Old 08-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #11

Just had to check.... fired my rig up and it shows 14v at idle. Actually, 14v even when revved up.

Sold... 2013 Shadow Cruiser 26
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #12

thanks for checking, I will definitely post the resolution.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #13

I had a Chevy S-10 that the battery would die periodically in about 5-6hours had it to 2 different repair places paid over a $1000 and it still drained the batter. I trouble shot it myself turned out to be a bad diode in the alternator.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #14

accumack. To bad you spent so much on poor diagnosis,any load/charge test will show a bad diode.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #15

the truck must be under warranty orther wis they would recomend replace both batterys dont let a dodge sit to long , it must be ready for camping, i have a freind with a dodge cecethat he let sit over the winter , he pressed the remote and the wind sheild wipers started and wouldnt stop until the batterys were dis conected then a trip to the dealer for a 1200 computer replace but good so far
Old 08-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #16

Thanks Big Bill.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #17

So, the dealer has replaced the second battery now! Which I asked why they didn't change both batteries the first time, he's aid they didn't need to. And then proceeded to tell me his resume. I politely told him I didn't need his resume I needed my truck fixed.

So they haven't found anything wrong the truck. Did a test on the alternator

Reg running = 120 amps

Loaded running = 160 amps

Me I don't understand any of these numbers but I guess from what they say this is normal.

The offered to keep it over night and run tests again in the morning. Me I don't know what that will accomplish other then I won't have to get the truck towed if it doesn't start. But then again roadside assistance pays for that.

I will say I'm getting best in class gas mileage right now. Seeing it's on a flat bed most of the time lately.

I'm really not sure what to do. Part of me wants to get the truck today. And also right a nice email on how rude and arrogant the service manager was.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #18

I hope that squares it away... wonder how they knew which battery to replace the first time?

I think that attitude thing with service writers, or whatever they call themselves, is fairly common. I get that at the Chevy garage with my 2013 Malibu and over at the RAM dealer too. I do my own oil and fuel filter changes. Mostly because I want it done right and I have the time. So when I drop by to have a recall issue handled, I get a ration about voiding warranties, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, lots of summer left to enjoy that beautiful camper. We are currently stuck near home awaiting the birth of our first granddaughter.... That's what Gran insists on and when Gran ain't happy, ain't no one happy.
So have fun and keep your road service numbers handy. Personally, I have AAA with the RV unlimited tow option. Never used it (when towing) but sure gives me some peace of mind... covers my MC too.

Good Luck and regards, Mike
Sold... 2013 Shadow Cruiser 26
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by burch42 View Post
So, the dealer has replaced the second battery now! Which I asked why they didn't change both batteries the first time, he's aid they didn't need to. And then proceeded to tell me his resume. I politely told him I didn't need his resume I needed my truck fixed.

So they haven't found anything wrong the truck. Did a test on the alternator

Reg running = 120 amps

Loaded running = 160 amps

Me I don't understand any of these numbers but I guess from what they say this is normal.

The offered to keep it over night and run tests again in the morning. Me I don't know what that will accomplish other then I won't have to get the truck towed if it doesn't start. But then again roadside assistance pays for that.

I will say I'm getting best in class gas mileage right now. Seeing it's on a flat bed most of the time lately.

I'm really not sure what to do. Part of me wants to get the truck today. And also right a nice email on how rude and arrogant the service manager was.
Drive the snot out of it till Saturday.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #20

I have the truck back, I had a very nice chat with the owner of the dealer, basically hoping he doesn't loose me to the dealer down the street

two brand new batteries and hope everything is good to go Thanks top all for trying to troubleshoot with me. Safe travels and if any are in goshen next week stop in and say hello

Tags
2013, 500, diesel