Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #1

Talking 2009 Dodge 2500

I'm looking to buy a '09 Dodge 2500 Big Horn, Quad Cab, 2WD, Short Bed, 5.7L.

Anyone else have one?

Local dealer is offering triple rebate if you finance through them. Total rebate of $15K. The MSRP of the one I'm looking at is $38,005. That means a selling price of $23,005. Verified this at the dealership. Kind of hard to pass up.

I currently have a F-150 with a 5.4 V8. Where I live and travel there are no mountains and it does a good job, just need better suspension.

All replies and info about your experience towing with a similar truck will be appreciated.

Oh yeah, My tt is approx 7,500 loaded with a tounge weght of approx. 1,000 lbs (front kitchen model).
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #2

I would like to test drive one of those models myself! I haven't seen any around these parts as of yet. It sounds like an incredible deal!
My 2002 Chevy Avalanche 2500 pulls my Sierra 291 RL with ease.
Good Luck and keep us posted on the truck!
bdbopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #3

That sounds great! I have almost the same truck, but an 06 1500 instead. The trailer I am pulling is a tad heavier than your stated weights, and I really have no gripes on the HEmi, but the suspension on my 1500 is soft feeling. I put bilstein shocks all around, and Hellwig helper springs, but a 2500 would surely be the ticket. Anouher thing is the rear end gear- be sure to get at least a 3:73 or a 3:92. The 2500 should come standard with a better rear diff. Also, the 2010 2500's have a 6 speed automatic that is designed for towing specifically. I'm not sure with the Hemi, however. Good Luck with your decision! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #4

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 2wd short bed 5.7L pulling the same trailer you have. I could not be more pleased with the overal package.

Fuel economy is the only downside, average 9 mpg towing.

I went from a 1/2 ton to this truck and it was a huge difference. The 2500 feel like it has control of the trailer.

The price you have been quoted is fantastic, go for it.

BTW my truck is 6 years old, now only 40000 miles on it. It went back to the dealer for the first time last month to have an O2 sensor replaced. That is the only problem I have had with the truck, no complaints here.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #5

Well I'm back home with my same ole truck.

Looked the Dodge over and liked it. I could feel the difference in power. Then came the financing.

Two things soured the deal. They told me that they would give top dollar for my trade, then offered less than 66% of what other dealers had offered, which was only the average trade-in value. My truck is in excellent condition inside and out. All maitenance has been kept up according to Ford's schedule and I have all the receipts.
Another customer that I talked to told me his van's trade-in value was $5.5K and they offered him $1K.

Secondly they told me they would match my credit union's deal, then jumped the interest rate up 3.25 percentage points.

Also the added on "Docking Fee" was pretty steep, $500. I've paid some financing fees on new truck deals, but nothing near that.

These things added together put the payment quite a bit more than I was willing to pay.

I finally got tired of haggling over the numbers and I gave them my final offer and told them to call me if they change their minds. I'm not holding my breath.

It was a nice truck and wasn't a bad deal until they added all they other things in. Just not what I was willing to pay in the end.

There will be deals in the future and I'm in no hurry. Eventually I'll find the truck and the deal I want.

Again, I did feel the difference in power and thought overall it was a good truck.

Thanks for everyone's replies and help.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #6

I thought that price sounded a little too good to be quite true. I just bought an '08 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad cab 5.7L Hemi with 15K miles and paid $23,500 which I thought was a good price compared to what I had seen elsewhere.
WoodLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #7

"If it sounds too good to be true - it probaby is".

Sad but true.

I've have a leased 2008 Dodge 1500 with the hemi pulling a Rockwood 8319ss and the load and size take my truck to the limit. It pulls the trailer OK, and I do get "ok" gas mileage (9-12 mpg depending on terrain and wind). Unloaded the truck is fun to drive, gas about 18-20 mpg. But we are so close the the CGVWR I think I'd be over if I took a full cup of coffee with me.

I'm looking at a Dodge 2500 4x4. Lease is up next July, so I'm following the truck conversations this winter. Dodge seems significanly lower priced than similar Ford 250. I've had good service from the Dodge dealer and Ford dealer (curious in our small town where there is only three dealers, the ford and dodge are owned by the same guy). The GM dealer has never given me the time of day when I've gone there kicking tires. So I've not given GM a serious look. No import dealers locally (within 200 miles) so Toy Auto's and others are not an option.

We are spoiled with our fully loaded Laramie though. So next time can we afford to buy (not lease) a Loaded Laramie with heated leather and moonroof, 2500 (or even 3500) 4x4 (a must in northern Canada), long box and then the biggie Gas or Diesel. If I put all of it together I think I can get three of four
A) New
B) Loaded - Leather
C) 4x4
D) Diesel

So I can get A-C-D, or B,C,D, but not A,B,C, & D. At least not without totally breaking the bank.

