Old 08-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #1

2011 Dodge Ram 2500

Hi -

We've been towing a travel trailer (~ 7,000 lbs fully loaded) with our 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 for the past 2-3 years. We're looking at upgrading to a fifth wheel but not quite sure what yet. I was hoping to see what others are using this truck for.

Our truck is a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Short Bed Bighorn with the Cummins Diesel and 3.73 axle ratio. The towing capacity is listed as 12,600 lbs. I'm curious who else might have this type of truck and if you could answer any of the following questions: 1) What type of fifth wheel are you towing, 2) how long is it and how much does it weight 3) does it have any problems towing this fifth wheel 4) do you use a regular fifth wheel hitch or slider hitch 5) have you done any mods to your RAM truck?

Personally, this has been a great truck for us. We haven't had any problems with it and it's taken us everywhere we wanted to go. I appreciate the input. Thanks in advance!!

Old 08-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #2

I have a F250, but your truck is comparable and the mods required would be the same.

1) What type of fifth wheel are you towing? 37' fifth wheel
2) how long is it and how much does it weigh? 11,000 dry weight and 2,000 pin weight dry
3) does it have any problems towing this fifth wheel None It's max'd out on pin weight, however.
4) do you use a regular fifth wheel hitch or slider hitch With the new style front cap on the trailer, I'm using a non-slide B&W Patriot hitch.
5) have you done any mods to your truck? TruCool auxiliary transmission cooler, 60 hp tow mode chip, Air Ride 5000 air suspension. Adding air intake, larger exhaust and set of gauges.

That's about as good as you can do with 3/4 ton truck. If you think you'll every want one of the 3000-3500 pound pin weight/14K-15K fifth wheels, a 1 ton dually will be required.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #3

Thanks, this is similar to what I was thinking for length and weights. Not sure we want to go any bigger than this.

I've also looked at some products from Hellwig Pro Series and Load Pro Series for load control.

Tags
2011, 2500, 500, diesel, dodge, ram, towing capacity