Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrom View Post
I think I have narrowed my new TV down to a 2014 Eco. I know a lot has been written about these trucks and the numbers look good. A couple questions I have:
What's the difference between Max Tow and without Max Tow. From the numbers I've seen, it looks like about 1000 Lbs and a different radiator.
What's the difference with Max Payload? I think I've seen 3 different options for payload numbers. What does Max Payload get you and can it be achieved with after market parts.

I'm looking at either new or slightly used 4x4, would prefer super cab with 6.5 foot bed (would settle for crew cab with 5.5 bed). Would like a XLT model, but would settle for FX4 or King Ranch. The 2014 with Eco Boost are getting a little harder to find, that's why I ask what is acceptable.

Thanks in advance.
I have a 2013 super crew with the Max tow package. It's a dream to tow with compared to my previous 2010 5.4 V8 with the regular tow package. The other truck would downshift 2 to 3 gears on a small incline, this one doesn't even downshift unless it gets pretty steep and then it's usually one gear. The Max tow can come with 3:73 gears like I have or 4:10's. You also get an extra leaf in the rear springs along with a bigger cooling package and I heard from a Ford engineer that the transmission is built tougher and the shift points are also changed to accommodate the heavier towing you will be pulling. My trailer weighs loaded with everything including water at about 8,000 lbs. I say opt for more rather than need it and not have it.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
I have a 2013 super crew with the Max tow package. It's a dream to tow with compared to my previous 2010 5.4 V8 with the regular tow package. The other truck would downshift 2 to 3 gears on a small incline, this one doesn't even downshift unless it gets pretty steep and then it's usually one gear. The Max tow can come with 3:73 gears like I have or 4:10's. You also get an extra leaf in the rear springs along with a bigger cooling package and I heard from a Ford engineer that the transmission is built tougher and the shift points are also changed to accommodate the heavier towing you will be pulling. My trailer weighs loaded with everything including water at about 8,000 lbs. I say opt for more rather than need it and not have it.
All you have to do is look to the doc I provided to clear up some of the misconceptions you have. No extra leaf. Same tranny. The major difference you are experiencing is the transition from an NA V8 to the Ecoboost. No comparison in towing performance.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
All you have to do is look to the doc I provided to clear up some of the misconceptions you have. No extra leaf. Same tranny. The major difference you are experiencing is the transition from an NA V8 to the Ecoboost. No comparison in towing performance.

Ford never advertised the extent of all the extra's that you get with the max tow over the standard package. Now this was from the lips of an engineer that works for Ford truck division. Maybe he doesn't know chit. But I do have an extra leaf on each side versus my 2010 with the standard tow package because I counted old versus new before I sold the previous one.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Ford never advertised the extent of all the extra's that you get with the max tow over the standard package. Now this was from the lips of an engineer that works for Ford truck division. Maybe he doesn't know chit. But I do have an extra leaf on each side versus my 2010 with the standard tow package because I counted old versus new before I sold the previous one.
My truck with the standard tow package with the 20" wheel option has the EXACT same springs and spring code as the MaxTow. I've confirmed from the build sticker- and this is confirmed in the doc I posted. Sounds like the engineer you spoke to was ill informed as well. I can guarantee you that for the cost of the MaxTow option in 2013 and the quantity they were selling, Ford did NOT tool up to produce a different transmission, either. If you still haven't looked at the doc I posted, you really should. It takes a little studying, but you'll find that, at least for the 2013 MY, the MaxTow package included very little over the standard tow Ecoboost- and nothing it includes justifies the increase in GVWR. No structural differences in the trucks, I mean.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
Where it gets confusing is that many of the things you listed in the MaxTow are included with all Ecoboost trucks. My 2013 NON MaxTow included the class IV hitch, 7 pin, same aux. trans cooler, trailer brake controller (only available in certain packages, mine is 302A XLT), Select Shift trans, etc. You need to read the tech document I attached earlier and forget what is in the brochure. I'll also add that the 9.75" gear is on all Ecoboost trucks. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty confident the only thing using the 8.8" was the base model 3.7L trucks.
The only difference between your 302A package and Max Tow is MT also includes upgraded rear bumper and the trailer towing mirrors. This is from my 2013 Ford brochure. MT option on my Lariat was $460. HD Payload pkg was $1695.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #26

I happened to be at my local Ford dealer looking to trade my 2005 F150, in short he said plan a-head. They were getting an Eco Boost in a couple of days, did I want to "test" drive? I did and waited awhile to make a decision.
I bought a 2011 XLT Super Cab EB 4WD, 3.73, 8,200 Package, Heavy Duty Payload - 2,393, Trailer Tow - 11,200, brake control, pwr/heat/tel/fold mirrors and LT E rated tires.
Bought a 30 TT, pulled like a dream (Equalizer Hitch).
Decided to get a FWT, Heavy Duty Payload set this truck ahead. Pin weight can be as much as some pickups total cab/bed allowed weight. My pin is 1,750, I still over 600 for cab and bed.
It's a torqueie critter, wish I owned a tire shop.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #27

Quote:
I'll also add that the 9.75" gear is on all Ecoboost trucks. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty confident the only thing using the 8.8" was the base model 3.7L trucks.
According to your document all F150 4x2's have the 8.8 differential. Just FYI Not trying to be confrontational .

Old 03-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #28

I picked up a '14 EB FX4 SCREW with 3.73 rear end back in November to better tow our 16' popup. With so much more capability, we just bought a new Grey Wolf 26DBH. I haven't pulled it yet and won't get to for a couple more weeks when we take delivery but I can say this thing is a beast at high altitude here in the mountains and I have no doubt it will be more than capable of towing our new camper. This video by Fast Lane Truck on Youtube is what sold me on the EB. https://youtu.be/QR-gMWRzvOg

2014 Ford F150 FX4 EB
2015 Grey Wolf 26DBH
1994 Palomino TXL
driftinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
According to your document all F150 4x2's have the 8.8 differential. Just FYI Not trying to be confrontational .
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinby View Post
This video by Fast Lane Truck on Youtube is what sold me on the EB. https://youtu.be/QR-gMWRzvOg
Google Eco-Boost Torture Test with Mike Rowe. That's what made me a believer.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I called Ford directly before I ordered my 2012 Max Tow. In addition to what has been mentioned, they also told me that suspension bushings in the front suspension are upgraded as a part of that package.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #31

Quote:
My truck with the standard tow package with the 20" wheel option has the EXACT same springs and spring code as the MaxTow. I've confirmed from the build sticker- and this is confirmed in the doc I posted. Sounds like the engineer you spoke to was ill informed as well. I can guarantee you that for the cost of the MaxTow option in 2013 and the quantity they were selling, Ford did NOT tool up to produce a different transmission, either. If you still haven't looked at the doc I posted, you really should. It takes a little studying, but you'll find that, at least for the 2013 MY, the MaxTow package included very little over the standard tow Ecoboost- and nothing it includes justifies the increase in GVWR. No structural differences in the trucks, I mean.

Then explain why I have an extra leaf in the back over my previous ford truck with the standard tow option? Remember I had both trucks at my disposal and I counted the rear leaf springs. One extra each side. Ford never advertised the whole package ever. I never said anything about a different trans, I said it had different shift points and that is done by computer setup, heavier clutches and it had a bigger trans cooler. Ford doesn't want returns on their trucks because of a trans overheating. None of those items were ever covered in any Ford literature. My neighbor does the computer setup on Ford pickups, he lives right behind me. I'm not going to sit here on this forum and argue about this. If you want it your way ....fine. This isn't the place for arguments.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #32

Quote:
I think I have narrowed my new TV down to a 2014 Eco. I know a lot has been written about these trucks and the numbers look good. A couple questions I have:
What's the difference between Max Tow and without Max Tow. From the numbers I've seen, it looks like about 1000 Lbs and a different radiator.
What's the difference with Max Payload? I think I've seen 3 different options for payload numbers. What does Max Payload get you and can it be achieved with after market parts.

I'm looking at either new or slightly used 4x4, would prefer super cab with 6.5 foot bed (would settle for crew cab with 5.5 bed). Would like a XLT model, but would settle for FX4 or King Ranch. The 2014 with Eco Boost are getting a little harder to find, that's why I ask what is acceptable.

Thanks in advance.
I just went through looking for new 2014 Ecoboosts with max tow and max payload. The max tow still can be found but the max payload is very rare. As of a few days ago there is a new gray and silver 2014 f-150 XLT extended cab 6.5 box Ecoboost with max tow and max payload at Folsum Ford in California. Probably one of the last available. Unfortunately, the F150 didn't work for me because hitch is not up to very heavy tongue of my trailer.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #33

Thanks for all the good info. One day soon I will go to my local dealer and see what they can find for me. My 5.4 still runs well, but has 156k miles on it and the torque and transmission worry me when we head for the mountains of NC. We only tow 10 or 12 weekends a year, with the longest trip being about 400 miles round trip.
2013 F-150 4x4 EB
vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
It appears as though you are correct- assuming the column headings for the Front Axle chart applies to the Rear Axle chart, which makes sense.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Then explain why I have an extra leaf in the back over my previous ford truck with the standard tow option? Remember I had both trucks at my disposal and I counted the rear leaf springs. One extra each side. Ford never advertised the whole package ever. I never said anything about a different trans, I said it had different shift points and that is done by computer setup, heavier clutches and it had a bigger trans cooler. Ford doesn't want returns on their trucks because of a trans overheating. None of those items were ever covered in any Ford literature. My neighbor does the computer setup on Ford pickups, he lives right behind me. I'm not going to sit here on this forum and argue about this. If you want it your way ....fine. This isn't the place for arguments.
Because you are comparing a 2010 5.4 to a 2013 Ecoboost, which might explain why your information isn't completely accurate for this debate. Like I said, I am speaking only of 2013-2014 Ecoboost trucks MaxTow versus non MaxTow. My truck has the GG rear spring code because of the 20" wheels whereas my exact truck but without the 20's gets an AA rear spring code. The GG code is the spring used in MaxTow for the 2013 year on a 4x4 SCrew. On page 99 of the doc, there is a 2+1 and a 3+1 spring listed, both with a 4220 pound rating. I can't find anywhere that specifies when one is used over the other- but they have the same rating, so it appears to be a moot point. Once again, heavier clutches in the trans would mean a separate build line- I just don't see it happening. Also, my understanding is that the Ecoboost trucks all got an auxiliary trans cooler that your 5.4 likely didn't have. Having different shift points makes no sense, either. When you select the Tow/Haul option you get the modified shift points- why would you need a separate program for MaxTow?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #36

One more thing, then I'll probably stop asking. What kind of MPG are you eco-boost 4x4 owners getting? Both towing and not towing. I doesn't really matter sense I've decided this is my best option.
2013 F-150 4x4 EB
vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #37

Quote:
One more thing, then I'll probably stop asking. What kind of MPG are you eco-boost 4x4 owners getting? Both towing and not towing. I doesn't really matter sense I've decided this is my best option.
I have a lifetime average over ~22,000 miles of around 13.2. I have 3.55 gears and the 20" wheel option. I ran XL load range tires for the first ~17000 miles and the remainder on LRD all terrain tires. This is with about 22% of my miles being used for towing a 2 TT's, one at ~9000 and the other at ~9400. I had a 2011 F250 2x4 6.7 PSD that averaged ~14.5 over the 8 months I had it with the same type of driving.

My mother has almost the exact same truck(EB, SCrew, 4x4, 3.55 gears). She has the 18" tires and ran the factory passenger tires and it got considerably better mileage than mine does. Her lifetime average until she swapped to A/T tires was 17.8 or so, IIRC. This was a mix of city and highway driving, but very little stop and go type traffic, and the occasional towing of a cattle trailer or flatbed.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Its a fun truck to drive. My dog can hear the turbos a block away and knows I am almost home. As far as gas mileage my towing at 55 2 lane blacktop some what hilly terrain I get 12 mpg average with AC on and AC on the seats as well.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Its a fun truck to drive. My dog can hear the turbos a block away and knows I am almost home. As far as gas mileage my towing at 55 2 lane blacktop some what hilly terrain I get 12 mpg average with AC on and AC on the seats as well.
I am averaging roughly the same. DW says that my heavy shoes in the gas pedal is the problem. But it does make me smile.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootdawg View Post
I am averaging roughly the same. DW says that my heavy shoes in the gas pedal is the problem. But it does make me smile.
It sure is fun! Nothing quite like having some kid in a Honda pull up revving his engine....the look of surprise as a *truck* Leaves him in the dust is priceless!

Our son keeps bugging me to get a new exhaust system and a intercooler for the turbos - claims it would ad 50-60HP to The Beast!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags