Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #11

Thanks for the recent responses. We ended up with a 2003 Ford F350 SRW 5.4. The power leaves a lot to be desired. It struggles on the slight inclines up and down Hey 37 on the way to Hardin Ridge. The steering is horrible. The stability is even worse. We are using the 4 point Equalizer anti sway wdh and it is adjusted properly. We have new michelin E rated tires, replaced front ball joints, tie rods and put in a new Redhead steering gear box. The tires are properly inflated and the trailer is properly loaded. It's been the worst towing experience ever! The truck has terrible 'body roll'. When going straight at highway speeds and slightly turn the wheel left or right, it's like you're on ice. The front goes left and the rear goes right before it catches up and follows the front. It's a terrifying feeling. Latch 8000 lbs and 33.5' to that and it's an accident waiting to happen. Everything will remain parked until we can figure out what the fix is. Or, unload the truck and lose our butts.
Sorry for the negative post but it's where we're at.
Kristy

TT - Freedom Express LE 292BHDS
2008 KR Expedition EL 4x4 w/HD towing
paintscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #12

That's a lot of truck for a 5.3 my buddy bought my old 99 v10 f250sd he hated the mileage so I bought it back and he got the same with a 5.3 and he hated the power.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintscando View Post
Thanks for the recent responses. We ended up with a 2003 Ford F350 SRW 5.4. The power leaves a lot to be desired. It struggles on the slight inclines up and down Hey 37 on the way to Hardin Ridge. The steering is horrible. The stability is even worse. We are using the 4 point Equalizer anti sway wdh and it is adjusted properly. We have new michelin E rated tires, replaced front ball joints, tie rods and put in a new Redhead steering gear box. The tires are properly inflated and the trailer is properly loaded. It's been the worst towing experience ever! The truck has terrible 'body roll'. When going straight at highway speeds and slightly turn the wheel left or right, it's like you're on ice. The front goes left and the rear goes right before it catches up and follows the front. It's a terrifying feeling. Latch 8000 lbs and 33.5' to that and it's an accident waiting to happen. Everything will remain parked until we can figure out what the fix is. Or, unload the truck and lose our butts.
Sorry for the negative post but it's where we're at.
Kristy
your sig suggests a different truck, but looking at the 2003 F350, yeah, those drive like that.

I recently went from an 03 Excursion to an 05 F250 simply because of the suspension changes. The problem with super duty trucks up to 05 is that they were all leaf spring suspension. It tends to give them a floaty ride which is not really what I like when towing. There is only so much you can do with the front end (and BTW - they NEED rear anti-sway bars too). I was about to drop an 06 front end under mine when my wife saw the numbers I had figured for the swap and I ended up buying a newer truck.

You will find that an 05 up Ford will do much better. A similar year Dodge and Chevy are both coil front ends, Ford just help out longer on the leaf springs.

As to the power, those trucks are just too heavy for the small gas engine. I would at least look for a v10 if you want to stay away from diesel.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
personally I would never own another 1/2 ton unless I gave up camping and or towing trailers.. my last gasser (6.0) did ok but I did not like seeing 5000 rpm on any hills
The newer 1/2 tons are just as capable as the older diesels. 10 years of technology has vastly improved the old gassers. The major limitations of 1/2 tons are the payload, tongue weight, and wheelbase. Heck my 1/2 ton with a 1600 lb payload capacity and 9300 lb tow rating is basically like an older 3/4 ton. Of course the numbers don't mean everything, so I always like to hear real world experiences.

Towing my 7K loaded TT the highest revs I experienced with my 5.6L and 3.36 gears was 4500 rpm's for a quick burst on a long grade passing a slow moving truck and keeping ahead of traffic (with 2000 rpm's left before redline). Most of the trip she just purred along at 2300-2500 rpm's in 4th and 3500-3700 rpm's in 3rd when needed. Would I want to tow all day up steep mountain grades and tight, twisting access roads...heck no, but a couple hundred highway miles and a few back roads 8-10 times a year no problem. Just my take.

The Liberty Edition pkg adds about 700-800 lbs to the listed base weight of the Freedom Express 292BHDS. Your interior and exterior are very similar to mine and the Sunset Trails also offer an exterior pkg that adds a similar amount of weight. Basically that front fiberglass cap is the heavy part, but there's not much more for extra money and weight. Looks nice, but for a half ton I chose to skip that pkg to save some weight and $.
WD: Equalizer 1200/12K
BC: Ram OEM
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDog66 View Post
The newer 1/2 tons are just as capable as the older diesels. 10 years of technology has vastly improved the old gassers. The major limitations of 1/2 tons are the payload, tongue weight, and wheelbase. Heck my 1/2 ton with a 1600 lb payload capacity and 9300 lb tow rating is basically like an older 3/4 ton. Of course the numbers don't mean everything, so I always like to hear real world experiences.

T
I have towed with a 99SD V10, then to a 04 6.0 gasser HD then a 06 diesel, even drove a friends 2013 1500 with 6.2 403hp and it was ok but nothing like over 400/800 pulling 13k up a hill in 5th sitting at 2100rpm with lots of pedal left. still I am partial to the diesel, and always will

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote