Old 04-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #1

2014 3500 Dodge Ram in bed rail pucks

I am waiting from my dealer for a call but figure I might get an answer quicker here. The rear pucks on my 2014 truck have some relief cut into them at the midpoint of the slot. The front pucks do not. The Reese 30154 rails that are the match to the truck will drop into the rear pucks but not the front. I'm sure it is a relief issue but before I start filing I would request confirmation that the front pucks are not relieved on the trucks of those on here who own them. Thanks

Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Is this what you're referring to? Mine was a bear to get in, but I didn't have to make any adjustments. Took two of us about 30 mins to get it situated just right and then apply the "appropriate down force" to get it to seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 Ram adaptor3.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	50480  

2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #3

That is the unit I have. Do you remember if the slots in the pucks at the front were straight across or did they have relief. This is a picture of one of my front pucks. Straight across

This is a picture of the rear puck. Relief in center.

The Reese unit went in the back pucks easily. The left front was a little tighter but the right front got just past the surface and wouldn't go any further. I could probably have forced it but wondered would I be able to get out. I called the business where it was ordered from but they were closed for Good Friday. If they tell me to persuade it forcefully I will. Also waiting for info from Corporate Chrysler as to the configuration of the pucks. They were closed Good Friday as well. My truck was the first the dealer I purchased it from that had this new tow package so they couldn't tell me the puck configuration either.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkychuck View Post
That is the unit I have. Do you remember if the slots in the pucks at the front were straight across or did they have relief. This is a picture of one of my front pucks. Straight across

This is a picture of the rear puck. Relief in center.

The Reese unit went in the back pucks easily. The left front was a little tighter but the right front got just past the surface and wouldn't go any further. I could probably have forced it but wondered would I be able to get out. I called the business where it was ordered from but they were closed for Good Friday. If they tell me to persuade it forcefully I will. Also waiting for info from Corporate Chrysler as to the configuration of the pucks. They were closed Good Friday as well. My truck was the first the dealer I purchased it from that had this new tow package so they couldn't tell me the puck configuration either.
Your pictures did not upload, so I can't tell what it is that you mean by relief. What I remember (it was six months ago) from my install, was that the release/arms had to be in just the right positions so all four were going in the exact same direction. We then carefully positioned all four corners above the holes in the bed. Even then, the back two dropped right in, so we pushed back and down on the front two - there were boots involved - which got them started into the holes. At that point we applied the "appropriate" down force with said boots and in they went......

If it makes you feel any better, my RAM dealer was useless as well - they didn't even know that the adapter was required in order to install a fifth wheel hitch

That's all I got, my friend, hope it helps
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 04-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #5

Thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #6

Got it in today. It was almost as if something was a little out of square. Figured out which foot was off the most and then started it and then the others didn't fall into place but did enter their slots although not all the way. After applying an appropriate amount of boot force they all went in and now I am locked up tight and my slider is sitting on top of it. Not sure what it will be like if I decide to take it off but that won't be a least until this fall if ever.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #7

Glad you were able to get in. I haven't found any reason to take it back out yet, but I'm guessing there'd be a crow bar involved😎
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 04-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #8

Most likely. Thanks again
Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #9

I like the concept though it seems overly complicated. Why not just weld 4 steel blocks that are threaded for 1 inch grade 8 bolts that you thread in through the rails. I must be missing something
Old 04-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #10

Only guessing, but I'm thinking that the configuration has something to do with weight distribution, although the option of using a "gooseneck" hookup would run counter to that thinking since it loads all the weight on a single point. But when you look at a 5er hitch, it has 4 points of contact to distribute load

2014 Cedar Creek 38FL

Tags
2014, 3500, 500, bed, dodge