Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
rlh

2010 Wildcat 27BH & 20 ft Boat that sways over 60 mph

I am new to this forum so bare with me. When we purchased our 2010 Wildcat 27BH 5th Wheel we checked with the Mgf and dealer about towing our 2025 Lund with a 225hp Motor and the trailer has surge brakes. They approved and the camper came with a receiver hitch on it. Here is my concern when we get above 55 mph the boat will start to sway behind the 5th wheel to the point you can feel it and see it. (do not like it) Below 55 mph it only does it once it awhile. I have tried different hitches to lower and raise the ball to try and change the point of contact. I have added a sway bar (little improvement). I have added air bags to the pick up so I could adjust to keep the pickup level. The pick up is a 2004 Dodge 2500 diesel crew cab (short box). Yes I am aware of all the towing lengths. I am just looking to see if anyone had any other suggestions to eliminate the swaying. Does anyone else pull a boat or trailer behind this model of camper? Thanks in Advance
rlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Site Team

with that combo, why would you want to go over 60mph?
the trailer tires are only rated to 65mph.

also, from what i read from the Wildcat rep, the factory hitch is only rated to 300lbs. tongue weight and 3000lbs. towing weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Always Learning

What is your ratio of tongue weight on the boat to total weight? Are you tongue light at all? I don't know how how boat trailers can manage it - but are you able to push any weight forward?

I agree with Dan - I wouldn't go much more than 60mph with that setup (heck, I try to go no more than 65mph with just my fifth wheel).

Could you be getting sway caused by the bounce of the fifth wheel? How are you within your ratings with the fifth wheel and truck's ratings (all ratings, not just tire and axle weight ratings)?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
rlh

Thanks for responses

I am really not interested going faster than 60 mph but really interested in the sway. I probably was not to clear about my situation, I sway even at 50 just not has bad or as often. The boat weight is 3000 lbs - I will check the tongue weight on the boat trailer. I also will check the hitch weight of the 5th wheel. I have friends that fish the Tournament Circuit that pull boats behind their 5th wheels and do not have a problem. I did notice that the axles on their 5th wheels are closer to the back of the rig than mine. I also might try not hauling with a tank of fresh water as it is in the back of the rig also.
rlh is offline   Reply With Quote