Old 03-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #11
Sounds like you tried to do your due dilligence. Maybe you were within the tow vehicles specs. None of that mattered when you towed it without trailer brakes, not to mention anti-sway. Now that you have those things hopefully your tow vehicle will have the tow capacity necessary. I am sure many tow beyond their vehicles capacities and do fine. I can't tell you that it is OK to do so. What I can say definitively is that it certainly wasn't safe to tow without brakes and anti-sway.

MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #12
Find a friend with a 3/4 ton pickup or possibly rent one for a day or two. How about any RV parks around you, check there and see if anyone with a 3/4 ton pickup would tow it for you for a reasonable fee. By the time you spend $$ on outfitting your current vehicle, you could afford to pay someone local a few hundred bucks to get it to it's final destination!

Days camping (2015)----88 days
Days camping (2016) ---110 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #13
As other mentioned - can you not rent a 1 ton for the day?
Dave, Southern,ON

2009 GMC K1500 4x4 Crew Cab
2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #14
Maybe she updated her original post after everyone read it but the first post clearly said they have already put on a weight distribution hitch AND anti- sway, and adding a brake controller.

Looking at some on-line specs. Trailer weighs 7700. Suburban can tow 8100. If that trailer is totally unloaded, no propane tanks, no battery, no personal items, etc, this looks like it is doable. But brake hookup, weight distribution, and anti-sway must be be in place, as they already are.

BTW, as most of us know a brake controller is mandatory by law!!!!
Evereddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #15
Go to your local rv dealer and have them move it for you.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #16
For the one time hire someone with the right rig. Too much chance for a disaster.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #17
Evereddie, yes...that was all in my original post..i did not go back and edit it.

The break lights and everything worked....and it was a straight shot to my home (no hills ect)....and we went really slow.

Us being newbies...def. lessons are learned. We will not pull it again unless we get something installed inside the suburban.

We ALREADY have the WDH and sway bar.

I am hearing all of your concerns about the brake thing...and I appreciate you re-iterating it.....message received!

I called our local RV dealer and they didn't have someone that could help me, which i thought was weird...seeings that is their business. I called a hauling place and it was $800...which unfortunately I don't have right now.

I will keeping putting a message out to friends to see if anyone has something bigger than our suburban.

With my husband doing all the calculations, like evereddie mentioned above...we should be able to haul it just fine if not loaded up. All the extras like tanks ect...we will bring in a separate vehicle or trip up. I want the suburban and trailer to be as light as possible. Thats IF we use it.

We need it up there before April 22nd.

Again...thank you for all of your input. I am sure a lot of you are just shaking your head at me.....
This is my very first post here...seeings we are new owners.
Sabrinaandbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #18
In order for us to tow our 2702WS (6250 dry, 7200 loaded) with our 2014 Suburban, I needed to add an equalizer 4 point WD hitch, brake controller, change to LT tires, upgraded shocks to Monroe Relfex and the biggest thing was a HD transmission cooler. Now, I too towed without all this, (except the brake controller and WD hitch) and found it to be doable in the flat (7% grade heated the Suburban up pretty good) for 2-300 miles. Did it once, then changed everything out. So one time, doable, but not long term. Long term for us we will buy a 2500HD. Even with all we have done to the Suburban, it's marginal as a TV with 7200lbs behind it. (8100 tow capacity)
2016 Rockwood 2702WS
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 4x4 High Country
dmdomokos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #19
If this is a one and done tow, I'd go to U-Haul and rent a pick up for the day just to get it to your property or even enterprise to see what they have for you to rent for the day.
2013 Prime Time Tracer 3200BHT
2016 GMC Crew Cab Duramax All Terrain
Ribs in the smoker and Whiskey in hand
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #20
I just called U-haul...and he told me a 15' truck would move it no problem. When I mentioned a brake controller in the truck he said there was not one.
UGH....I thought i was getting somewhere.

Sabrinaandbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

2011, salem, suburban