Old 10-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET2005 View Post
Ah Terier...I may have misused some terminology. The base weight from factory is 4300lbs. With dealer and buyer ordered options the unit weighs in at 4730lbs. Yes, it is a bunkhouse and we have two little girls (1yr & 3yrs). The four of us plus carseats weigh in at roughly 386lbs. I'm figuring roughly 500-600lbs of added weight to include food, clothing, toys, equipment, etc... and do not plan on traveling with water in the tank as everywhere we go has water on site. That will bring the unit from 4730 to 5330lbs.

I guess the ready-to-camp weight means everything and not just the TT itself...my mistake. I plan to have everything weighed at the CAT scales to get accurate numbers, but from my number crunching it looks like worse case scenario will still be under my max tow weight by 1,000lbs. The tongue weight and/or payload capacity could get tight depending on how they set things up. I know I will toe the line so to speak.
Thanks for clarifying. I don't have enough knowledge when it comes to figuring out possible tow vehicles (in general, not this thread) and I thought you were onto something I could use.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #12

Last place I would put trust in is a dealership and RV manufacture. Only you can make the decision. I've BTDT with my 06 Frontier V6 2wd Scab. Same power as yours but I only towed 4050lbs @22'. Not 5500lbs at 29'. IMO you're making a serious mistake. If that TT ever gets to swaying your Taco will be hard pressed to control it. If for whatever reason you lose the TT brakes or just two of them the good luck trying to stop it. I'm not going weight police on you and don't feel that you need a DRW for a popup. I personally tow over my trucks GVW by 200lbs. But under the RAWR by 1100lbs. Big difference in being over a little with a 3/4 ton vs maxed out with a small truck. NO margin for error in small trucks. Last thing I will do is put my pride ahead of common sense.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #13

Sorry goduc, that does not make sense. It is Ok to go over on a 3/4 but be under max on a small truck? So small trucks have no margin but large trucks do? If some one looses the brakes on a 130000 lbs trailer with a 3/4 ton your going to have a hard time stopping it to.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #14

It does make sense. My 2500 is the same as a 3500 except for rear springs. Once you reach the RAWR on a small truck you're at the GVW. Not so with HD trucks. RAWR and FAWR combined are higher than the trucks GVW. When you reach the Tacos GVW you're maxed out on RAWR. Same as 1/2 ton trucks. I also have an exhaust brake because it's a diesel. That right there helps in slowing down the load. I guarantee you that I can come down a mountain pass without TT'5'er brakes. I descend them all the time and rarely use my trucks brakes. I turn on the TH mode and the truck actually slows down too much sometimes.

Like I said in an earlier post I towed with the same type small truck and it was barely adequate and the TT was 1500lbs lighter and 7' shorter. I traded in the 06 Frontier on an 08 F150 and it was night and day different. I'm not going weight police here, I'm giving a seat of the pants review. Take it anyway you want. The OP can spin it anyway he wants but IMO he's in for a rude awaking. The 1st time he comes around a corner at 55mph and has to hit the brakes hard for an emergency, he'll know what I mean.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #15

As I feared, this thread is spinning out of control. I wanted responses from those who had first hand experience towing with a Tacoma or similar truck. Instead it is turning into an argument. Perhaps it is my own fault. I'm not trying to "spin" anything nor would I put my pride ahead of my family's safety.

I hope to read more responses, positive or negative, that are pertinent to the original question of towing with a Tacoma or similar. I can take constructive criticism, but have no use for a I'm right and you're wrong contest. I need good intel.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET2005 View Post
As I feared, this thread is spinning out of control. I wanted responses from those who had first hand experience towing with a Tacoma or similar truck. Instead it is turning into an argument. Perhaps it is my own fault. I'm not trying to "spin" anything nor would I put my pride ahead of my family's safety.

I hope to read more responses, positive or negative, that are pertinent to the original question of towing with a Tacoma or similar. I can take constructive criticism, but have no use for a I'm right and you're wrong contest. I need good intel.
You can ask for your refund at the door

You don't want to hear people's responses unless they fit what you want to hear. You won't get that around here, you are going to get the good, the bad and the ugly.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #17

I gave you my real world review of towing with a similar truck. I guarantee you won't get a review of anyone towing a 29' TT with a Tacoma.

My advice is to post your question over at these two sites and see what you get.
RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information
iRV2 Forums
Old 10-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #18

I have to disagree FX2. I came here and posted SPECIFICALLY to get the good, the bad, and the ugly. I am not at all upset about people telling me I am, or am not, in the wrong. What I meant was that I don't care to have different posters arguing within the thread. All I want is information from those who have the experience.

Apparently, I am doing a poor job at communicating what I am looking for. Perhaps I should have asked for those who currently own or have owned a 2005 or later Toyota Tacoma, Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, Ford Ranger, Nissan Frontier, or Dodge Dakota, what RV they towed with it, and their associated experiences. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #19
Site Team

On an open forum you are bound to get a range of feedback, wanted or not.

I tend to take all feedback with a gain of salt. I will keep the information I found helpful and discard the rest.

With reviewing the posts you should be able to weed through the feedback for the specific information you are seeking.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #20

Way overweight and I believe the Tacoma has a pretty low max hitch weight as well. If you came here looking for affirmation on your purchase then you came to the wrong place.

The last place to trust on towing opinions is the RV dealership. 9 times out of 10 they'll sell you something you shouldn't be towing.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem