Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #1

2012 Tow Rating

I'm not sure if this will allow me to upload the document but, if it does its a great reference

Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #2

Apparently it only allows video. You can search it under "Trailer Life" 2012 Towing Guide. Very good information on towing

Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
Site Team

I was checking out Ford and chevys towing guides online today. I must say I was very impressed with Chevy. They are finally saying what rv'ers have been saying for a long time. They actually tell people to go weigh the truck with options to determine its capabilities. They also explain rawr, gvwr, and gcwr. They tell people payload and towing capacities as stated are estimations and needs to be further determined. They also tell you to expect tongue weights between 10-16% and pin weights between 16-25%. They even tell you what pin and tongue weight percentage they used to calculate specs. It almost sounds like it was written by someone with a camping background. Now maybe we will start to see a few less overloaded vehicles out there.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

i got the Trailer Life Towing Guide, with my latest edition of TL and i was not impressed with it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Now maybe we will start to see a few less overloaded vehicles out there.
Sadly, probably very few less- there are those who just don't know better and are unlikely to read a towing guide since they're already hooked up. Then there are those who knowingly exceed the recommendations because they know better or they don't want a bigger truck for this, that or the other reason and have decided it's safe anyway. And finally, there are those who "have" to be overloaded because of finances. It's unfortunate.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #6

Or those that listened to the RV dealer. "You can tow anything on the lot with that"
Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Or those that listened to the RV dealer. "You can tow anything on the lot with that"
I swear if I pulled into most Dealers lot with a Toyota Tacoma and said I wanted a fifth wheel, by golly they'd make it happen!
Krazyyyyy!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #8

I could not agree with you more. I would compare it to the motorcycle dealer who does not know if you have a motorcycle license. I think the one thing that creates most confusion and misunderstanding is the terminology. Axel Ratio, GCWR, GVWR, UVW, CCC... for those are entering the camping lifestyle they discover these item usually after the fact. I've been member of FROG for a couple of years and I learn something almost every time I log on. Whether its about my camper or TV or one I plan to purchase. I value the information we share and who knows, something you shared with someone else on here today, may have saved them or a member of their for a tragic situation.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #9

Just one more thing to add... when you are looking at the specs on a particular model truck make sure you read the small print. The configuration of the vehicle makes a world of difference in the towing and bed capacities. All F-150s with eco boost are not equal, take it from one who learned the hard way.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #10

Yep. Was sitting in a 9000lb. dry fiver the other day at a RV show and the salesman was pushing the F150 to another guy considering the unit. They are clueless. No problem he says with its 11,100lb tow rating.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote