Old 04-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

2014 Sierra 1500 pulling a HW296

I should be set with my truck to pull a HW296 but any issues folks have with it would be appreciated.
Also would a stabilizer bar or weight distribution system be needed to pull safely?
Thanks!

Old 04-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I really wouldn't pull a TT without a WDH...

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #3

Having just bought a Rockwood 2702 ss (28' trailer, 33' LOA, 5500 lbs) that I pull with a 1500 Silverado I can tell you yes, you need a weight distribution/anti sway hitch. I went with Airlift air bags initially which are great for firming up the suspension but do nothing for sway. The one little friction anti sway bar provided by the dealer helps but is not the solution. I am looking at the Equalizer hitch for sway control, it doesn't appear to me it would be that helpful at weight distribution but I could be wrong. Do some research, great info on this forum.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #4

I pulled my HW276 with a 2014 nissan pathfinder and it was just fine. I know your HW296 is the bigger 2 axle but with a full size truck i wouldnt think you'd new it.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #5

Need it. Damn auto correct
Old 04-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

I pull a 35 foot Forest River Wildwood with a Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 ltr Hemi V8...I use a stabilizer system and the sway control bar...definitely recommend both.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #7

I bought a Prime Time 30 footer and the dealer suggested an Equalizer hitch. I wish I had that hitch for all the other TT (3). When properly adjusted the weight distribution was right on the money. Did away with that friction "whatuch-a- ma-call it", it did not seem to work too well anyway.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Having just bought a Rockwood 2702 ss (28' trailer, 33' LOA, 5500 lbs) that I pull with a 1500 Silverado I can tell you yes, you need a weight distribution/anti sway hitch. I went with Airlift air bags initially which are great for firming up the suspension but do nothing for sway. The one little friction anti sway bar provided by the dealer helps but is not the solution. I am looking at the Equalizer hitch for sway control, it doesn't appear to me it would be that helpful at weight distribution but I could be wrong. Do some research, great info on this forum.
Although I have a smaller and lighter trailer (A122, 17ft, 2800 lbs as towed), I am towing with a soft suspension minivan equipped with an Equalizer 600/6000. Test drive before installation of the Equalizer gave a very uncomfortable porpoising of both minivan and camper. Dealer installed Equalizer and ride and handling of the minivan was restored very, very close to normal. I was very happy.

I was even happier this past weekend. Traveled from home in Colorado Springs to Lincoln, Nebraska (540 miles each way) for weekend with son. Even in 30 MPH cross-winds and blowing snow along I-80, the rig was solid enough for wife to drive comfortably and safely at 65 MPH (she has never driven while towing before). Gas mileage took a dive because of the wind and cold, but stability in the cross-winds was far better than the trucks or high-profile cars we passed.

Takes less than 5 minutes extra to hook up/unhook. Put the tongue on hitch, crank tongue up, insert bars and place on L-brackets. Retract tongue jack. Done, now hook up safety chains, electric, and break-away. Remove and stow chocks. Ready to go.

There is an audible groan during low speed turns as the bars slip in the L-brackets. I don't mind, tells me everything is working.

WDH/anti-sway - don't tow without it (at least for the vehicles I own).

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
Old 04-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant

the OP is talking about a popup.

your truck's owners manual should have a tongue weight that will require a WDH.
most popups don't need a WDH, if towed by a 1/2 truck.

i think all you need is a anti sway bar.

but you've given us no specs on the truck or trailer.
is it a v-6 or v-8? does it have the factory tow package? what is the truck's payload capacity? what's the trailer's tongue weight?

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, 500, sierra