Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrinaandbilly View Post
I just called U-haul...and he told me a 15' truck would move it no problem. When I mentioned a brake controller in the truck he said there was not one.
UGH....I thought i was getting somewhere.

I believe their moving trucks have the trailer brakes integrated into the connection without a controller inside the cab. A few years back, we rented one and towed one of their car trailers that had electric brakes and no controller in the cab
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:04 AM   #22

For a one time tow, take it easy and you should be okay. Check and double check the hitch, sway control, and trailer brakes, then go for it. Many, many folks have towed heavy trailers with underrated tow vehicles for years and are still alive to talk about it. I am one of those, but it was years ago.
I believe you will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrinaandbilly View Post
We just got a new to us travel trailer. We have a 2011 chevy suburban LT 1500

We will NOT be towing this on a regular basis. We purchased some land here in Maine and will be permanently placing it on that. It is a 3 hour drive to get to the location (grand Lake Stream, ME).

We pulled it from the town purchased in to our home. (about and hour drive).

We put a weight distribution on it....but also have a sway bar we put on AFTER we made that drive, so havent tested it yet.

I followed my husband in my car with my hazard lights on and he did about 45 on the highway the whole way home. Anything over 50 was a bit scary I think.

My husband seems confident about pulling it to Grand Lake....but I am nervous! I will most likely follow behind him again to keep an eye on things.

I think he plans to buy and install a brake controller so we can control brakes of camper as well.

So this will be the only time we will ever pull this camper anywhere. We will live in it in the summers while we build :-)

We will not have our 3 kids and dog with us...and I don't plan to load up camper with a ton of stuff. We can bring stuff there later on.

Thoughts on all of this?

Doable?

Thanks in Advance!

Attaching image of our set up.

You can pull it with what you got . only 3 hrs take it easy no need to get new TV or pay to have it hauled . you have the WD and anti sway . and since it's not a unit your hauling all over the place imo i would do it ,just be in no hurry and careful . you can have all the right stuff and still have trouble
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #24
Cutty

We pull a 32bud Heritage Glenn with an 07 suburban1500 with the 5.3 in it. Although it does not like it being back there it does pull it, with sway bars set up correctly and breaks installed by dealer my gas goes from mere 14 to 9 mpg. I do not like windy days and the feel of it blowing me around. Dealer said it would be OK but he also wanted to sell the TT. I wish I had something bigger but it does an alright job if I'm not in a hurry and I'm very careful. Get the sway bars set up and breaks set up and be very careful and you'll be just fine. One of my challenges was re-setting the pitch on the sway bar hitch which required 260 torque. So I had to buy a wrench that could do that and check the torque on the bolts after driving a ways. Make sure the tires have enough air in them. I also installed new mirrors so I could see down the sides of the trailer. The clip on ones were junk and vibrated. Keep your weight to a bare minimum and if your following him put all you can in your vehicle to keep the TT as lite as possible. Holding Tanks empty, water tanks empty ect. But then again after buying a sway bar hitch, mirrors, brakes, and extras you could pay someone to take it up there.
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, salem, suburban