Old 03-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
2006 Flagstaff 27bhss

Good evening all,

Looks like we will be purchasing a 2006 FLAGSTAFF 27BHSS. Dry weight is approx 4900lbs. Been pulling a 1991 Coleman Chesapeake PU. No brakes and when I don't like the few or don't feel like backing up straight I just picked it up. Going from a 50lb van pulling a 5lb camper to the flip side. It looks like I should be able to pull it from what I can see. Any suggestions or preferences in weight distribution Reese vs. Blue Ox and brake controllers? Going to have either Restless Wheels or Reines RV (both Manassas VA) Center put both on so I will be done right (I hope). Tks in advance for any info, insight or suggestions.

PS:my Siberian husky Stryker would like to know of any dog friendly preferably somewhere North/cold of DC to camp.

I found some info in the owner manual. Under the Trailer Towing Table I get the following.
Engine (EFI) 5.8L
Rear Axle Ratio 3.55
Max GCWR 12,000LB (5,443Kg)
Trailer Weight Range 0-6,900Lb (0-2,994Kg)
Max Frontal Area or Trailer 60.

Rear Axle Code:19
Description: Ford
Capacity: 3,800Lbs (1,723Kgs)
Ratio: 3.55

The 2 dealers close to me have either the Blue Ox (Reines RV Manassas VA) or Reese (Restless Wheel Manassas VA) weight distribution kits. Has anyone used these systems or dealers?

JOHNNLISA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
sorry, i havent. i have reese, but i have a light HTT

I have a heavier TT that is 11000 lbs but plan to park at beach.

i havent used the products you mentioned, there are many good ones available. i have heard that equalizer is a value and prodigy a good controller but i do not have either.

I wanted you to know we respond to post, sorry i dont have any experience with these parts

enjoy camping

wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Hmmm, I don't tow, so am responding more to push your question up the list a bit. I've read a bit about the blue Ox systems, but haven't seen many in use. Reese has a lot of satisfied customers.
  • Salem 401-2b; 31" Sony Trinitron and two channels on the antenna.
  • Smokin' hot wife... 2 boys, 25 and 10.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
I have the Reese weight distribution and anti sway system, it works real well. My first camper was a Fleetwood Mallard approx 6,000 lbs and now I have a Rockwood 8314ss and the approx weight is 7,910 lbs. the same Reese system was used on both, the only difference is that the Roockwood needed a 12,000 lbs hitch. I have been using the Reese system for 8 years.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote