Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
With your truck, I would get a 28 footer around 6K yellow sticker, a 4 point Equal-i-zer hitch and not give it a second thought. You have a capable tow vehicle.
Even with the Equalizer hitch you may still not like the tires. I have been pulling trailers for a long time. Pulling my 30' trailer even with WD and sway control was still an uncomfortable experiance rolling down the freeway and anything above 50 MPH. The P rated tires have so much sidewall flex it feels like it's wandering all over the road. You will constantly be providing input into the steering to keep it straight in the lane.

I was happy with my Denali's HP and braking but the tires were what made it a bad experience. Also the suspension on the Denali is like the Escalade. It is not like the rest of the Yukon models and the Suburban.

I think your Denali will be fine, but you need to keep in mind the tires. You can find LT tires in your size but the selection is small.

Jason
2014 Montana 356TBF
Big Bad Allis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpeterson5 View Post
Hello everyone. First, thank you all for your time and input. It's very helpful and like I said originally I know it's truly unbiased. Forums like this allow these newbies like me to learn from veterans like you all.

So my wife and I sat down and read all this tonight. We've walked away with a several important points.

1. Research, research and more research. We have SO much to read and look at on this forum.
2. Weight wise, we want to stay under 5000 lbs on the yellow sticker to give us plenty of room, even with 1000-1500lbs of added weight as several of you suggested.
3. A bunkhouse style TT is probably out - going to simply be too long for our 116" wheel base. This was probably my main concern after talking to the dealer. They seem to think this is no problem, but that trailer just looked huge for a Yukon (total length around 30', 2702SS). No one here came close to thinking that length size trailer would be ok....kind of what I was expecting!
4. 3.42 gear ratio - lower is not better in the towing world. Can't change it....another reason to not approach the 8100lb limit!
5. Hybrid will probably be the best bet to give us the most room for our family of four, plus one dog. I think I need to just deal with the fact that it's a little more maintenance and setup on the hybrid side - - - but can not be nearly as much as setting a tent site! And still have to deal with the darn drying out after rain!

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back with tons more questions as my research continues. This was a fantastic start!
Similar situation when i first started out... unfortunately, i found out AFTER i purchased my first TT that "Your vehicle won't have any problem towing it" really meant i needed at new TV.
I now tow with an Armada with a 122" WB... and our camper is a Rockwood Mini Lite 2306... it's 3900# Dry WT and 23'-9" from spare tire to tip of the hitch. That was as long as i would go. I get no sway at all using my Equal-i-zer 4pt WDH with sway control.
You might want to take a look at this floor plan... the murphy bed system makes it a REALLY nice choice for a family of 4 AND wanting to keep the unit length to a minimum... and it would be well within your towing limits (my Armada has a 6500# max tow and tows flawlessly).
Old 08-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #23

I have a 2013 Yukon XML Denali and was very disappointed in the over heating of both the engine and transmission. (18ec work and play) It has a 1000 lb hitch weight and 8100 lb tow max. My trailer is 5400 lbs dry. Travel at 60 mph.

Gave it to wife at 4500 miles on speedo. Bought Ford F 150 with echo boost, max tow and max weight (7650 lb) with tow capacity now of 11,200 lbs. Much happier now. I love this truck, how it handles and tows. My first Ford in 73 years!

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #24
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
Bought Ford F 150 with echo boost, max tow and max weight (7650 lb) with tow capacity now of 11,200 lbs. Much happier now. I love this truck, how it handles and tows. My first Ford in 73 years!
Jack
How is that echo boost? echo boost... echo boost... echo boost...

Sorry, I couldn't resist once I got the idea in my head.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #25
10x

I had a Durango with a hemi pulling a 28 ft. It was too much trailer in my opinion. It was very squirelly at highway speeds. I bought a F250 turbo diesel crew cab 4x4. The linger wheelbase of the TV made all the difference. I would stay below 25 ft with your Denali.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
How is that echo boost? echo boost... echo boost... echo boost...

Sorry, I couldn't resist once I got the idea in my head.
It's actually Ecoboost, not echo. Sorry to bust the bubble.

The Rockwood Minilites are definitely worth considering. Another option that I just recently realized was out there is the SolAire Sevens. They are 7 feet wide instead of 8. Yes, you lose some room, but I bet it will tow MUCH better since it won't stick out much, if any, on the sides of the Yukon. Also makes it much easier to see around without having to buy expensive tow mirrors. I personally would lean toward something with bunks- we just didn't like the thought of having to put up and make beds every day. Here is one of the SolAire Sevens that I think would work great for you: Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quaility RVs since 1968

Keep in mind that the published length is total, not living. This one shows 29'5", meaning probably a 26'5" +/- living length. Something like this with an Equalizer 4 point hitch would work great. One thing to consider with the hybrid is that they do get lots of condensation on the canvas from what I hear. Also, not sure you can take them into some parks because of the tent beds. Many people have them and like them, however. Whatever you decide, I highly recommend you give Kelly Tussing a call at RVWholesalers. I ordered from him in Fall of 2011, my in laws in Spring 2012, and my Mom just purchased one last week from him. Great service and excellent prices. Good luck.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #27

I also recommend going with an LT E rated tire, as others have mentioned.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
I have a 2013 Yukon XML Denali and was very disappointed in the over heating of both the engine and transmission. (18ec work and play) It has a 1000 lb hitch weight and 8100 lb tow max. My trailer is 5400 lbs dry. Travel at 60 mph.
Jack
Wow, this is really surprising. I just finished a 7000+ mile trip through all kinds of temperature and elevation extremes with my '08 sequoia. Not one problem, never turned off the a/c once. Hard pulls were usually in 3rd gear running a 55-60 mph. Trailer weight was right around 6200 lbs.

I thought overheating would be a thing of the past with newer vehicles. Did you have the dealer look at it?

BTW, I'm not trying to start a "mines better than yours" discussion.

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, newbie, towing