Old 04-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #11

Again, I appreciate all the help. The 369lbs hitch weight Forest River gives me is "dry" weight so I'll need to include 72lbs for 2 full propane cylinders and whatever one battery weighs, maybe 50lbs? I also might upgrade to 2 batteries later for longer boondocking which will be another 50lbs. I'm not quite sure where the fresh water tank is located on that 2109S model but if it's up front and it has a 30 gallon capacity, that's another 240lbs that will get towed at some point to a boondock location. That's not including anything I add to the front storage compartment.
So adding
Dry hitch weight: 369
2 Propane tanks: 72
Factory Battery: 50
2nd Poss Battery: 50
30 Gal. Fresh Water: 240

I know that isn't ALL on the hitch but I can see it getting up around 700lbs like thebrakeman said in an earlier post.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
Again, I appreciate all the help. The 369lbs hitch weight Forest River gives me is "dry" weight so I'll need to include 72lbs for 2 full propane cylinders and whatever one battery weighs, maybe 50lbs? I also might upgrade to 2 batteries later for longer boondocking which will be another 50lbs. I'm not quite sure where the fresh water tank is located on that 2109S model but if it's up front and it has a 30 gallon capacity, that's another 240lbs that will get towed at some point to a boondock location. That's not including anything I add to the front storage compartment.
So adding
Dry hitch weight: 369
2 Propane tanks: 72
Factory Battery: 50
2nd Poss Battery: 50
30 Gal. Fresh Water: 240

I know that isn't ALL on the hitch but I can see it getting up around 700lbs like thebrakeman said in an earlier post.
All of that weight does not go directly to the tongue weight. If you put it all directly over the top of the coupler, then yes it would. But the further back you go, less and less weight is added to the tongue, and more weight is added to the axles. 2 propane tanks plus 2 batteries might equal 172 lbs, but not all of that is going to be tongue weight....although most of it will. Some of that weight will be added to the axles....if that makes sense.

My grey tank is directly in front of my axles, and the black tank in front of that. 30 gals of gray water adds 40 lbs. to the trailer tongue, and 30 gals in the black tank adds 80 lbs. to my trailer tongue. My water tank is over my back axle....when I add 30 gallons of water to that, I actually loose 20 lbs. of tongue weight.

Adding a 56 lb battery to my trailer tongue just adds 45 lbs to the tongue weight......the other 11 lbs. is picked up by the axles.

The tongue weight on my trailer "grew" about 150 lbs. (ready to camp) from the listed brochure weight. That is with a single battery, and 2 full 30 lb. propane tanks, and the front pass thru loaded for camping.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #13

Good to know mtnguy! Much appreciated. I just talked to Progress Mfg and they said I'd have no problem with the 600/6000 Equal-i-zer hitch and if I wanted to go with the E2 that he'd recommend the 1000/10000 hitch. He said with as light as this camper is I could easily get away with the E2 hitch.