Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
2019 Leprechaun 319mb

2014 Mini Cooper Countryman toad

My wife and I just bought our RV and wound up selling her Nissan Rogue because it couldn’t be flat towed. We have just picked up a 2014 Mini Cooper S Countryman, low mileage, good condition and from what I can tell a very good Toad.

I also bought a Blue Ox tow package (the baseplate, and light wiring package) for the mini.

I’ve been told that I should put a breaking system on the Mini but am unsure. I know some states require supplemental breaking systems but I think that’s because of additional weight. The Mini has a curb weight of 3100 lbs.

Should I buy the breaking package, is it mandatory (I live in GA), do I really need it? I’m thinking of getting the Patriot breaking system.

Looking for insight and potential experience related responses. Thank you in advance for your help.

Bill
Bill659651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #2

YES! That's 3100 additional pounds your coach is trying to stop. Also I believe Georgia supplemental brake requirement is 3,000 pounds. Finally if you're in an accident because you couldn't stop short enough, your insurance company may not cover you if you did not have the supplemental brake system. Heard many good things about the Patriot system.
JohnMirada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill659651 View Post
{snip}... just picked up a 2014 Mini Cooper S Countryman...{snip}
I trust it is a manual transmission? Our 2012 Countryman S with the Steptronic transmission cannot be flat towed:

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
2019 Leprechaun 319mb

It’s a manual transmission

Yes, our Mini Countryman has a manual 6 speed transmission.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

Why would you even consider NOT using a supplemental system? Having one and using it far outweighs the ramifications of not having one ... liability-wise. Plus, that's just that much less weight your motorhome has tp try and stop.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #6
2019 Leprechaun 319mb

Ok have the Blue Ox, now on to the install

Has anyone had a Blue Ox installed where they have all of the needed components and need them installed? I’m trying to determine what it may cost and how long it should take. By the way, before I’m asked, I have the specific baseplate for my Mini Cooper Countryman, the Blue Ox, the rear light kit for the mini and the patriot supplemental braking system.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
Retired Panpsychist

Bill,

I looked into this when we were contemplating buying a Class A and wanted to tow our old 2004 MCS JCW. Turned out that all the usual places around us did not have experience with MINIs. However, our MINI dealer had done a few and knew what to do. They estimated 3-hours of labor at ~$100/hr.

As it turned out, we went with a hybrid instead of a Class A.

HTH

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill659651 View Post
My wife and I just bought our RV and wound up selling her Nissan Rogue because it couldn’t be flat towed. We have just picked up a 2014 Mini Cooper S Countryman, low mileage, good condition and from what I can tell a very good Toad.

I also bought a Blue Ox tow package (the baseplate, and light wiring package) for the mini.

I’ve been told that I should put a breaking system on the Mini but am unsure. I know some states require supplemental breaking systems but I think that’s because of additional weight. The Mini has a curb weight of 3100 lbs.

Should I buy the breaking package, is it mandatory (I live in GA), do I really need it? I’m thinking of getting the Patriot breaking system.

Looking for insight and potential experience related responses. Thank you in advance for your help.

Bill
Bill, I realize this post is over a year old but I'm interested in how you're making out with towing your 2014 MINI Countryman S. I purchased the same vehicle a month ago with plans to use it as my toad vehicle. I haven't decided on a base plate, tow bar or braking system yet. I am leaning toward mounting the external turn signal and brake lights so I don't have to cut into my electrical system.

Overall, any guidance you can offer from the experiences you've gained would be great to hear.

Thanks
BradDegs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, toad