Shopping is so much fun. And when your kicking tires the sales people all love you, buy you coffee and treat you nice.

Then you sign on the dotted line . . .

:O
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #8

Fort Kent Dad,

The performance of your Dodge 1500 sounds about what I'm experiencing with my F150. The terrrian where I live is flat except for a few hills but nothing major. I have adequate power, no complaints, and I get 9 - 10 mpgs.

My problem is the 8315ss is a front kitchen model with a heavy tounge weight. I've worked my equalizer hitch the best I can but it still squats a little more than I like. Just need stiffer suspension and I don't really care for after market add ons.

So at this time I don't feel like I have to buy, just keeping an eye out for a really good deal and will take advantage if one comes along.

To be honest the deal on the Dodge was pretty good. It's just they told me they would give me "Top Dollar" for my trade then went way under, about 35% less than what another dealer offered. So the trade-in value I had in mind wasn't one that I thought I should get, but one that I had been offered which was average trade-in according to NADA and Kelley's Blue Book.

We haggled a bit and I finally said OK to the final price which I still think wasn't too bad but alot higher than it should've been.

They also told me on three different occasions that they would match my credit union's deal, "Don't Worry, No Problem". Then they came back with an interest rate 3.25% higher. I haggled this with them for a while and they wouldn't budge so I gave them my final offer and told them to call me if they change their minds.

Now I probably could have done the deal and refinanced with my credit union but like I said I'm in no hurry and I'll find a good deal with a dealer who won't play games. It's just the way they did the deal. Tell me one thing and then tried to hurry a different figure by me.

Good luck in your search for a new truck. I hope you find the deal you want without any hassel.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Fort Kent Dad,

The performance of your Dodge 1500 sounds about what I'm experiencing with my F150. The terrrian where I live is flat except for a few hills but nothing major. I have adequate power, no complaints, and I get 9 - 10 mpgs.

My problem is the 8315ss is a front kitchen model with a heavy tounge weight. I've worked my equalizer hitch the best I can but it still squats a little more than I like. Just need stiffer suspension and I don't really care for after market add ons.

So at this time I don't feel like I have to buy, just keeping an eye out for a really good deal and will take advantage if one comes along.

To be honest the deal on the Dodge was pretty good. It's just they told me they would give me "Top Dollar" for my trade then went way under, about 35% less than what another dealer offered. So the trade-in value I had in mind wasn't one that I thought I should get, but one that I had been offered which was average trade-in according to NADA and Kelley's Blue Book.

We haggled a bit and I finally said OK to the final price which I still think wasn't too bad but alot higher than it should've been.

They also told me on three different occasions that they would match my credit union's deal, "Don't Worry, No Problem". Then they came back with an interest rate 3.25% higher. I haggled this with them for a while and they wouldn't budge so I gave them my final offer and told them to call me if they change their minds.

Now I probably could have done the deal and refinanced with my credit union but like I said I'm in no hurry and I'll find a good deal with a dealer who won't play games. It's just the way they did the deal. Tell me one thing and then tried to hurry a different figure by me.

Good luck in your search for a new truck. I hope you find the deal you want without any hassel.
I know what you mean about the tonge weight. We have a Cherokee 30F which is also a front kitchen model and even with a 3/4 ton truck it is hard to keep the rear from going down. I can't imagine what it is doing to that 1/2 ton's rear suspension.
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #10

rafcar,

The suspension is why I'm looking for another truck. I know it's recomended that your truck drops equally and no more than 2" at the rear axel. Mine drops about 2¼" at the rear but only about 1" up front.

I've measured the ball and the trailer ball receiver and have the right measurements according to my mannual. I have added all the washers that I can in my hitch and I have moved the L bracketts up one hole. The trailer sets level. Just too much tongue weight for a ½ ton.

As you stated I can't imagine what it's doing to my suspension either. I may not have a problem now or in the near futture, but I know it will catch up eventually.

Like I stated in my earlier post, I live where it's mostly flat. I can kick the overdrive off, set the cruise somewhere between 60 & 65 and head down the interstate no problem. The equilizer hitch keeps the trailer in line, even when semi's pass. Last trip I towed 95 miles one way and got 10 mpg.

I've only ran across a couple of hills that causes the truck to drop a gear. Maybe 5 mph or less drop in speed on a couple of others. Luckily I usually camp at a State Park about 20 miles from my house with no hills to to speak of in between.

Anyway good luck and happy camping.

Thanks, everyone, for all the replies and support.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #11

Here's the latest update.

