep Lucas fuel treatment in it......and not a drop of diesel has gone into it without the Lucas. I've pulled our 6000# Jayco TT from Texas to the Oregon Coast through the Rockies and I've also taken our 9400# Forest River Windjammer to the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. I pulled it up over Monarch Pass on Highway 50 in Colorado, and the temp gauges on the engine AND transmission didn't even know it was pullin that weight......the same temps as if I weren't towing. And if you know Monarch Pass, you know that that was one heck of a good job to accomplish. So far I'm very happy about how our F250 is doing. I prayed the day before I found it asking the Lord to send me a good truck that I'd be happy with.......this happened the next day. I now have about 108,000 miles on it. What can I say more than that???
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #17

Thanks everyone, i think i have enough answer to make up my mind.
I really appreciate all your answers.
Yarome,,,,, can-o-worm closed
Have a good day everyone.
From Montreal, Can
Mike
Old 06-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #18

I have a 2005 F250 with 150,000 miles, 6.1 diesel, pulling 2011 Gray Wolf 19RR with Goldwing motorcycle loaded. Works well, since I bought it in 2011 with 125,000, I have had the transmission rebuilt, and replaced the "FICM" unit. Had a problem with the Blower hose blowing off on the fuel injection system when the pressure gets over 20 PSI. (Think I finally got that fixed). Does pretty good it I keep it under 70, in tow mode, but will lug down on some of the hills in Arkansas. My only experience pulling a RV. It seemed to be to much for my previous F150 with a six cylinder Gas engine. The F250 truck tow package works well, and handles the load OK. I get about 10-11 MPG when pulling the RV, and about 16-19 mpg when unhooked.
ShawneeOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #19
New:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Agreed!!!!
New: 2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2016 Equinox Tow Vehicle
old: 2013 FR Rockwood 2318G w/ 2001 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #20

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I just hope that I have one that wasn't made on a Friday. We'll see.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power