Old 08-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #1

2013 Ram 2500 diesel not starting

I thought I would start here but will most likely post something on the cummins forum as well. Last monday I went out to start the truck and nothing. You could tell that it was trying to turn over, just no juice. lights radio and windows were all working. tried to boost it and no luck. So we towed it to the dealership. they replace some fuses and a new battery and a lead wire that they said was open. Truck wasn't used for a couple days go out on Saturday to start it, and guess what no power. same issue, my question is to any of the ram diesel owners if they have any opinions on what the issue could be?

thanks in advanced

Old 08-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #2

Fuses and wires don't open for no reason. You are likely drawing too much current on the related circuits and the dealer replacing the fuses and wiring without finding the root cause is just setting the system up to fail again as your seeing.
Posting your question on the Cummins and TDR forums is a good idea.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burch42 View Post
I thought I would start here but will most likely post something on the cummins forum as well. Last monday I went out to start the truck and nothing. You could tell that it was trying to turn over, just no juice. lights radio and windows were all working. tried to boost it and no luck. So we towed it to the dealership. they replace some fuses and a new battery and a lead wire that they said was open. Truck wasn't used for a couple days go out on Saturday to start it, and guess what no power. same issue, my question is to any of the ram diesel owners if they have any opinions on what the issue could be?

thanks in advanced
Do you get a code displayed where the mileage would be on the OD? Do you know how to get this code? Here is how you can access the DTC code. • Insert key
• Move it from Lock to Off, pause
• Move to On/Run
• Back to Off
• Move to On/Run
• Back to Off
• Move to On/Run and stop
The three movements from Off to On/Run should
be done in less than, say, 5-seconds.
Read the codes where the truck’s odometer
shows total miles (not trip miles). Make note of
the code(s) .

This will lead anyone helping you as to what the issues is. You can also google the code on the internet and this will lead you to what the issues and how to resolve the problem.

This could be anything from the ECM to a short too ground condition on the engine/chassis. It could also be a sensor on the engine that has failed and is causing this short. That is why you need to know the DTC code.

The dealer should have replaced both batteries when one has failed; because the other one will fail shortly. The standard practice with heavy duty trucks that have two service batteries is to replace both when one needs replacing.

Jim
Old 08-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #4

jim,

thanks for your response, I did not know about this procedure before I had it towed to the dealer or i would have done that before he left and taken notes of the code. I have read about changing both batteries at the same time, but did not see that until my second time issue. I will however make them change both this time around.

Its a holiday today in ontario, so I will have to wait till tomorrow for this, Only issue I have is that we leave Saturday for a 20 day trip hauling our trailer, I really want piece of mind knowing it has been fixed properly this time.

I think I will ask for the list of codes that are reported on their test and make sure that all of them have been looked into.

I have also read about upgrading the batteries from the standard factory ones, what do you think on this?
Old 08-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #5

Codes

1st. Do what jim34 said. Pull up the codes. Then as jim34 said google the codes (don't wait until the dealer is open) You may be able to remedy this problem yourself. If there were codes when the dealer ran a test he would have had to fix the problem to be able to erase the codes. If found no codes the dealer erased them (ask them)
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by burch42 View Post

I have also read about upgrading the batteries from the standard factory ones, what do you think on this?
I replaced my batteries after four years of service. I replaced them with the same group size and cold cranking capacity from NAPA. Buy from a reputable battery dealer such as NAPA or your dealer, but they sometimes are pricey!
Old 08-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #7

hey MikeT, I cant do that as the truck is at the dealer presently. I will look at getting two batteries from them. They should be covered anyways
Old 08-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #8

Then this is a FYI for later.Also. If both batteries are not bad they will only replace one.
Diagnostic Trouble Codes FULL List - DodgeForum.com
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #9

Thanks Mike!

on the battery and only changing one, the tech said that to me when i picked my truck up after the first time that only the one battery would be covered as the other one was "ok". Ill be looking at some heavy duty batteries to change both of them if they are only changing one, Or ill check to see what the upgrade is from the dealer to get performance ones put in at the dealer and having them both upgraded at the same time. I just want it fixed right and to have my piece of mind at ease for our trip.

on another note, there has to be something that is draining the battery when not being used. does anyone know what the volts should be at when running? i remeber the computer on the dash saying it was at 13V after they put in the new battery.

Thanks again to all trying to help.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #10

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a similar truck and it's been trouble free so far. If you don't mind, it would be nice of you to post what the resolution of the problem is. Seems like your batteries should still be okay and the blown fuses looks like there's something else going on. I'm surprised your dealer didn't look further for a cause for the fuses blowing.

Sold... 2013 Shadow Cruiser 26
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, 500, diesel