Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Just to add to the OASIS report. It is what all your service records for a FORD dealer gets put into. So if you go to Michigan then Texas then back to Minnesota then Florida. They all can pull your OASIS report. So it does not matter.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #22
I just tow the TT for DW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan View Post
Jammer - you might also want to look at the 08-10 F250/350 with the V10.
If you are only driving it periodically, then that V10 might be the long term cheaper option. I've seen several in the 20-25 range.
This is the exact reason I went with a V10 over a diesel. I only use the truck for towing and weekend trips to take the household trash to the dump. Otherwise, the truck just sits until it's time to camp. As a point of reference, I bought the truck in my signature with 32k miles just about 6 weeks ago, and I paid $26995. Dealer had discounted it over $5k due to the rise in gas prices, and he had been sitting on it for far too long.

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #23

Wow Buckeye and KampK, you all have a point with the v10! What kind of gas mileage do you get pulling with the v10 buckeye? By the way very nice truck in your pic !
Jammer6921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #24

Kamp has the V10. I will let him say, but my guess is 10-12 Hiway no load, 9-10 city, 7-9 with a load.

I have the 6.4L.
I get:
HiWay no load @ 75 -> 15 -16 MPG
HiWay w/ 8500 lbs @ 70 -> 9-11
City no load - 12-14.

But factor in my $150 oil changes at 5K and $190 fuel filter every 10K to the "better mileage" before you say the Diesel is better.
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #25
I just tow the TT for DW!

Buckeyefan obviously knows his stuff. I haven't really driven on the highway other than when I drove home the 5 hours from picking the truck up out of state. Got right at 13 mph on that trip, all interstate. I am seeing 11 on the country backroads that I live on when I do take the truck out. I have not towed the TT in my signature yet, as it's still on order, but I will be thrilled with anything near 9 mpg as my TT will weigh in the neighborhood of 9k lbs loaded. Most of our trips are 3 hours or less, so the low MPG was not as big a factor for us when deciding on a tow vehicle. My bigger concern was having enough payload and truck to safely handle a 34' trailer that was gonna weigh 9k lbs. Knowing that I wouldn't be driving it much outside of camping season and not wanting to worry too much about maintenance outside of "normal" made the V10 a logical choice for us.

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #26

Just a word of warning on the Ford 6.4's, an issue has surfaced. There is something going wrong in the fueling and they are starting to burn down pistons, and the whole motor goes. The details are still sketchy, as it is a very new problem.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Just a word of warning on the Ford 6.4's, an issue has surfaced. There is something going wrong in the fueling and they are starting to burn down pistons, and the whole motor goes. The details are still sketchy, as it is a very new problem.
The engine has been out for 4 years and it's a new problem? Come on...I haven't been on this forum a long time, but I seem to sense a lot of negativity in many of your posts. Not bashing you, just noting a common theme that makes me put a lot of skepticism into your posts.

PS: I frequent several diesel forums, and I haven't seen this as a common issue.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #28

Hello, I might be a little biased since i have an 2006 6.0L, however, a family member works for a ford dealership. From what the shop guys and the parts guys there have said is ford got most of the wrinkles out for the 2006 and 2007 models. A couple of the main issues were fuel injectors and fuel injection control modals. The only thing that was also expressed to me was that they didn't do well when they had an aftermarket chip. I think the head were prone to failing if the engine was chipped. If one was to chip one though, apparently if used an aftermarket head bolt it tends to solve the issue. I am not a gearhead though.

The only other advice i can offer is in my boss has a 2006 ram. Differences i notice are is the dodge is in my opinion quieter than the powerstroke but the ford is more comfy. Both are good trucks.

Thanks
skgeorgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #29

I work for Dodge so I am very biased to the dodge. the 95-09 trucks are terrible to sit in for long periods at a time, killer on the back. But they are work trucks. Someone posted earlier about 6.7 having weak tranny's, I don't know where that info is from, most issues we see are from owners using programmers. with all that being said I had the pleaser of driving a 08 king ranch last year for two weeks while pulling, I absolutely loved the ride and the power( remember I drive a v10 normally) I fell in love with the ford, the fuel milage was awful tho, we had that truck down to 4.2km per liter. but from what you keep posting it sounds like you want the truck and are waiting for someone on here to tell you to just buy it. If it is a sweet deal there is probably a reason for it.

My 2 cents.
2005 Polaris sportman 500HO (mine)

trailraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #30

Buy it!

If the initial price is that good, then any future repairs will be offset.

I work in a shop that only sees Fords. I'm a Ford Diesel Technician, I have seen my fair share of 6.0l with 'head gasket issues', but the majority of these claims are from the Internet.
The venting of the coolant from the overflow tank, is due to the exhaust gas pressure getting into the cooling system. The engine oil cooler coolant flow is just before the EGR cooler. When the oil cooler gets restricted (from lack of coolant flushes) the coolant cannot flow to the EGR cooler. When the exhaust gases come right out of the exhaust manifold and hit the EGR cooler it melts the inlet side of the heat exchanger. The engine is an air pump and will fill the cooling system with exhaust gases until the pressure is depleted. The pressure of the exhaust system operates at 24 psi and the cooling system operates at 16 psi., with the difference in pressure the coolant will get pushed out of the overflow tank.

If the previous owner can't provide service records and says he does his own maintenance, ask them a bunch of questions and see if they can give you a thorough answer. Or get a pre purchase inspection by a Ford Diesel Technician and have them remove the EGR valve and inspect for moisture. Then base your opinion to purchase on the results of the inspection.

And if I could close on this note: a good vehicle gets you to your destination and a bad vehicle gets you to the shop.
zx5chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #31

fordman, I post a warning and just because you have a 6.4, you attack me personally?
The issue is showing up on trucks with some miles on them, and of course not every one will fail.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #32

Hey guys thanks for all the advice, great info !!!! I have been re-reading all your posts and my consensus is similar to my earlier post. Their all mechanical pieces of equipment that will have issues from time to time! Soooooo I will keep looking for a cream puff The original one I was looking at has been purchased. zx5chris I appreciate your comments, sounds like you've worked on the 6.0 personally and have first hand experience on diesels. So im off tomorrow to look at another prospect! Another 07 250 6.0 Lariett ) I think thats how you spell that !!!!!
Jammer6921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
fordman, I post a warning and just because you have a 6.4, you attack me personally?
The issue is showing up on trucks with some miles on them, and of course not every one will fail.
Like I said in my post, not attacking you, just an observation. It has nothing to do with my having a 6.4. I have seen negative posts on the Ford EcoBoost from you as well. I just don't like folks spreading stuff like "there is a problem starting to show up" when they've heard of 1 or 2 instances from folks on the internet, but don't show any proof to back it up. Everything has problems, as Jammer has (righfully) come to the conclusion. If the issue you mention was truly a major issue, it would be all over the diesel forums...it is not. I'm done with this as I don't want to cause any hard feelings or derail the thread...just making an observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer6921 View Post
Hey guys thanks for all the advice, great info !!!! I have been re-reading all your posts and my consensus is similar to my earlier post. Their all mechanical pieces of equipment that will have issues from time to time! Soooooo I will keep looking for a cream puff The original one I was looking at has been purchased. zx5chris I appreciate your comments, sounds like you've worked on the 6.0 personally and have first hand experience on diesels. So im off tomorrow to look at another prospect! Another 07 250 6.0 Lariett ) I think thats how you spell that !!!!!
My thoughts exactly, and why I almost bought an '05! Yes, all mechanical things have issues, and the '03-'04 6.0 had (probably) more than their fair share. The '06-'07 were pretty good.

Good luck in your search...it can be fun and nerve wracking! Oh, and it is spelled Lariat.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #34

fordman, the issue in question did not come "from folks on the internet", but from our local dealer.
End of discussion.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #35

aw! If anyone wants a 06 f-250 6.0l with all the 'bad things'taken care of.....I have one for sale in Alberta

And if anyone is going to buy a use vehicle... get it inspected by the manufacture service center. You might have to pay a bit more, but they 'know' a bunch of things that independent shops may not know.
zx5chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #36

When I was looking back in 2007, I actually had a Ford dealer tell me he wouldn't recommend a 6.0 Powerstroke. He said that 1 out of every 2 he sold was in the shop multiple times with problems. I've owned an 08 with the 6.4 Pstroke for two years and it has been problem free, knock on wood.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #37

I would have to agree with the above, seems about a 50/50 shot on getting a good 6.0 for at least the first 2 years. I have no experience with the 6.4, but a couple of mechanics told me they were just as bad for the first year or so, but nobody I know has one, they were all scared away by the 6.0 and went to other brands.
As much as the 7.3 gets raved, you couldnt chase me down fast enough to give me a 94-95 7.3 powerstroke. I know a few that got them when they came out and spend more time in a loaner car than their new truck, but it was not major engine trouble, mostly wiring and trans issues.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #38

I have a 2007 F-250 with the 6.0 diesel motor and love it! I have been towing a 28 ft fifth wheel for the past two years with it and haven't had any issues with it. The "issues" with the 6.0 were worked out by 2006 however Ford and Navistar were already working on the 6.4. I bought my truck used when the first owner "upgraded" to a 6.4. It wasn't long before I heard that he wished he hadn't sold the 6.0 as the 6.4 was thirsty. Every manufacturer has issues, although GM has used the Duramax for several years, it isn't the same motor it was when it was introduced. They were notorious for injectors.

My advice is buy what you want but do as much homework on it as you can. Ford dealerships can run an Oasis report on their vehicles listing work done at any Ford dealership.
8261ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #39

Find a good deal, and put the savings into a good extended warranty.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #40

Jammer, I won't comment on which I think is better among the big 3 diesel makers, but I would suggest you go and test drive all 3 (make sure to tow the same load with each for comparison) before narrowing down your choices. I also wouldn't be scared of higher mileage vehicles as most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are designed for commercial use (I bought my Duramax with 300k on it already).

Every truck will have it's pros/cons as well as work arounds (for instance, I used EFI Live to create a turbo engine brake on mine while towing) so you'll need to figure out what works for you. One thing I will say is that diesels are not cheap to own as parts and repairs can be ungodly expesive so you'll want good dealer service records on whatever you buy. My final suggestion is to surf the diesel forums of trucks your interested in to get an idea of issues for years/models/engines/trannys/etc you might be considering.

Hope this helps.

Tags
f250