Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #1

2011 Georgetown Tow Rating

I'm considering buying a 2011 Georgetown 350 but am wondering about the 5000 lb tow limit. I have a 2011 GMC Yukon XL that is 5800 lbs and was wondering if you can get a 10000 lb hitch installed and if so, would the RV handle towing the Yukon?

I have read through a bunch of posts, but could not find one to satisfy my question.

Thanks!
Don
snybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #2

Tow rating depends on the F53 chassis model. Different length F53 chassis have different tow ratings. Probably due to overhang length on the rear.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/TRUCKBBAS...me-Chassis.pdf

The 22,000lbs GVWR F53 used on the 350TS only has a tow rating of 4,000lbs. My towed weighs 4500# so I'm over that. But you also have to pay attention to your GCWR. If you did it you would have to pack light. My 350TS should not pull it based on my loaded weight of 21,000lbs and GCWR of 26,000lbs. Towing 5800lbs would not meet both ratings.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #3

Thanks!

So if I want to tow my Yukon XL, which would have to have a dolly too, since I have a single speed transfer case and cannot put it in neutral, I should probably buy a diesel pusher or something with more tow capacity?

I would hate to spend $80,000.00 plus on an RV that will not do the job.

Thanks again!
Don
snybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #4

A diesel pusher would be much better at towing a 5800lbs vehicle. Of course it's going to cost you more and some of the smaller ones are only rated for towing 5000#s also.

I really wouldnt want to ask my 350TS to pull much more than it does now. Especially after moving out to Colorado I am very down on power. I've set up a Honda fit to start towing instead.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #5

I am a newbie to this towing idea, and am trying to understand the whole concept.

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier, that I would like to tow on a two axle car hauler rated to 7,500. I am planning on upgrading to a 10K lb hitch on my 2008 Georgetown 315DS that has a GVWR of 20,500. From this spec sheet, I have 5,500 of towing capacity. Again, if I understand correctly. https://www.fleet.ford.com/TRUCKBBAS...essd_08mhc.pdf

Now I know my truck is heavier than the 5,500 rating, so my question is would bags in the rear compensate for the extra weight? Or would it be a stupid idea all together and not even possible? I have been looking and trying to learn on the way.

Thanks,
Jeff
jhughes3281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughes3281 View Post
I am a newbie to this towing idea, and am trying to understand the whole concept.

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier, that I would like to tow on a two axle car hauler rated to 7,500. I am planning on upgrading to a 10K lb hitch on my 2008 Georgetown 315DS that has a GVWR of 20,500. From this spec sheet, I have 5,500 of towing capacity. Again, if I understand correctly. https://www.fleet.ford.com/TRUCKBBAS...essd_08mhc.pdf

Now I know my truck is heavier than the 5,500 rating, so my question is would bags in the rear compensate for the extra weight? Or would it be a stupid idea all together and not even possible? I have been looking and trying to learn on the way.

Thanks,
Jeff
Air bags are not going to make it right. If your combined weight of both coach and towed vehicle are over 26,000 lbs you're asking for trouble. I'm sure the reason FR installed a 5,000 lbs rated hitch was to keep the total of both vehicles in line with the CGVWR for the chassis of 26,000 lbs.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Air bags are not going to make it right. If your combined weight of both coach and towed vehicle are over 26,000 lbs you're asking for trouble. I'm sure the reason FR installed a 5,000 lbs rated hitch was to keep the total of both vehicles in line with the CGVWR for the chassis of 26,000 lbs.
So basically, AND SAFELY, it can't be done.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughes3281 View Post
So basically, AND SAFELY, it can't be done.
I wouldn't do it personally. Those ratings are there to provide the information to keep driver and everyone around them safe. You can't put a price on safety. I think of it this way. When they built the chassis, the engine, transmission were designed to properly handle the combined weight of the two vehicles. The brakes were sized to be able to stop that combined weight safely. Anything passed that 26,000 lbs and who knows what might happen?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 06-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I wouldn't do it personally. Those ratings are there to provide the information to keep driver and everyone around them safe. You can't put a price on safety. I think of it this way. When they built the chassis, the engine, transmission were designed to properly handle the combined weight of the two vehicles. The brakes were sized to be able to stop that combined weight safely. Anything passed that 26,000 lbs and who knows what might happen?
I hear, and agree with you. I know we see people all the time exceeding those specs, but I agree 110% with you about being safe. You can ruin a lot of people's days with a brake malfunction from towing past the limit.

I guess that means I have to get another offroad vehicle...don't tell the wife.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #10

We are thinking about a towed vehicle - do not have one now. So given the towing limits what vehicles would be on everyone's top 3 list? I want to be able to tow 4 wheels down. Suggestions? Oh we have 3 children - so seating for 5. The plan is to use the toad to access points of interest (like the Going to the Sun highway through Glacier National Park) and shopping (not having to unhook the rv for a grocery run.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #11

I would guess the new 4 door Wrangler would be one. IMHO
Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
We are thinking about a towed vehicle - do not have one now. So given the towing limits what vehicles would be on everyone's top 3 list? I want to be able to tow 4 wheels down. Suggestions? Oh we have 3 children - so seating for 5. The plan is to use the toad to access points of interest (like the Going to the Sun highway through Glacier National Park) and shopping (not having to unhook the rv for a grocery run.
We tow a 2010 Ford Escape that can seat 5 and still have cargo space behind. Being a father of 3 too, It would be better to have the 3rd seat. Were part of the station wagon age and even that can get crowded. There are some Ford and GM products that can be towed 4 on the ground and have the room you need. Family motor coach publishes a list of vehicles that can be towed with very little modification.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
We tow a 2010 Ford Escape
do you recall offhand what it weighs and did you have to do modifications? Are you usually in mountainous areas and have you noticed the towed vehicle affects driveability?

This trip (leaving tomorrow) we will probably rent a car at one or more sites. I'm not sure we'd tow a vehicle that far however. Do you leave your escape at home for some trips and take it on others or tow it all the time? Our children are still fairly small - still one car seat and two boosters - but they are growing. Soon the boys are not going to be able to share that lower bunk!
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #14

With 3 kids in car seats i'd think you'd want 3 row seating to be comfortable.
Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia are right around 5,0000#.
Ford Flex is a little less.
Those are the only 3 row seating towable vehicles under 5000# I know of.

Mountain driving performance is all about weight. They more you weigh, the harder it will be to pull the grades. Just take your time becuase you will be slow. My towed goes with me wherever I go no matter how far or how high. It's our rescue boat in case something breaks on the motorhome.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
do you recall offhand what it weighs and did you have to do modifications? Are you usually in mountainous areas and have you noticed the towed vehicle affects driveability?

This trip (leaving tomorrow) we will probably rent a car at one or more sites. I'm not sure we'd tow a vehicle that far however. Do you leave your escape at home for some trips and take it on others or tow it all the time? Our children are still fairly small - still one car seat and two boosters - but they are growing. Soon the boys are not going to be able to share that lower bunk!
We tow our 2004 Grand Am most of the time. It's usually just my wife and myself and occassionally one or two of our daughters. However, we go to Myrtle Beach each summer for a week and always rent a car once we get there. The rental is usually very reasonable and by the time we figure the additional gas to tow the car, the ease of finding a parking spot with just the motorhome and the wear & tear on both vehicles it's just simpler to rent the car. Best part is DW does all the driving once we get there and I get to enjoy the scenery.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Tags
georgetown 350ts, tow limits, towing