Old 03-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #1

2010 Rockwood 2701SS safe?

Hi To all,

This is my new 2010 Ultralite Rockwood 2701SS. Picked it up in Albany, NY from New Brunswick, Canada during a wind and rain storm last October). Got it with my 2006 DC LWB Tacoma (141 inch wheel base). It has the towing package (6500lbs). Dry weight of TT is 5000lbs. Plan on doing very short trips (less than 50 miles each way) during the Summer months and no water in it so should keep it under 5700lbs. Pulled great but you know it's there. Hopefully, everything will go good this Summer. BTW, for this Summer, just flat grounds as well, no hillsI have the predogy Brake controller, torsion control and sway bars. I will just take it slowly. It's not a marathon!! Next year I plan on parking it for the Summer. If I'm careful, is this thing safe? As I said, I hauled it for 16 hours from New York, No problems and actually drives pretty good with NO sway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	2315  

Old 03-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, it looks good hooked up. Get one thing straight, they are torsion bars, and provide no SWAY control, unless it is a Reese Dual Cam or an Equalizer with sway control. The bars do nothing but transfer some weight back to the the trailer and front axle of the truck. Weight wise, you sound close, but you know it, so drive accordingly.
One test I like to perform, find a long parking lot, accelerate to 20 mph, and then stop quickly, measuring your distance. Now unplug the trailer and repeat, and notice the difference. Also notice how much more brake pedal pressure is needed. This is good practice for everyone that tows a trailer of any size that has brakes. Kind of prepares you for what may happen one day. As an airplane pilot, we practice emergencies, so they are not an emergency if/when they happen, just a different routine to follow that has been practiced before. Good luck, and be safe.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #3

Thanks for the comment. That parking lot thing is a very good idea and will try it before I put dishes in it. Don't think my wife would appreciate it...LOL. For the sway control, I have torsion bars as well as sway bars(Both). Thanks again
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Windrider on your WDH. In looking at your photo, the WDH that you are using does not provide any sway control. You might have a friction sway contol that is out of sight, but that is a pretty long trailer for a friction control sway control system. Your crew cab Taco with the 141" wheelbase is the best setup for that model, but still a little short according to a popular chart.

BTW......great looking truck and trailer.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormier View Post
Thanks for the comment. That parking lot thing is a very good idea and will try it before I put dishes in it. Don't think my wife would appreciate it...LOL. For the sway control, I have torsion bars as well as sway bars(Both). Thanks again
Cormier, you posted while I was composing my last post, so I have a question. What are you calling sway bars?? Can you post a picture??

Old 03-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #6

Thanks mntguy. Yes, it is out of sight. I have one sway control bar but I might get a second one just in Case! Thanks

Cormier
Old 03-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #7

Something like this. It's a friction control with a Pad. Is this OK? Would you put a second one just to be safer?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

OK, that is what I thought you might be referring to. I have not used that type of sway control, so I will let others chime in here. With that long of a trailer, 2 might be called for.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

With that type of sway control, DISCONNECT BEFORE BACKING !!! If not, there is a good chance you will bend it, and have to tow home without. That would make two a good choice, because you'll only bend one, depends on the direction you're backing. Never used one, but seen several bent ones.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #10

Cormier,

Thanks for posting this. I have been trying to impress upon the masses that mid sized trucks can be competent tow vehicles. Stories such as this solidify the capabilities of mid size TV's. I was driving to work last night trying to reason the use of mid size trucks and smaller TT's. I compare my Colorado to my parents Suburban. I get about 10.5 l/100km normal everyday driving. The Suburban is about 17 l/100km. a difference of 6.5 l/100km. Over 150,000 kms that would be 9750 liters of fuel and at let say $1/liter thats $10,000 extra in fuel and the excess harm to the environment etc. ( I do what I can). So I compromise size and speed for our future. (I feel the flaming already LOL) Anyway I think you are on the right track. It's not a race and the Taco looks to carry the weight admirably.

Thanks again and safe journeys

Baldy

Tags
2701ss