Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #11

Hello everyone. First, thank you all for your time and input. It's very helpful and like I said originally I know it's truly unbiased. Forums like this allow these newbies like me to learn from veterans like you all.

So my wife and I sat down and read all this tonight. We've walked away with a several important points.

1. Research, research and more research. We have SO much to read and look at on this forum.
2. Weight wise, we want to stay under 5000 lbs on the yellow sticker to give us plenty of room, even with 1000-1500lbs of added weight as several of you suggested.
3. A bunkhouse style TT is probably out - going to simply be too long for our 116" wheel base. This was probably my main concern after talking to the dealer. They seem to think this is no problem, but that trailer just looked huge for a Yukon (total length around 30', 2702SS). No one here came close to thinking that length size trailer would be ok....kind of what I was expecting!
4. 3.42 gear ratio - lower is not better in the towing world. Can't change it....another reason to not approach the 8100lb limit!
5. Hybrid will probably be the best bet to give us the most room for our family of four, plus one dog. I think I need to just deal with the fact that it's a little more maintenance and setup on the hybrid side - - - but can not be nearly as much as setting a tent site! And still have to deal with the darn drying out after rain!

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back with tons more questions as my research continues. This was a fantastic start!

Old 08-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #12
Fulltime family RVer

I really strongly suggest weighing to get a true feel for where you're at. A bunkhouse implies kids and kids imply lots of crap (I have 2 crap-filled kids! Ages 9 and 1.) With 2 "not small" parents, we eat up a lot of payload before we hook up to a camper.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
Incheon, S. Korea

You can change the ratio of your rear end!
I'm in Korea now, so I have no clue as to what that would cost, but it would be a great opportunity to add a locking differential, too.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpeterson5 View Post
Hello everyone. First, thank you all for your time and input. It's very helpful and like I said originally I know it's truly unbiased. Forums like this allow these newbies like me to learn from veterans like you all.

So my wife and I sat down and read all this tonight. We've walked away with a several important points.

1. Research, research and more research. We have SO much to read and look at on this forum.
2. Weight wise, we want to stay under 5000 lbs on the yellow sticker to give us plenty of room, even with 1000-1500lbs of added weight as several of you suggested.
3. A bunkhouse style TT is probably out - going to simply be too long for our 116" wheel base. This was probably my main concern after talking to the dealer. They seem to think this is no problem, but that trailer just looked huge for a Yukon (total length around 30', 2702SS). No one here came close to thinking that length size trailer would be ok....kind of what I was expecting!
4. 3.42 gear ratio - lower is not better in the towing world. Can't change it....another reason to not approach the 8100lb limit!
5. Hybrid will probably be the best bet to give us the most room for our family of four, plus one dog. I think I need to just deal with the fact that it's a little more maintenance and setup on the hybrid side - - - but can not be nearly as much as setting a tent site! And still have to deal with the darn drying out after rain!

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back with tons more questions as my research continues. This was a fantastic start!
Research is key. You must make the decision for yourself based upon what your comfort level is.

On that 2702 - I would guess you will be close to 6250 loaded going down the road. At 12.5% tongue weight that is 782. Not too bad, but a sizable chunk for a nice SUV.

One of the unfortunate truth's about towing with an SUV is that the nicer it is (more features, more comforts) the less tow capacity it has. The Denali camoes with all the bells and whistles, and each one of those eats away at your CCC Cargo Carrying Capacity. the listed curb weight 5685, plus all your gear, people etc, that may not leave much capacity. Hopefully it leaves around 800 pounds.

BTW - that is nice layout for a family trailer. We looked at one similar by Grey Wolf (although it is much heavier.)

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
You can change the ratio of your rear end!
For an AWD, that would be times 2.....the front differential gears would need to be changed, also.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
For an AWD, that would be times 2.....the front differential gears would need to be changed, also.
reminds me I meant to add above that with a 6 speed select-able transmission, it is a lot easier to downshift and lock out 5 and 6 if necessary. Doing both gear-sets on a modern GM AWD would be at least 4K.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #17

JR, welcome to the forum!

I too am a newbie. I've been reading the posts and doing my due diligence going on 6 months now. You are getting very valuable information from the people on this forum. I can tell you, even with my 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab, I'm concerned with picking the appropriate toy hauler.

I've gone back-and-forth with the idea of upgrading my TV and have looked at several different toy hauler options.

Thanks to the information on this forum I'm adjusting my expectation to be safer and more realistic on getting a unit that'll match my TV.

Best wishes on whatever unit you decide to go with.

V-Dub
2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide CVO - V&H HO's & PC-V
V-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #18
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post

Missed the AWD part... Never mind.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
For the actual camper weight loaded, you'll need to add at least 1000 lbs to the yellow sticker dry weights and figure on a tongue weight that's 12-13% of that loaded weight. Or better yet, use the campers GVWR as the weight guideline. Either way, I'd suggest that you stay under 6500 lbs loaded which would put the ideal tongue weight around 800 lbs. As already mentioned, you really need to pay attention to the payload capacity, especially if you have many passengers or gear to carry in the SUV.

The shorter wheelbase makes sway control of utmost importance...you may want to consider a premium W/D sway control hitch like Pro Pride or Hennessey to keep it in check. For camper length you might go as long as 28' with the hitches mentioned above.

Dave
I had to laugh when I read (Pro Ride or Hennessey to keep it in check)? Not very good advice to tell a Newbee to (Drink-Hennessy Cognac) to control a T/V & R/V! A (Hensley-Hitch) might be a better option! Youroo!!
Old 08-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #20

With your truck, I would get a 28 footer around 6K yellow sticker, a 4 point Equal-i-zer hitch and not give it a second thought. You have a capable tow vehicle.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, newbie, towing