Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #21
Rodney & Patty

Loved the 7.3... loathed the 6.0. Mileage was terrible 13 day in day out and 7 pulling my 29th 5er. The egr system and passenger side fuel rail went at 28k and the service manager at the local Ford garage told me to get rid of it before the warranty run out...also spent time in the shop for electronic issues in the dash and a new odometer. .. Never been a Dodge lover at all but a huge fan of Cummins. .. better milage, more torque, no headaches.
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
See.. told ya.
I love the afternoon laugh fest.Yarome this was the best. Now micalo you will find those of us that like Diesel motors really like the and are very "brand loyal" so know you may be asking a nut what kind of nuts he likes. Mileage not as big a issue on the diesel as the maintenance is the better you care for your motor the longer it will last you. They aren't a cheap motor to own. so have the ability to work on them or the money to get it fixed Have fun with the new to you truck.
THERE'S ONLY ONE THING THAT WOULD MAKE IT BETTER
RAM/CUMMINGS DIESEL 6.7 L
I LOVE MY TRUCK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	79667  
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #23

Love my new 2015 Ram 3500 6.7L good by old 2001 F350 7.3L I haven't missed it yet he served his time well for 135,000 miles. Best engine I really don't know that answer it didn't blow up on me so guess it was a good motor. I like my John Deere diesel engine also I think maintenance plays the most for a durable engine.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:31 PM   #24

2005 Power Stroke

I have a 2005 King Ranch Power Stroke 6.0 and love it. It has given me no problems.
I had the 7.3 before that and loved it also and I do believe it is the best diesel engine but they stopped putting them in Fords in 2003 and only a limited amount in that year. So with all the EPA stuff you cant get them now.
I think the problems a lot of people have with their diesels is they don't give them a few min. to cool down after a long run.
alayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #25

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I've talk to a couple people lately about diesels,,,,and both of them didn't know about turning the ignition on and letting the glow plugs heat up. They started the engine as soon as they turned the key on. They haven't had any problems......I'd say "yet".....I make sure my glow plugs are hot before I fire. Being as it's a 6.0....I do everything by the book to make sure I baby it. But I sure do enjoy its power once I get it warmed up.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Nope your wrong......
Unless we're being vehicle specific. [emoji12]

Attachment 79633

5.7l diesel "junk"
6v92 detroit "junk"

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
I can't believe you would run down the road oilers!! Lol! This will scare you..... Most of the boats the Coast Guard use are running two stroke Detroit's still today. But after being a diesel mechanic for 13 years now, I think International is the worst engine manufacturer on the market. There is a reason they are shutting down their Maxxforce plant. We have at least one Maxxforce DT tore down in our shop at all times.
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #27

Micalo - One more log on this fire. I had an '05 Ford 6.0 L Power Joke diesel. Always did the factory recommended maintenance at the dealer. In 90,000 miles had the following issues: vacumm pump quit (no cruise control, heater on max defrost at all settings); glow plugs replaced (twice); when the glow plugs short out they burn up the glow plug wiring harness (also replaced twice); glow plug control module replaced; oil cooler and EGR coolers replaced (this is a huge job on this engine); turbocharger replaced; Fuel Injector Control Module replaced. Truck went through brakes on at least one wheel every year due to frozen calipers. Replaced it with a Ram 3500 dually with a Cummins. There's a reason you can buy a kit to replace a 6.0 with a Cummins.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #28

Diesels in general require much more attention, strict maint, and care. Especially in the winter months. Your maint. costs will be higher than with gasoline engines. I have two 6.0 diesels, both are 2005's. I bought them both with 30,000 miles on them. They both are now in the 160,000 mile range. I am happy with both of them. The only big repairs I have experienced with them to date are replacing injectors. Like someone else said on here the earlier 6.0's up to 2004 were pretty much disasters. By 2005 most of the "bugs" were worked out. The 6.0's have excellent, unbeatable torque and pulling power. I also own 3 trucks with N14 Cummins engines in big rig tractors. I have one Dodge 1 ton with a Cummins engine also. If you do your research and find out as much as you can about the used truck, its maint. history like someone else said too, you can make a better decision. Someone else mentioned that you should stay away from after market fuel and oil filters too. That is a must with the 6.0's. I would want to know as much as possible about its maint history and how well it was taken care of. Some of that will be evident by just looking it over good yourself. Hope this helps.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:16 AM   #29

