Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #1

Talking 2009 Dodge 2500

I'm looking to buy a '09 Dodge 2500 Big Horn, Quad Cab, 2WD, Short Bed, 5.7L.

Anyone else have one?

Local dealer is offering triple rebate if you finance through them. Total rebate of $15K. The MSRP of the one I'm looking at is $38,005. That means a selling price of $23,005. Verified this at the dealership. Kind of hard to pass up.

I currently have a F-150 with a 5.4 V8. Where I live and travel there are no mountains and it does a good job, just need better suspension.

All replies and info about your experience towing with a similar truck will be appreciated.

Oh yeah, My tt is approx 7,500 loaded with a tounge weght of approx. 1,000 lbs (front kitchen model).

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #2

I would like to test drive one of those models myself! I haven't seen any around these parts as of yet. It sounds like an incredible deal!
My 2002 Chevy Avalanche 2500 pulls my Sierra 291 RL with ease.
Good Luck and keep us posted on the truck!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #3

That sounds great! I have almost the same truck, but an 06 1500 instead. The trailer I am pulling is a tad heavier than your stated weights, and I really have no gripes on the HEmi, but the suspension on my 1500 is soft feeling. I put bilstein shocks all around, and Hellwig helper springs, but a 2500 would surely be the ticket. Anouher thing is the rear end gear- be sure to get at least a 3:73 or a 3:92. The 2500 should come standard with a better rear diff. Also, the 2010 2500's have a 6 speed automatic that is designed for towing specifically. I'm not sure with the Hemi, however. Good Luck with your decision! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #4

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 2wd short bed 5.7L pulling the same trailer you have. I could not be more pleased with the overal package.

Fuel economy is the only downside, average 9 mpg towing.

I went from a 1/2 ton to this truck and it was a huge difference. The 2500 feel like it has control of the trailer.

The price you have been quoted is fantastic, go for it.

BTW my truck is 6 years old, now only 40000 miles on it. It went back to the dealer for the first time last month to have an O2 sensor replaced. That is the only problem I have had with the truck, no complaints here.

John U
Old 10-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #5

Well I'm back home with my same ole truck.

Looked the Dodge over and liked it. I could feel the difference in power. Then came the financing.

Two things soured the deal. They told me that they would give top dollar for my trade, then offered less than 66% of what other dealers had offered, which was only the average trade-in value. My truck is in excellent condition inside and out. All maitenance has been kept up according to Ford's schedule and I have all the receipts.
Another customer that I talked to told me his van's trade-in value was $5.5K and they offered him $1K.

Secondly they told me they would match my credit union's deal, then jumped the interest rate up 3.25 percentage points.

Also the added on "Docking Fee" was pretty steep, $500. I've paid some financing fees on new truck deals, but nothing near that.

These things added together put the payment quite a bit more than I was willing to pay.

I finally got tired of haggling over the numbers and I gave them my final offer and told them to call me if they change their minds. I'm not holding my breath.

It was a nice truck and wasn't a bad deal until they added all they other things in. Just not what I was willing to pay in the end.

There will be deals in the future and I'm in no hurry. Eventually I'll find the truck and the deal I want.

Again, I did feel the difference in power and thought overall it was a good truck.

Thanks for everyone's replies and help.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 10-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #6

I thought that price sounded a little too good to be quite true. I just bought an '08 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad cab 5.7L Hemi with 15K miles and paid $23,500 which I thought was a good price compared to what I had seen elsewhere.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #7

"If it sounds too good to be true - it probaby is".

Sad but true.

I've have a leased 2008 Dodge 1500 with the hemi pulling a Rockwood 8319ss and the load and size take my truck to the limit. It pulls the trailer OK, and I do get "ok" gas mileage (9-12 mpg depending on terrain and wind). Unloaded the truck is fun to drive, gas about 18-20 mpg. But we are so close the the CGVWR I think I'd be over if I took a full cup of coffee with me.

I'm looking at a Dodge 2500 4x4. Lease is up next July, so I'm following the truck conversations this winter. Dodge seems significanly lower priced than similar Ford 250. I've had good service from the Dodge dealer and Ford dealer (curious in our small town where there is only three dealers, the ford and dodge are owned by the same guy). The GM dealer has never given me the time of day when I've gone there kicking tires. So I've not given GM a serious look. No import dealers locally (within 200 miles) so Toy Auto's and others are not an option.

We are spoiled with our fully loaded Laramie though. So next time can we afford to buy (not lease) a Loaded Laramie with heated leather and moonroof, 2500 (or even 3500) 4x4 (a must in northern Canada), long box and then the biggie Gas or Diesel. If I put all of it together I think I can get three of four
A) New
B) Loaded - Leather
C) 4x4
D) Diesel

So I can get A-C-D, or B,C,D, but not A,B,C, & D. At least not without totally breaking the bank.

