Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

2007 Tacoma & 2015 Salem Cruiselite 261bhxl

Hello all...I'm new(ish) to the forum and have been soaking up everything on here. There is a lot of good information and I'm looking to get some more...specifically concerning my truck and anticipated TT.

The wife and I have been shopping for the last 18 months or so for an RV. We knew the exact floorplan we wanted and shopped 5 or 6 manufacturers that offered our preferred floorplan. After attending the Hershey RV Show, we decided on a Salem CruiseLite 261BHXL. It is a 29' bunkhouse model with a ready-to-camp weight of 4730lbs. Currently, I drive a 2007 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD with the factory tow package (auxillary oil & tranny coolers) and Air Lift Ride Control Air Springs. It has a 4.0L V6 with a 6-speed automatic transmission. Per the owner's manual, the truck is rated to pull 6500lbs with a tongue weight of 650lbs.

While shopping for an RV, I was always up front with what truck I drove and whether what we wanted could be towed by it. Each and every time, the different dealers went to their books and came back with the affirmative. I know they are there to sell trailers and would tell you almost anything to be successful, but I ALSO conversed with Toyota and they also assured me I would be good to go. So here is the question...

1. Is there anyone out there pulling a similar sized TT with a 2nd generation Tacoma (or similar truck). There are pictures all over the web showing people doing so, but I would like to hear from those who have actually done it.

I look forward to reading any and all responses, but would appreciate if those responding would leave their personal feelings out of it and respond with facts and/or first hand experience. I have read posts all over the web where people say they wouldn't move their kid's red wagon with a Tacoma, but there are as many with people saying they have towed any number of things all over the country.

It goes without saying, but...yes, I will also be purchasing a top notch brake controller and weight distribution system.
JET2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #2

we have 2009 tacoma double cab long bed 4x4 and a rockwood 2109s. your tacoma will do it but don't expect it to be a power house. Don't use overdrive either.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #3

2007 Tacoma & 2015 Salem Cruiselite 261bhxl

I have a 2012 Tacoma double cab prerunner v6 and I pull a micro lite 19fd which weighs just a little under 3000 lbs. The Tacoma does ok, make sure you dont use overdrive (on an automatic you need to put in 4).
Rcbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #4
Site Team

I am wondering how you got the ready to camp weight of 4730 since it doesn't seem that much higher than the shipping wt. You mention it having a bunk house - will there be more than just you & the wife?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:48 AM   #5

Ah Terier...I may have misused some terminology. The base weight from factory is 4300lbs. With dealer and buyer ordered options the unit weighs in at 4730lbs. Yes, it is a bunkhouse and we have two little girls (1yr & 3yrs). The four of us plus carseats weigh in at roughly 386lbs. I'm figuring roughly 500-600lbs of added weight to include food, clothing, toys, equipment, etc... and do not plan on traveling with water in the tank as everywhere we go has water on site. That will bring the unit from 4730 to 5330lbs.

I guess the ready-to-camp weight means everything and not just the TT itself...my mistake. I plan to have everything weighed at the CAT scales to get accurate numbers, but from my number crunching it looks like worse case scenario will still be under my max tow weight by 1,000lbs. The tongue weight and/or payload capacity could get tight depending on how they set things up. I know I will toe the line so to speak.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #6

I have the same TT when I first got it my TV was a 05 explorer sport trac with the 6 cylinder. Your truck has better towing capabilities than my did but it pulled it just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
fx2

You'll have 1,000 lbs of clothes, gear, food, etc. Trust me, I always said no but we still ended up there.

What does the yellow sticker on your door say as far as payload? I think the payload will be your issue. At minimum you MUST have a WDH, I would not go less than an equal-i-zer brand.
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #8

You will regret the buying it the 1st time you take it home. While you Taco seems pretty peppy now, once you get 5500lbs behind it you'll think the parking brake is on.
The average person loads 1000lbs into a TT. Trust me on that one. I didn't believe it either when we bought our 1st TT. Plan on being the last one up the hill every time and getting 8mpg. BTDT with an 06 Frontier and 4050lbs @22' OAL. Figure fuel stops every 100-125 miles.
Next big thing is payload. 386 for family, 100 for WD hitch and 660 for tongue weight. That all adds up to 1146lbs. Are you carrying anything in the truck bed like some firewood, bikes, lawn chairs, etc?

JMHO but 29' and 5500lbs is way, way too much for a Tacoma. The TT has a big flat front and will be hard on the V6 when towing.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #9

I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply and offer their experience. After continued research and review, I have come to the conclusion that most truck/trailer combinations, construction, RV, or otherwise, have to be right at their max or over by a small degree. Unless a full-size truck is pulling a small pop-up, it seems everyone would be put over on their payload capacity, tongue weight, GAWR, or whatever.

At some point, I will have to put a little trust in the RV dealership, the manufacturer of my vehicle, and the manufacturer of the RV. This is the first RV for my wife and me and we tried to make a sound, logical decision. The floorplan we chose is slightly more than we need now, but will be perfect in a couple years when our kids are 5 and 3 instead of 3 and 1. My truck is already 7 years old with 115,000 and still runs like a top, but having a wife and two daughters requires a full-size truck which will come sooner than later. I did not want to trade off on the long-term use of the RV for the short-term problem of a truck that some consider incapable. For those who don't know, Toyota builds one heck of a truck. In the 11 years I have owned one, they have never steered me wrong, so I'm going to have a little faith that they know what they are talking about.

I'm not new to towing. From the time I first earned my driver's license (16) I have pulled everything from a cart behind the lawn mower to a goose neck trailer loaded down with pallets of concrete. I work for the fire department and serve as the driver/operator of fire trucks that come in all shapes and sizes. My point is I am used to "big" and have the respect for how the size and weight of a vehicle changes its handling and abilities.

As I stated in the original post, there are as many people who say "yes" to this question as there are who say "no". I hope to keep reading more responses as knowledge is power and I love to hear from the best teacher...other people's experiences.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I still miss my 2005 Taco! We bought our first 18-foot camper just over 5-years ago (4,000 lbs dry so probably 5,000 lbs loaded).

We pulled the trailer all over Colorado, even over many mountain passes and I often felt sorry for the V-6 in the Taco...she would really have to rev to get up over the passes.

When my wife wanted to upgrade the 18-footer we tried to find something the Taco could handle but there's wasn't much out there to make the trade-in worthwhile. But once we agreed to upgrade both, we spend this summer looking for something to pull behind the new Tundra. (We wanted more room and upgrades the the Rockwood was the perfect fit.)

Let me see if I can post a picture of our old set-up...

8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET2005 View Post
Ah Terier...I may have misused some terminology. The base weight from factory is 4300lbs. With dealer and buyer ordered options the unit weighs in at 4730lbs. Yes, it is a bunkhouse and we have two little girls (1yr & 3yrs). The four of us plus carseats weigh in at roughly 386lbs. I'm figuring roughly 500-600lbs of added weight to include food, clothing, toys, equipment, etc... and do not plan on traveling with water in the tank as everywhere we go has water on site. That will bring the unit from 4730 to 5330lbs.

I guess the ready-to-camp weight means everything and not just the TT itself...my mistake. I plan to have everything weighed at the CAT scales to get accurate numbers, but from my number crunching it looks like worse case scenario will still be under my max tow weight by 1,000lbs. The tongue weight and/or payload capacity could get tight depending on how they set things up. I know I will toe the line so to speak.
Thanks for clarifying. I don't have enough knowledge when it comes to figuring out possible tow vehicles (in general, not this thread) and I thought you were onto something I could use.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #12

Last place I would put trust in is a dealership and RV manufacture. Only you can make the decision. I've BTDT with my 06 Frontier V6 2wd Scab. Same power as yours but I only towed 4050lbs @22'. Not 5500lbs at 29'. IMO you're making a serious mistake. If that TT ever gets to swaying your Taco will be hard pressed to control it. If for whatever reason you lose the TT brakes or just two of them the good luck trying to stop it. I'm not going weight police on you and don't feel that you need a DRW for a popup. I personally tow over my trucks GVW by 200lbs. But under the RAWR by 1100lbs. Big difference in being over a little with a 3/4 ton vs maxed out with a small truck. NO margin for error in small trucks. Last thing I will do is put my pride ahead of common sense.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #13

Sorry goduc, that does not make sense. It is Ok to go over on a 3/4 but be under max on a small truck? So small trucks have no margin but large trucks do? If some one looses the brakes on a 130000 lbs trailer with a 3/4 ton your going to have a hard time stopping it to.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #14

It does make sense. My 2500 is the same as a 3500 except for rear springs. Once you reach the RAWR on a small truck you're at the GVW. Not so with HD trucks. RAWR and FAWR combined are higher than the trucks GVW. When you reach the Tacos GVW you're maxed out on RAWR. Same as 1/2 ton trucks. I also have an exhaust brake because it's a diesel. That right there helps in slowing down the load. I guarantee you that I can come down a mountain pass without TT'5'er brakes. I descend them all the time and rarely use my trucks brakes. I turn on the TH mode and the truck actually slows down too much sometimes.

Like I said in an earlier post I towed with the same type small truck and it was barely adequate and the TT was 1500lbs lighter and 7' shorter. I traded in the 06 Frontier on an 08 F150 and it was night and day different. I'm not going weight police here, I'm giving a seat of the pants review. Take it anyway you want. The OP can spin it anyway he wants but IMO he's in for a rude awaking. The 1st time he comes around a corner at 55mph and has to hit the brakes hard for an emergency, he'll know what I mean.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #15

As I feared, this thread is spinning out of control. I wanted responses from those who had first hand experience towing with a Tacoma or similar truck. Instead it is turning into an argument. Perhaps it is my own fault. I'm not trying to "spin" anything nor would I put my pride ahead of my family's safety.

I hope to read more responses, positive or negative, that are pertinent to the original question of towing with a Tacoma or similar. I can take constructive criticism, but have no use for a I'm right and you're wrong contest. I need good intel.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #16
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET2005 View Post
As I feared, this thread is spinning out of control. I wanted responses from those who had first hand experience towing with a Tacoma or similar truck. Instead it is turning into an argument. Perhaps it is my own fault. I'm not trying to "spin" anything nor would I put my pride ahead of my family's safety.

I hope to read more responses, positive or negative, that are pertinent to the original question of towing with a Tacoma or similar. I can take constructive criticism, but have no use for a I'm right and you're wrong contest. I need good intel.
You can ask for your refund at the door

You don't want to hear people's responses unless they fit what you want to hear. You won't get that around here, you are going to get the good, the bad and the ugly.
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #17

I gave you my real world review of towing with a similar truck. I guarantee you won't get a review of anyone towing a 29' TT with a Tacoma.

My advice is to post your question over at these two sites and see what you get.
RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information
iRV2 Forums
Old 10-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #18

I have to disagree FX2. I came here and posted SPECIFICALLY to get the good, the bad, and the ugly. I am not at all upset about people telling me I am, or am not, in the wrong. What I meant was that I don't care to have different posters arguing within the thread. All I want is information from those who have the experience.

Apparently, I am doing a poor job at communicating what I am looking for. Perhaps I should have asked for those who currently own or have owned a 2005 or later Toyota Tacoma, Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, Ford Ranger, Nissan Frontier, or Dodge Dakota, what RV they towed with it, and their associated experiences. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #19
Site Team

On an open forum you are bound to get a range of feedback, wanted or not.

I tend to take all feedback with a gain of salt. I will keep the information I found helpful and discard the rest.

With reviewing the posts you should be able to weed through the feedback for the specific information you are seeking.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #20

Way overweight and I believe the Tacoma has a pretty low max hitch weight as well. If you came here looking for affirmation on your purchase then you came to the wrong place.

The last place to trust on towing opinions is the RV dealership. 9 times out of 10 they'll sell you something you shouldn't be towing.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem