Old 03-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Grape Escape
That sway control is inadequate for your length of trailer. Only good up to perhaps 22'.
Only ones that are worth buying are Reese/ Drawtight dual cam or Equal-iz-er.
If money is no object you can look at Hensley.

2008 Cardinal 30RKLE 5th wheel sold
2006 Rockwood 2607, 2001 Traillite
55 nights 2009, 53 for 2010
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
I have to disagree i have that exact set up and it does take care of the sway much better than without one

2008 8296SS Rockwood Signature Ultralite
2002 Silverado 2500HD extended cab
chevy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
As far as sway control goes, long trailers should have them. With that said friction sway controls only tend to reduce sway after it begins. Reese dual cam sway system helps preventing sway from the start.
michael t cayouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
Get some Roadmaster Active Suspension. They also help. Not to replace the sway control obviously but it will help the back end of the truck. Check out the website . Bought mine for $375 canadian.

baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #15
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
With that type of sway control, DISCONNECT BEFORE BACKING !!! If not, there is a good chance you will bend it, and have to tow home without. That would make two a good choice, because you'll only bend one, depends on the direction you're backing. Never used one, but seen several bent ones.
Funny, I heard of several "bent" sway control brakes. I have had 2 (sometimes) hooked up to my trailer and backed up every way I possibly could and haven't had a problem. I believe that this may be an installation problem causing the bending.

Sway can happen for two reasons. Too light on the tongue and a lot of cross winds. A trailer that is set up properly with the right amount of tongue weight will only benefit from the addition of sway control. If you read the fine print friction sway control (the one in the picture) is NOT designed for use in slippery conditions such as rain, snow and obviously ice. Speed is also a factor. As many members point out; tires are only rated to 65 mph. I still hear about lots of people cruising at 70 - 75 mph.

I can ( and do ) tow my trailer with NO sway control whatsoever in the rain. I have a trailer that is 25' from tongue to bumper. Packing the trailer is of utmost importance. I aim for mostly everything over the trailer wheels or forward of that.

On a nice sunny windy day the best thing to do is slow down and tighten the sway control all the way - as directed by the manufacturer. My family witnessed a flipped trailer on the 401 last year returning from our 5000 km trip. It was scary, everyone was o.k. though. It was extremely windy that day!

Types of trailer suspension that lead to a higher center of gravity can also affect the trailer stability dynamics, but that is another story...
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
You may get by, you may be lucky, you may have a bigger truck. This thread started with a Tacoma Crew Cab as the tow vehicle. I wouldn't dare tow my 18 foot 7000 pound toy hauler without sway control with my F150 Super Crew. Hook it to my in-law's F350 Dually diesel, and I wouldn't need or want sway control. It's not so much about the trailer as it is about the tow vehicle.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
I have a 2008 2701ss...and when I got it, I towed with a 2005 Trailblazer....I had a sway bar to start off with, and then moved up to a Reese Dual Cam, which made a huge difference....but the sway was still I upgraded my TV to a 2006 Suburban...the tacoma is longer than my suburban, by 10", and the tow cap is the same...I think with the right sway control, and not driving like Ricky Bobby, you should be 2 cents
DW, 2 Teen's, 2 Dogs
2006 Chevy Suburban
3.42 Gears
Prodigy Brake Control
Reese 800lb Weight Dist Bars
Dual Cam Sway Control
2008 Rockwood 2701ss
Mansfield, MA
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #18
HP and Wt

I have towed with a Dodge Dakota with a 3.7 litre V6, Ford Explorer with a V6(rolled that one with the TT attached) Chevy Tahoe with A 5.7 Liter and now have a Chevy Silverado 1500HD. WT and horse power mean safetey. If you are struggling just to move a rig what do you do when you know what hits the fan.

Fireman2 is offline   Reply With Quote