The dealership called me this afternoon and said they would accept my offer and let me finance through my bank. MSRP - $38,005. Selling Price - $25,805. (final price without trade-in)

The truck is a new 2009 Ram 2500 Big Horn SLT. (Quad Cab), 5.7L Hemi, 3:73 rear end, 6.3' box.

I told them I would think about it and call them back in a few hours. Couldn't let 'em let off the hook too easy. The dealership is a little over 100 miles from where I live so I probably won't get the truck for another day or two.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 Dodge.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1860  
Old 10-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #12

Post Weighing in othe the Great Weight Question

There are so many posts about the need to keep on top of your weights, GVW, CGVW, weight per axle (which I hear is what the DOT worries about), and tongue weight etc.

One point my dealer (and others) have made is that when sitting on level pavement, the trailer and truck should be level. The hitch should not press down so much that it creates a bit of a "V" with the front of the truck, and rear of the trailer higher than the mid point (hitch point). My truck sits nice and level.

Too much payload + tongue weight on the rear axles can reduce the weight on your front axle, which is bad because it reduces control when steering.

I've driven onto one of those self serve scales we have here and there in Alberta. Measured each axle separately (well the trailer axles were weighed as one). I had 1600 kilos (3595 lbs)on the trucks rear axle, 1540 K 3395# on the front axle and 2920K (6427#) on the trailer axles. So 13417 pounds CGVW (combined Gross Vehicle Wieght). The truck alone was 5786, so our loaded trailer was 7631 pounds.

My Dodge axles are each rated to a max of 3900, so we are within the DOT specs for axle wieghts. Trailer axles are 5211 (each) the weight on those axles was 6427 total, so well within scope.

The GVWR for this trailer is 8079 so we are close the the max weight we can put in the trailer with just 448 from the max. We were on our way out, so the trailer was dry, but propane full & all supplies, including a full fridge & pantry, gas tank full. We would rarely drive with full water tanks. This is for the two of us with our three little dogs. We were in the truck when it was wieghed.

The 09 RAM specs from Dodge.com Towing shows:
Towing: 5000lbs - std 8750 lbs max
Payload:1610 lbs - max

At another site I found the following for an 06 Dodge RAM (no data past 06?)

With 3.92 Axle Ratio Axle Ratio [i] You Can Tow 8350 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) [i] = 6700 lbs (we were 5786)
Payload [i] = 1214 lbs
Curb Weight [i] = 5486 lbs
Curb Weight Front/Rear = 3198 lbs/3198 lbs
GAWR Front/Rear [i] = 3900 lbs/3900 lbs (we were under on both)
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) [i] = 14000 lbs (Gosh over 500# to spare!)

As for upgrading to a 2500:

09 2500 RAM Specs show
Towing:11700 lbs - max
Payload:3650 lbs - max

From the other website (which stops at 2006)

A 2500 RAM, 4x4, QC, Long box, hemi gas engine.
With 3.73 Axle Ratio Axle Ratio [i] You Can Tow 8600 lbs ( ? ? ? )
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) [i] = 8800 lbs
Payload [i] = 2543 lbs
Curb Weight [i] = 6257 lbs
Curb Weight Front/Rear = 3608 lbs/3608 lbs
GAWR Front/Rear [i] = 5200 lbs/6010 lbs
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) [i] = 15000 lbs

This is better, but not as by as much as I thought. But I guess, going from a half ton (1000 pds) to a three quarter ton (1500 pds) is only an increase of 500 pounds of payload.

The site I used was
http://www-5.dodge.com/towing5/D/vehicle_to_weight.jsp

Another site of interest is:
http://www.dodge.com/en/business/vehicles/ram_2500/

But the chatter I pick up on the forums is that those who have upgraded to a 250/2500 are happy with the improved power. Those who have gone diesel will not look back (still pondering that upgrade).

Ah, aren't you glad you paid attention in math class now?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #13

Congradulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Here's the latest update.

The dealership called me this afternoon and said they would accept my offer and let me finance through my bank. MSRP - $38,005. Selling Price - $25,805. (final price without trade-in).....

Congrats - and great deal. Good looking truck.

Had not seen your post before I weighed in with all the weights and measures. I can only hope to get as sweet a deal next July when my lease is up on my 1500.

I'll want the 8 foot box though, need a little more room in the back for our 'bent tricycles.

That's part of why we go RVing, to find new places to cycle:
Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #14

Fort Kent Dad,

Like your cycles. Thanks for the weight info. My current truck has a payload of 1,350 lbs and 8,000 lbs max tow rating so I'm pretty close to being maxed out. My tt tongue weight is 850 lbs. dry So by the time I load the trailer and put things in my truck I'm pretty sure I'm maxed out if not over.

