Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #1

2006 F-150 Trailer Wiring

I normally tow my tt with our tahoe but we have a trip coming up in a few weeks that is going to be within a couple of hours of one of my construction sites. I am planning on taking the tt with me when our trip is over and going up to another rv park close to my construction site to stay a few days. My work truck is an f-150 and it is good to tow my tt as far as weight and all of that. My only problem is I only have a 4 way plug on the back and I need to put a brake controller inside. I have some questions on this wiring. The pig tail for the brake controller is under the dash on the driver side so I should be good to go their with the quick connect. The relay for it is not in the fuse box but it does have a place for it. My question is do I need to just get a relay and put it in the proper place in the fuse box? Also should my wiring be ran to the back of the truck for a 7 way plug already or will I have to run new wiring? The only plug I have is a 4 way but their could be more wiring, I haven't been able to look yet.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Site Team

normally, if a truck only has the 4 pin plug, it doesn't have the factor tow package.
that would include the 7 pin connector, tranny cooler, pre-wiring/plugin for a brake controller, type III/IV hitch receiver.
sounds like yours may have a aftermarket receiver.

taking your VIN to the Ford dealer would confirm this.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #3

Yes it does have an aftermarket reciever that I had put on a while back. I didn't get it put on for the tt but for general towing of trailers for work. The thing that is throwing me off is that it does have the pre wiring/plugin for a brake controller.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Site Team

i seriously doubt it does, cause you would need a 7 pin connector to allow for a connection between it and the trailer brakes. wiring for a 4 pin trailer means it has no brakes.

i'm pretty sure you'll have to pay for someone to install wiring for a brake controller. and you still probably don't have a tranny cooler.

it's not cheap to add the equivalent of a factory tow package.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #5

I don't know, I will have to check into it some more when I can get underneath and look at it. I just know it has basically the same plug under the dash that I had my silverado 2500's brake controller hooked to. I only plan on towing the tt for about 2 hours with it so I don't want to put much money into it as it has 180,000 miles on it and I probably won't keep it for much longer. I can justify the cost for a good brake controller because I can take it out before I get rid of it but I can't justify spending a fortune on wiring so either way I will be doing it myself if I decide to do it. It will just be a lot easier if it is pre wired for the 7 way.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #6

Maybe this can help.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake_con...Ford_F150.aspx

or

Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2009 Ford F150 Video | etrailer.com

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #7

As an update, I put a 7 way plug and a trailer brake control in my truck this weedend and It was so easy. If anyone needs to do the same and has on 2006 f150 just ask and I will help if I can. And thanks everyone who posted links and gave advice.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #8

more info please...

Sounds like I have the same issue as you did. Pre-wired for 4-flat (not the round 7)...and looks like I might have a plug in under driver's side dash?? Hoping to do this myself as the truck has 250,000+ miles on it. want to drag the kid's horse trailer around. Just looking for a few more details as to what you had to do...if you get this message...thanks!
kilnguy is offline   Reply With Quote