2007 Expedition: HD tow package?
My dad has had this vehicle for a couple of years. It's the extended "EL", which means it got the 3.73 axle ratio standard. Question is, does it have the HD towing package or not. From what I have studied, the 3.73 axle does not guarantee the full 9000 lbs rating. You need the HD towing package, regardless of which axle you have.
Is there an easy, visual indicator that would ensure he has the HD towing package or not?
I have studied the 2007 Ford towing guide (as well as other model years), and have learned:
1. It's not like the Explorer, where simply looking at the hitch tells you which package you have. Standard hitch is good for the full rating.
2. Axle ratio has no effect on max tow rating or GCVWR. HD tow gets ~9000 lbs rating (3.55 or 3.73). No HD tow gets 6000 lbs rating (3.55 or 3.73).
4. HD tow package includes an upgrade from 4-flat to the 7-round connector. Is that true? Has anybody ever seen this gen Expy with a 4-flat connector? 6000lb rating should have provision for brakes. Please confirm. If this is true, this would be the easiest way to tell if you have the HD tow package.
5. Std trans cooler is 7-channel; HD tow cooler is 11-channel. Can this be checked thru the grill, or from beneath?
6. HD tow gets a radiator upgrade. Is there any visual indicator as to which radiator it has?
7. HD tow gets "Electronic Brake Wiring Kit", while the Std does not. What is this kit? Is that the socket under the dash and/or pigtail for the controller? HD tow (according to #4) already has everything set up at the rear. Or maybe this is the fuses/relays under the hood?
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller