Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Toy-aholic

2008 Tahoe TV

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm new....We have a '08 Tahoe Z71 5.3L 3.73 gears, tow pkg, trans. cooler. Just ordered a Flagstaff 831KDSS that will weigh in around 6500 dry. My tow rating is listed @ 7200. Dealer asures me we'll be fine as long as I use my head and don't push the hills. I don't see power as being a problem as I currently pull our 5300 lb boat/trailer & hardly know it's there. I'm concerned about sway though...we're pretty much weekend campers so we'll be keeping the trips to < 2hr away. Am I crazy buying a 31' trailer with this setup?
EXGMTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Forum!

The Tahoe is a little short in wheelbase so you'll need to buy a good hitch with sway control such as the Reese dual cam or Equal-i-zer. I've heard a lot of good comments about the Hennessey hitch for sway control, but they are quite pricey. You'll need to load pretty light as that camper will probably be 200 to 300 lbs heavier as delivered with battery, propane, other options.

Happy Camping!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Toy-aholic

I fully intend on w/d & sway control...NOT going to skimp there! I'm not one that needs to keep up with the flow @ 75 mph....much rather get there in one piece a little later. I've been towing various trailers for many years, but nothing this big.My dealer said he'd rather tow with a Tahoe than a pickup just for the rear weight difference. Sure wish there was a way to "test tow" before buying!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
I fully intend on w/d & sway control...NOT going to skimp there! I'm not one that needs to keep up with the flow @ 75 mph....much rather get there in one piece a little later. I've been towing various trailers for many years, but nothing this big.My dealer said he'd rather tow with a Tahoe than a pickup just for the rear weight difference. Sure wish there was a way to "test tow" before buying!!!
Sounds like a case of a dealer telling you what ever he needed to to make the deal. I bet if you had pulled in with a Isuzu Trooper he would have said I'd rather tow with that than a pickup.

I think you will probably be fine, but the dealer sounds dubious to me as so many of them will say anything to make a sale and they don't care about you once your gone down the road with your new trailer.

Make sure you have the proper class rating to the tires. So many SUVs end up with what amounts to "car" tires and from others in your place we have heard that an upgrade to the class rating can make a huge difference in the way it feels going down the road or when a semi passes you.

There are also a few here that have excellent charts as to maximum trailer length for the wheelbase of the tow vehicle. This is a very often overlooked issue that really is important.

Welcome to the forums and send pics of the new rig when you get it, we always love to see new rigs
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
Toy-aholic

I thought the same thing, but he did make a valid point....they have a lot of liability on the line with what they advise and would steer me to a different trailer if he thought it wouldn't work. Guess my next step is to find the best combo of w/d & sway control.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #6

NWJeeper is right about new tires. One of the first things I did with my SUV When I decided to tow was get rid of the Goodyear Wranglers and go to a good set of Truck tires. What a difference in how it handles even when we are not towing. Cut down on the body roll.
KegStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Actually, you can test tow before you buy. If you are in Ontario, Canada a dealer in London will let you test tow BEFORE you buy... This is not an advertisement so send me a p.m. if you want the dealer's name.
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
Toy-aholic

thanks but that's about a 14 hr drive
Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #9

Quote:
I fully intend on w/d & sway control...NOT going to skimp there! I'm not one that needs to keep up with the flow @ 75 mph....much rather get there in one piece a little later.
Nice to hear you say that....some people on the road towing do not think this way.....

As for your T/V, you will probably be hitting your max but with Sway control, you will be just fine.

Enjoy

Night's camped in 2010 36
MrSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Toy-aholic

UPDATE: just traded on 2010 Silverado 2500HD ext cab..problem solved!
Old 03-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #11

Quote:
thanks but that's about a 14 hr drive
Aren't you an RV'er!

You won't be second guessing with that truck! Go big or go home.

Congrats on the new wheels, happy camping
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote