Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post

I use pause to only capture the towing mileage keeping the normal driving separate on another trip meter.

Attachment 81819

How do you use pause on the trip?

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDad01 View Post
How do you use pause on the trip?

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Just push the OK button.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #103

Get a Tundra. I love it but I'm getting 8mpg loaded.
GuppyWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyWN View Post
Get a Tundra. I love it but I'm getting 8mpg loaded.
I laugh at the few Tundras I see trying to drive over the passes here. That as I pass them on the upslope. . . Plus, I cannot think of a single reason to send more of my spent money overseas.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:27 PM   #105

Quote:
I laugh at the few Tundras I see trying to drive over the passes here. That as I pass them on the upslope. . . Plus, I cannot think of a single reason to send more of my spent money overseas.

Right on!!!!
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #106

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Each there own. Some people like the Toyota or Dodge and are very happy with towing. I had a GMC truck, once! Ford for me and I am happy with them. Makes it easy going to one dealer when upgrading also.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:48 AM   #107

Quote:
Yes, I use Tow/Haul all the time. I have seen 213 as a trans temp going up 11K passes at 80 degree ambient temp, but that is well within spec. Here is my dashboard trip meter from Colorado Springs to Hot Springs State Park to Yellowstone NP thru Big Horn Scenic Byway (torture test for sure while towing) to Keyhole State Park (by Devil's Tower) to Custer SP and return to Colorado Springs. Not a flat trip by any means and I got 10.5MPG.
Attachment 81818

I use pause to only capture the towing mileage keeping the normal driving separate on another trip meter.

Here is my average on the other trip meter when not towing on the same trip.
Attachment 81819

So from the looks of Trip B your getting close to 700 miles on one tank of Fuel? I get roughly 19 MPG avg with city/hwy but best tank I ever did was in the 625 range

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 07-03-2015, 06:17 AM   #108

Quote:
I cannot think of a single reason to send more of my spent money overseas.
My $$ went to Texas, when did they move off shore?

As a side note, when I replace my truck I will be looking a Ford 1st.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:24 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
My $$ went to Texas, when did they move off shore?

As a side note, when I replace my truck I will be looking a Ford 1st.
And from Texas your money went to Japan, the country that Toyota is based in.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Craven View Post
While working as a Ford Senior Master Technician, I regularly counseled people on their "perception" of fuel economy. All sorts of factors will have an affect on economy, temperature, ambient, engine and trans, Winds, either headwinds or tailwinds, elevation, grades, weight and configuration of towed load and many others. That said, if you drive in a careful manner, easy acceleration from stops, slow deceleration to stop signs and traffic signals, set tire pressures to manufacturers specifications, never to maximum listed on the tires, check tires when cold and ensure all routine vehicle maintenance is performed. Shut engine off when at stop over a couple of minutes. All these and more common sense tricks will garner you the best overall fuel economy. My 2012 F150, SCREW with 3.5 litre Ecoboost, w 3.55 gears, regularly returned figures of 10 - 11.5 when towing our 28 foot 7800lb TT. When not towing, my overall average is 20.4. I'm happy with those returns and chuckle when I hear someone talking about 18 - 20 when towing.
Right on Clark. You clearly said, "regularly returns" probably meaning the best regular returns. No one ever posts the worst. Plus many don't know how to figure mpg, some guess at it, and still others are just plain liars. Then readers get the impression that if they buy this or that truck, this is what they will get. Aren't we supposed to be helping fellow FR owners? Keep those exaggerated stories for around the campfire or after a fishing trip.

In our RV world, mpg and truck stories are much like the ones fishermen tell.

What really puzzles me is why people buying travel trailers (or motor homes) with the aerodynamics of a very large brick give a hoot mpg. I don't get it.

Showing a picture of the EVIC (or whatever Ford calls it) means absolutely nothing. I could take a photo showing my Ram 2500 getting 22 mpg, and it will do it, slowed way down, and of course not towing anything. If you want to be believed, get a scan gauge and show actual results.

Another thing that is done to "enhance" the story and that many people do is to add several thousand pounds to the trailer.

A friend driving his Dad's 2014 EB with max tow, max haul, pulled a brand new 7000# (empty) XLR 29HFS from OH to WA and averaged 6.5 mpg for the trip; with a worst tank average of 4.6 mpg... at which point he took the time to get to a Ford dealer because he thought there was something wrong. The dealer told him 6 to 7 mpg pulling 7000# toyhauler was to be expected. He called other dealers and they told him the same. The salesman had nearly doubled his claim when his Dad bought the truck. Surprise, surprise! By the way due to too much sway, he had to keep his speed 65 mph or below.

His old Quadrasteer GMC, according to him, pulls it better (now loaded) and gets better mpg that the EB got towing it empty and it wasn't around a campfire and he hadn't been drinking.

Thats the truth and I'm sticking to it.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

I averaged 11.0 pulling our 5,500 lb RV trailer on our last trip. That was over 4,000 miles so it was a good read. Never pull over 62 mph though.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
So from the looks of Trip B your getting close to 700 miles on one tank of Fuel? I get roughly 19 MPG avg with city/hwy but best tank I ever did was in the 625 range
I really didn't buy the truck for the eco part, I bought it for the boost part. If I didn't look at forums, I would not care at all. That said, the mileage when not towing in those places is typically at 35-50MPH on what I would consider country roads. The EPA ratings would consider that highway, where I consider the Interstate at 65MPH highway. In a city with lots of poorly timed stoplights, I am sure my MPG is much worse. As others have said there are so many variables in MPG, I don't think you can ever compare it from one owner to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
And from Texas your money went to Japan, the country that Toyota is based in.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Showing a picture of the EVIC (or whatever Ford calls it) means absolutely nothing. I could take a photo showing my Ram 2500 getting 22 mpg, and it will do it, slowed way down, and of course not towing anything. If you want to be believed, get a scan gauge and show actual results.
Showing pictures of MPG that I have manually verified are pretty accurate means more than you seem to think. But, I have no fear of technology, I also use a smartphone and GPS. . . but I have manually verified my mileage many times. The screen has never been more than two tenths off. Today's vehicles have amazing tech built in and frankly the Ecoboost wouldn't run as well as it does if it didn't measure fuel intake accurately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I averaged 11.0 pulling our 5,500 lb RV trailer on our last trip. That was over 4,000 miles so it was a good read. Never pull over 62 mph though.
Just wondering if that includes any mileage while not hooked up? That is why I used the pause button. I am sure that in the past, I drove to the store or whatever without resetting the trip. And, I rarely care, but this particular trip was long enough that I made sure I used pause each time.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #113

2 tenths off isn't bad. How fast or slow is the speedo... and how far off is the odometer?

Ever wonder what a diesel can do, mpg wise? Dave has very few aero mods, but uses a block heater so it is already warm and has a grill block and side skirts, I think. He did better later than this post.

>50 mpg w/ 3/4-ton pickup - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #114

Doesn't the Toyota run an old Chev 350 and the Ford Ecoboost a Mazda product.
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
2 tenths off isn't bad. How fast or slow is the speedo... and how far off is the odometer?

Ever wonder what a diesel can do, mpg wise? Dave has very few aero mods, but uses a block heater so it is already warm and has a grill block and side skirts, I think. He did better later than this post.

>50 mpg w/ 3/4-ton pickup - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
I don't know. It is still running the stock wheels/tires so it should be close. How far off is anyone's odometer? If I got that far in the weeds, I would not have time in life to do enjoyable things. My speedometer always matches the inane police radar trailers, so it is close enough for government work.

No I never wonder about diesels, because at this point I have no purpose for one and don't want the added hassles.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rig View Post
Doesn't the Toyota run an old Chev 350 and the Ford Ecoboost a Mazda product.
Hmmm, I couldn't care less about a Toyota or GM (since they dropped Pontiac). I think the Ecoboost is a Ford product and that Ford dropped their affiliation with Mazda a long time ago, but I could be wrong. The point was pretty much that this thread is about Ford F150 fuel economy. Why add Toyota (that appears to get horrible MPG) to the fray.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #117

The Ford Escape is a Mazda product.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #118

I thought the Ford Ego boost was supposed to get this incredible mileage. It doesn't seem much better than most V8's. I just don't see the longevity of a V6 working that hard I also see big bucks when a turbo fails. I have read about them failing prematurely. On the other hand it is probably the same as having a diesel turbo fail.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rig View Post
I thought the Ford Ego boost was supposed to get this incredible mileage. It doesn't seem much better than most V8's. I just don't see the longevity of a V6 working that hard I also see big bucks when a turbo fails. I have read about them failing prematurely. On the other hand it is probably the same as having a diesel turbo fail.
It is a turbo engine. You either get eco or boost. You cannot possibly have both at the same time. However, the V6 isn't working very hard. The only time I ever hit 4,000RPM was on the steepest climb with the trailer and I wanted to go. It generally cruises with the trailer under 2,200RPM.

And true about the turbos (in both cases), but I have only heard of a few engine related failures and most were tuned engines.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #120

I thought there was a class action lawsuit against Ford for bad turbos?

Tags
2014, ecoboost, ford