Shopping is so much fun. And when your kicking tires the sales people all love you, buy you coffee and treat you nice.

Then you sign on the dotted line . . .

:O
Old 10-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #8

Fort Kent Dad,

The performance of your Dodge 1500 sounds about what I'm experiencing with my F150. The terrrian where I live is flat except for a few hills but nothing major. I have adequate power, no complaints, and I get 9 - 10 mpgs.

My problem is the 8315ss is a front kitchen model with a heavy tounge weight. I've worked my equalizer hitch the best I can but it still squats a little more than I like. Just need stiffer suspension and I don't really care for after market add ons.

So at this time I don't feel like I have to buy, just keeping an eye out for a really good deal and will take advantage if one comes along.

To be honest the deal on the Dodge was pretty good. It's just they told me they would give me "Top Dollar" for my trade then went way under, about 35% less than what another dealer offered. So the trade-in value I had in mind wasn't one that I thought I should get, but one that I had been offered which was average trade-in according to NADA and Kelley's Blue Book.

We haggled a bit and I finally said OK to the final price which I still think wasn't too bad but alot higher than it should've been.

They also told me on three different occasions that they would match my credit union's deal, "Don't Worry, No Problem". Then they came back with an interest rate 3.25% higher. I haggled this with them for a while and they wouldn't budge so I gave them my final offer and told them to call me if they change their minds.

Now I probably could have done the deal and refinanced with my credit union but like I said I'm in no hurry and I'll find a good deal with a dealer who won't play games. It's just the way they did the deal. Tell me one thing and then tried to hurry a different figure by me.

Good luck in your search for a new truck. I hope you find the deal you want without any hassel.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 10-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Fort Kent Dad,

The performance of your Dodge 1500 sounds about what I'm experiencing with my F150. The terrrian where I live is flat except for a few hills but nothing major. I have adequate power, no complaints, and I get 9 - 10 mpgs.

My problem is the 8315ss is a front kitchen model with a heavy tounge weight. I've worked my equalizer hitch the best I can but it still squats a little more than I like. Just need stiffer suspension and I don't really care for after market add ons.

So at this time I don't feel like I have to buy, just keeping an eye out for a really good deal and will take advantage if one comes along.

To be honest the deal on the Dodge was pretty good. It's just they told me they would give me "Top Dollar" for my trade then went way under, about 35% less than what another dealer offered. So the trade-in value I had in mind wasn't one that I thought I should get, but one that I had been offered which was average trade-in according to NADA and Kelley's Blue Book.

We haggled a bit and I finally said OK to the final price which I still think wasn't too bad but alot higher than it should've been.

They also told me on three different occasions that they would match my credit union's deal, "Don't Worry, No Problem". Then they came back with an interest rate 3.25% higher. I haggled this with them for a while and they wouldn't budge so I gave them my final offer and told them to call me if they change their minds.

Now I probably could have done the deal and refinanced with my credit union but like I said I'm in no hurry and I'll find a good deal with a dealer who won't play games. It's just the way they did the deal. Tell me one thing and then tried to hurry a different figure by me.

Good luck in your search for a new truck. I hope you find the deal you want without any hassel.
I know what you mean about the tonge weight. We have a Cherokee 30F which is also a front kitchen model and even with a 3/4 ton truck it is hard to keep the rear from going down. I can't imagine what it is doing to that 1/2 ton's rear suspension.
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #10

rafcar,

The suspension is why I'm looking for another truck. I know it's recomended that your truck drops equally and no more than 2" at the rear axel. Mine drops about 2ľ" at the rear but only about 1" up front.

I've measured the ball and the trailer ball receiver and have the right measurements according to my mannual. I have added all the washers that I can in my hitch and I have moved the L bracketts up one hole. The trailer sets level. Just too much tongue weight for a Ĺ ton.

As you stated I can't imagine what it's doing to my suspension either. I may not have a problem now or in the near futture, but I know it will catch up eventually.

Like I stated in my earlier post, I live where it's mostly flat. I can kick the overdrive off, set the cruise somewhere between 60 & 65 and head down the interstate no problem. The equilizer hitch keeps the trailer in line, even when semi's pass. Last trip I towed 95 miles one way and got 10 mpg.

I've only ran across a couple of hills that causes the truck to drop a gear. Maybe 5 mph or less drop in speed on a couple of others. Luckily I usually camp at a State Park about 20 miles from my house with no hills to to speak of in between.

Anyway good luck and happy camping.

Thanks, everyone, for all the replies and support.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4

Tags