Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #1

2008 Toyota Tundra Crew Max

We just bought this to pull our 3500lb surveyor. It's a 5.7L v8 and I have to say it drags horribly. I know there is stress pulling anything, but taking it on a 5 hour trip was interesting. Even in tow/haul mode it just lags and have taken it to my dealer to have it looked at and they say there is nothing wrong. It should tow that camper no problem.... just doesn't feel right.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Grape Escape

That should pull as if it wasn,t even there.What do you mean by drags?
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #3

Like the horsepower isn't there, it is very hard to get it up to speed. Almost like the campers brakes are on or something (even though they aren't).
Old 10-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #4

It definately doesn't sound right. I know you said that the trailer brakes are not on, did you disconnect them to try to ensure that they weren't? I don't know what else to suggest so I'm not to much help. We pull a 5800lb camper with the F150 SCrew with the 5.4 v8 and it seems to do alright. Obviously it takes more juice to go but it performs as I expected it to. Have you tried pulling it with another similar vehicle to see how it does to compare?
with 2 little ones and the Boss
Brock525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #5

Yes I tried to tow it without the brakes and it was the same. Not sure what it could be, maybe wind resistance... can't imagin it would be that much. I don't know anyone with a truck to try and tow it. I just bought the truck brand new. I have taken it in because when I step on the gas sometimes the truck sounds like it is neutral before it goes. Other times when I step on the gas it takes off like a rocket. All I have been told is it's and electrical type transmission and it takes time for the signal to get to the engine after stepping on the gas?... I am not a mechanic, but that sounds a little strange.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #6

Our last vehicle was an explorer and its the last time we will own one of those. It did the same thing, when in motion you hit the gas and it would take several seconds for it to down shift and go. From a stop it would obviously just go it did not need to down shift. But with our truck it shifts up and down as you would normally expect from a vehicle. I think maybe try another dealer to look at your truck. Someone thats maybe more willing to go in and really take a look at the computer and other important electrical componets that now run the vehicles. I just talked to a guy at work here who knows about vehicle and he said it sounds like somethings wrong. Maybe take it to a tranny shop and have them look, its usually free. Anyhow and a long winded way to say I would really pursue it. I would be persistant with the dealer to really investigate. Sorry if this is a little back and forth my mind wanders easily.
with 2 little ones and the Boss
Brock525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #7

It is frustrating since I have taken it to two different dealers in the past 2 months and they both say the same thing. I had an nissan xterra towing my 1500 lb pop up and that thing flew up and down the highway. Of course starting from a stopped position was tough, but once that thing got going forget it... it was an easy tow. Even towing that same pop up with the tundra to the dealer to trade it in for our new trailer the same thing was going on. It seemed my v6 xterra towed that a lot better then the v8 tundra. Very weird... I will look around my area to see if there is a place I can take it too.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aextremeskier View Post
Even towing that same pop up with the tundra to the dealer to trade it in for our new trailer the same thing was going on.
That Tundra shouldn't have had any problem at all with the PUP. While towing a full size TT is a whole different world than towing a small PUP, the Tundra should even handle the one you have with ease. The bigger RV is always going to make your Tundra run in a lower gear because that gas engine produces the best torque at higher rpm's.

I know a couple of people that have Tundra's and neither have complained about towing with them.

You could take it to a shop and have it put on a dyno to see if it's making the hp but something tells me that's not the problem.

Your SV 192T should weigh about 4500lbs loaded. It's 8' wide and 8'6" tall. That makes wind drag a big deal over a PUP, which has almost no wind drag.

Maybe you could run by the dealer with the RV hooked up and let the mechanic drive it and tell you if they think it's normal.

Sorry I couldn't be more help but good luck with it.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
ATV Junkie

The "stepping on the gas and hesitate" comment could be due to traction controll. I can't remember if they put that as an operator controlled option or if it's intergrated. Either way, that's one step.

Also, take a look at your specs on the truck. What gear ratio is it? That will make a huge difference. Try putting the truck in 1st or L gear and gouge on it - you'll need to manualy shift but you should break the tires loose. Try putting it in drive and testing the same way. Do you feel the same torque? (BTW when you step on the gas you're actually feeling Torque and not HP - they're 2 seperate things)

Tire size has ALOT to do with it. I'm suspecting they're factory or stock size since the truck is fairly new. However, if they're over sized - you're losing some performance there as well.

If all else fails, ask the dealer to pull another truck off of the lot (exactly like yours with the same options, gear ratio and motor) and test drive it with a technician in it. If your truck is doing as you say and not performing like it should then the test truck will tell on it.

Cheers.
Bulldog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
ATV Junkie

After some digging, this is what I found. I still don't see a differental spec. So I can't comment on your specific truck. However, they're claiming that the 5.7 married to the 6sp. trans. produces near 400 hp and 401 lb-ft tq.

If that's the case and they don't offer the traction controll option, that truck should boil stock tires when you shower down on it. If not, either the traction controll is on (which should still have enough ass to get things moving quickly) or your truck has issues.

Powertrains and Performance

Three engines see duty in the 2008 Toyota Tundra. Standard on the Tundra Regular Cab and standard-bed Double Cab is a 4.0-liter V6 rated for 236 horsepower and 266 pound-feet of torque.

Optional on these models and standard on all other Tundras is a 4.7-liter V8 with 271 hp and 313 lb-ft. Optional on all Tundras is the muscular 5.7-liter V8 that pumps out 381 hp and 401 lb-ft.

A five-speed automatic transmission comes with the base V6 and 4.7-liter V8, while the 5.7 V8 is paired with a six-speed automatic. With the big V8, the Tundra is seriously quick -- a Double Cab Limited 4WD we tested sprinted to 60 mph in just 6.3 seconds.

All versions of the Tundra can be equipped with two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive, and all trucks come with a limited-slip rear differential. Properly equipped, a 4x2 Tundra Regular Cab can tow up to 10,800 pounds.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #11

Yeah I have the 5.7 v8. It is fully loaded with traction control with the slip diff. I can turn all that off and usually do when towing. I turn the tow/haul switch on and all the slip off. There is that manual mode where I can shift, but I haven't used that at all. I never have drivin a standard car, but was going to read up on it to possibly try it when towing.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #12

If your having this issue and the dealer isn't helping, your best bet would be to have it dyno tested. Just like the other member posted earlier, the dyno isn't going to lie. If your having a problem the dyno is going to tell you. It would be money well spent. Get the results and go back to the dealer. Are you towing with OD on? Have you read your owners manual on towing? It will be helpful. The dyno is going to tell you if there something wrong with the truck or if your nuts! Either way, your not going to feel good about your expensive purchase until you know the answer.
Bill

Bduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
ATV Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bduece View Post
If your having this issue and the dealer isn't helping, your best bet would be to have it dyno tested. Just like the other member posted earlier, the dyno isn't going to lie. If your having a problem the dyno is going to tell you. It would be money well spent. Get the results and go back to the dealer. Are you towing with OD on? Have you read your owners manual on towing? It will be helpful. The dyno is going to tell you if there something wrong with the truck or if your nuts! Either way, your not going to feel good about your expensive purchase until you know the answer.
Bill
While I'll agree that a dyno will provide some basline numbers - it can't be compared to real world situations. For example, in a controlled enviroment, a vehicle will produce a controllable set of numbers and performance. However, that same vehicle, with 20mph head wind and 14k lbs on the hitch with 4 people on board and a full tank of fuel will provide a completely different set of numbers.

When I have customers with simular situations (performance issues) or intermitent problems I have a device that plugs right into the PCM and records every second of data. It's basically a mobile scanner.

I let the customer take their vehicle and drive it for a agreed upon number of days or until the customer can duplicate the problem more than one time. I can then download that data to my computer and examine it to determine what happen.

Dealerships have this technology as well. And in this case, I believe it would prove helpfull.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #14

For the money and serious towing you can't beat the grunt of a diesel. I had an F250 with V10 and it was working way to hard. I now own a 2008 duramax. night and day difference towing my 35ft 8000lbs Salem.
OILBURNER6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #15

Here's a couple pictures of my rig.Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas_and_truck_pics_003.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1256

Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas_and_truck_pics_007.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1257

Name:	trcuk6.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1258

Name:	truck3.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1259

Name:	truck7.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1260
OILBURNER6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #16

I have a 2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7 liter and pull a 21 FT. Rockwood Roo that it's base weight is 3600 lbs. When I'm loaded it weights about 5600 lbs, I have no problem pulling the trailer you do feel a little drag from the wind hitting the top of the trailer but it pulls like a champ. I think something is wrong. The other thing about the trans, like the dealer says it's called a smart transmission, every tundra owner out there has this same problem but its not a problem. Thats how the trans works in the tundras, its the most advanced trans out there these days. One thing I just thought of do you own a equillizer, sometimes having it to tight will make it feel like its draging.
STATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #17
ARLO

tv

We tow a 7000lb holiday rambler 29cks with our 2008 F150 5.4, 3.73, set up with tow package). A little sluggish on large hills but does an admirable job. I'm a firm believer in Ford as the tow vehicle of choice. I also seem to get a little better performance with a higher octane gas when towing.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #18

1st off.....if the tundra has the OEM towing package, you have 4:10 gears

i have a tundra with the 5.7. i just purchased a 25' travel trailer toy hauler last weekend. i bought it in minnesota, so i had 450 miles to pull it home. the specs on the trailer are 5290 pounds dry. with a few extra odds and ends in the camper, id put it at around 5400 pounds.

the 1st 350 miles were all on the interstate. it was mostly flat with very little wind. i put it in tow/haul, and put the shifter in S5, and set the cruise at 60 mph. it stayed in 5th gear about 3/4th of the time. any little hill id go up it would shift into 4th. for those 350 miles, i averaged 8.8 mpg. it pulled great, and the engine didnt seem to be over worked at all. you definitely knew something was behind you though. at any time i could hammer it to the floor and pick up speed fairly quick. the tundra had enough power and then some...

now to the last 100 miles of the trip. this part of the trip was taken the day after the 1st 350 miles i drove. this day was WINDY. i was buckin a 20-30 mph wind the whole trip. there are also alot more hills as i start getting to the western part of north dakota. with this crazy wind, i couldnt even run it in 5th gear. i had to put it in S4, and it still shifted down to 3rd quite often. every time id go up a hill, or a big gust of wind would hit me, it would shift down. i pulled at about 55-60 mph, and even though the conditions were unfavorable, i still have no trouble keeping my speed. i still felt i had more power than i needed. this trip yielded a whopping 5.7 mpg.......but i had no problem pulling the traveler down the road...

id also like to add i have 20'' rims with 33x12.5'' mickey thompson ATZ tires. this combo weighs about double that of the stock setup, and the tires are larger in diameter as well.

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
Bocephus - Have you corrected your computer for the larger tires? If not, it will throw your speedo off. The larger tires also reduce towing capacity because the weigh more. If you got a custom computer tune, you can get more HP and TRQ from you mods and correct for the larger tires.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #20

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
Oilburner6.6 - I can not wait till I can get a Fryer!

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tundra