Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2018, 06:24 PM   #1

2011 Toyota Avalon on acme tow dolly

My old Camry had a keyed ignition which required a key to be inserted in accessory position and required a charge line to the battery to keep it charged. This allowed the wheels to turn when towing on the dolly.

I now have a new (old) car to tow behind my rv. 2011 Toyota Avalon. The dolly is fixed so the wheels need to turn on the toad. My Avalon does have a steering lock. I can turn the wheels with the engine off as long as the remote is left in the car. It has a push button start.

Do any of you fellow rvers happen to know if I need to do anything special to tow this car? I have all the equipment to hook up a charge line. I can find nothing in the manual specifically addressing the steering issue or towing on a fixed dolly. I will be adding magnetic brake lights when towing. Thanks for any help with this issue.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
geezer with gadgets

We towed my wife's 2011 Avalon for a couple of years on a Tow Master tow dolly. Never did anything to the car. Drive it onto the dolly and shut if off. Probably towed it for about 10,000 miles before we got our jeep set up for flat towing.

Your dolly might be different. I'd check the owner's manual and see what it has to say about towing.

Good luck!

Happy travels...

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #3

Nothing in the manual

Thanks for the response. My dolly requires the toad steering to be unlocked since it has no turn table or dolly steering. I think I will just hook up the charge line and leave the ignition on accessory position. Not my preferred method but I can make it work.
Retired BTC USN
Chesapeake, Virginia
charles l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #4

Either that or at every rest stop, just start the car up for 20 mins or so. I use to have to leave my ACC on and after about 4 hrs my battery would be dead, once I let it run at rest stops never had the problem again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles l View Post
Thanks for the response. My dolly requires the toad steering to be unlocked since it has no turn table or dolly steering. I think I will just hook up the charge line and leave the ignition on accessory position. Not my preferred method but I can make it work.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, toyota