My brother seems to think I'm OK with my current truck since I don't usually tow very far. All I know is that I can't keep the rear from dropping approx. 2¼" or more, but my front drops less than 1" so I don't get that "floating" effect with my steering. My concern is the wear and tear on my rear suspension over time.

I maybe over reacting, but I would rather be safe than sorry and have the peace of mind that the truck can handle whatever I'm towing and that I'm not only keeping myself and family safe but others on the road as well. To me it doesn't make a difference if I'm towing 20 miles or 200 miles.

Maybe you can answer a question I have. I know that Ford recomends that you put at least 500 miles on one before towing. I assume Dodge has something similar. Do you know what that would be?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #15
Site Team

Dodge recommends the same for the 5.7L and then another 500 towing not over 50mph. At least on the 1500 with the 5.7 that I owned that was what the owners manual stated.

Great vehicle by the way. The only thing you're gonna hate about that truck is that gas sucking HEMI when you're towing. I averaged about 8 to 9 mpg.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #16

Yeah I think it's a great truck with a price that's hard to beat, except for one thing.

I called the dealership to let them know I would be coming in today. Ran over the final price and guess what? The salesman told me the manager said they had to add a $209 doc fee. We had already agreed to $198 and had put that in the price.

This was the third time we had a final price then when it came time to sign papers they started adding new things. It's still a great deal, but my foolish pride just won't let me do the deal.

These guys told me they would give top dollar for my trade then offered $2,800 less than average trade-in which was what another dealer had offered me. I could only budge them half way. They told me they would match my credit union deal (three times) then tried to talk me into 3.25% increase in the finance rate. I had to figure that out when I got home because they would only tell me the monthly payment even though I asked several times what the finance rate was.

I then told them my final offer and left. They called back and said they would do the deal and I could use my credit union. Then when we went over the figures and it was $300 over what I offered.

I finally agreed and when I called today...$209 more for doc fees! BULL$%!#.

It's probably cost me a good deal on a good truck, but I just can't turn my hard earned money over to people who do business that way, so I told them I won't be coming in. There's no telling what the price would be when I showed up to sign papers.

I'm sorry to have wasted everyone's time on this post. Thanks for all your support and advice. It really helped.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I certainly don't think you wasted anyone's time on this thread. It should make us all aware of stuff that dealers try to pull just to get a couple of extra bucks out of us. If they advertise a certain deal, then they need to live up to their end of the bargain.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #18
Enjoying Member

I totally agree! You wated no ones time with this posting.

I can tell you I am the worst to deal with on that side of the desk. I used to sell vehicles so when I am on the buyers side I am terrible to deal with and don't cut the dealer any slack.

Stick by your heart and you'll never go wrong.

Nights Camped: 2013-15 2012-28 2011-16 2010-10 2009-30
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD w/trailer pkg 345HP 5.7 Hemi/5spd Auto/3.92 Rear
2008 Wildwood 23FLSRV - Prodigy Brake Controller - BlueOx WD Hitch
2011 Harley Electra-Glide Ultra Limited (His Bike) - 2005 V-Star 650 Classic (Her Bike)
ScottnKimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 PM   #19

mtnguy & ScottnKimmer,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I really feel like I walked away from a good deal, but you probably understand how hard it is to descibe in these posts how some of these deals go. How they talk to you. The tone of thier voice. Answering questions with questions or just plain not answering at all. Being passed from one guy to the next. I dealt with four people at the dealership and three more over the phone.

When I complained about them not giving me enough on my trade the sales manager responded with "My God, look how much we're taking off ours!" When he told me that I said it was your decision to discount you trucks, I shouldn't feel obligated to do the same. He agreed but then kept up his argument.

Another time he said "Well you know we all like to think our cars are worth more than they really are". As stated in my earlier post I was going by average trade-in which happened to be what another dealer offered.

At one point they offered to deliver the truck to me. I live a little over 100 miles from the dealership. I said no I'll come up but throw one of those rubber mats in the bed for me. They said they had too much in the deal and had done all they could , so they couldn't afford to put any more money in the deal. I then asked, "You mean have a guy drive over two hundred miles round trip, pay for the gas and his wages for the 4 to 5 hour trip, but you can't afford to throw a rubber mat in the bed?" No answer.

You get the picture, just had enough of it.

Good deal on a good truck or at least seemed that way. At this point I'm not sure what the deal was. I really liked the truck, just dealing with the sales staff took all the enjoyment out of it and ended up with no trust in the deal or the dealership.

Thanks again, guys.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #20

The dealer-customer relationship is important. If you can't trust them with this part of the purchase, how about with repairs etc. If you are not comfortable move on. There is always another deal to be had. Besides with winter coming on you have lots of time to deal before you'll be towing again.

Tags