Other than the $100 oil changes my 2005 6.0 was a good truck. I had one issue with a bad EGR valve fixed under warranty. Make sure you use ford fuel filters and o-ring (has 2). I thought I was having a serious issue. Would not run over 2000 rpms. It was the aftermarket o-ring allowing air into the fuel line. Ford did an injector flush at 100000 miles and it ran like a new truck and also quieter. There was also an issue with the coolant cap on these not holding pressure. Buy a 16 PSI after market cap.

My son bought an 06 used with only 50000 mile on it. Had to have heads done a month later. the 6.0 is capable of making huge HP and torque number with mods and tuners. this is when the heads issue shows up. Bolts can't handle the increased HP. If the previous owner did any mods or was running a tuner that puts out over 100 additional HP and did not do the head studs you could have problems.

Look for EGR delete b/c this will keep you from getting a clean inspection in most states. Look at the coolant reservoir for bloating or deformation. Sign of head issue. Lots a white residue on and around coolant bottle for sign of bad cap or head issue, Look for white smoke from the tail pipe, sign of cracked EGR cooler.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #30

Love my 7.3 !!!!!

I take care of it and it takes care of me
It is in top condition and people often think it is newer than it is.
However, the wife complains about the noise... until it heats up

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdenslow View Post
Loved the 7.3... loathed the 6.0. Mileage was terrible 13 day in day out and 7 pulling my 29th 5er. The egr system and passenger side fuel rail went at 28k and the service manager at the local Ford garage told me to get rid of it before the warranty run out...also spent time in the shop for electronic issues in the dash and a new odometer. .. Never been a Dodge lover at all but a huge fan of Cummins. .. better milage, more torque, no headaches.
MY 05 got 19 Average and 14 towing 15000lbs. I now have a 2001 7.3 that is great condition.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #32

I only gor rid of it b/c I needed a longer bed.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #33

Wow glow plugs, I used to to put those in Caterpillar motors back in the early 80s. Old motors or way behind in technology.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
Wow glow plugs, I used to to put those in Caterpillar motors back in the early 80s. Old motors or way behind in technology.
Gasser's still use spark plugs.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #35

Old motors or way behind in technology

Quote:
...........not so. try wikiup and learn diesel fuel combustion/low flash point.........glowplugs are only needed for starting in cold temps. even 2015 motors down have them....it's what makes them start......have another beer.
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #36

Give him hell deebar. Then tell him about hot compressed air.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #37

Quote:

I used to put unleaded gas in my cars in the 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #38

Bout all they had in the 80's cept for diesel.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #39

Quote:

What Cat engines took glow plugs? I work on on-road engines and have never seen glow plugs in a Cat. And for the record, my 07' Duramax has them.

The Cummins engines do not have glow plugs. All they have is an intake heater, which is more for emissions than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #40

aint google wunnerful !!

Diesel Engines That Are Equipped
With An Air Inlet Heater
If your engine is equipped with an air inlet heater
(AIH) for cold weather starting, only use an approved
continuous
flow ether system that is installed

by Caterpillar or by a Caterpillar dealer. The
engine software must be activated in order to insure
that ether injection and AIH operation will not
occure at the same time. Use of any other manually
or automatically operated ether started aid system
could cause an explosion resulting in injury

SOP with bigger Cat equipment for years Steve. Older D6/7/8/9 dozers, 621, 631, 641, 651 scrapers, 825 compactors, nearly all the bigger glow plug engines from Cat require ether, and plenty of it during temperatures below about 35 degrees above. The new direct injection Cat's do too. Detroit's, Cummins, Mack's, Allis Chalmers, International, and many other engines with or without glow plugs all needed help from ether. The main problem with the older pre-cup machines was, however, poorly designed and maintained glow plug and related electrical systems. It was hard to ever find one that was 100%. I'd have to write a separate chapter about all the trouble Cat has had with glow plugs and electrical over the years.
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power