Old 10-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
It's dot law.

If I am directed into a weigh station, and am over my gvwr. It's a ticket.
I also cannot leave until I am under.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK

Can you find and post up the "DOT law" for me? I just have NEVER seen a "law" stating that it is illegal to exceed your GVWR. And there are two different scenarios going on here. If you get in a wreck and kill someone, sure, I can see them throwing the book at you for negligence. But would that driver get an overweight ticket? Would the fine vary from the amount overweight? How much is overweight? Most DOT scales aren't exactly accurate. They are weighing trucks in the thousands of pounds over, not hundreds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #102

I think the Diesel Vs Gas debat will always be up for debat. The eco boost is a beast for a 1/2 ton truck. If they are towing a 5ER with that rig is must be a hell of a towing rig. But it is MAXED out towing rig. Then you drive at high speeds maxed out that's when thing happens in a hurry. I think the daily driver is the reason you see so many 1/2 tons towing these large trailers. It's a choice between better towing safty or a better daily driver. I'm not sure the new trucks the daily driver is that much differt. I do think the are all are over priced. It's a choice !!

Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
Can you find and post up the "DOT law" for me? I just have NEVER seen a "law" stating that it is illegal to exceed your GVWR. And there are two different scenarios going on here. If you get in a wreck and kill someone, sure, I can see them throwing the book at you for negligence. But would that driver get an overweight ticket? Would the fine vary from the amount overweight? How much is overweight? Most DOT scales aren't exactly accurate. They are weighing trucks in the thousands of pounds over, not hundreds.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...rms/MV-70S.pdf
All I can find is weight class- most fines are local police pulling over 1/2 ton to 1 ton to generate $$$.

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...rms/MV-70S.pdf
All I can find is weight class- most fines are local police pulling over 1/2 ton to 1 ton to generate $$$.

Am I missing something? The link sent me to a form showing what it costs to register your pickup. Still no law. I guess I'll keep waiting......

Nights camped 2015....23
Old 10-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #105

Part III number 8 at the bottom of the page under FAQ.

8. Overloaded Recreational Vehicle (RV).
The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.

Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--Trailers and Heavy Trucks
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:58 PM   #106

2015 F150 Platinum Ecoboost- great tow vehicle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post

The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.

Once again, that is a requirement that is set in place for the manufacturer. I do not see where it states that it is against the law for me to overload my vehicle.

Nights camped 2015....23
Old 10-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #107

Quote:
Once again, that is a requirement that is set in place for the manufacturer. I do not see where it states that it is against the law for me to overload my vehicle.

What is the consumer if not you? This is the FAQ section not the complete law.

The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle.

You want to read the entire reg be my guest since page on up pages on the subject. I ended up at the library to read it.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #108

Quote:
Am I missing something? The link sent me to a form showing what it costs to register your pickup. Still no law. I guess I'll keep waiting......

Nope, I cannot find anything but 26,0001 or higher

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #109

Quote:

Nice post! Good to know the government can not help someone that puts together a unsafe combination.

no such rules in Canada I have ever found other than max 23,500 combined TV and 5th wheel weight. You can get a Dodge that tows 31,000 lbs, but you can not tow anything without a CDL and commercial plates and annual inspections.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #110

Quote:
What is the consumer if not you? This is the FAQ section not the complete law.

The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle.

You want to read the entire reg be my guest since page on up pages on the subject. I ended up at the library to read it.

Oh, I'm sorry, i didn't (and still don't) see where it states that it is against the law for the consumer to exceed GVWR. It just said that must not be exceeded. Or what? If I exceed it, what happens? All violations have a code used. Something like a CFR or ORS #. What is the actual law? What is the penalty? If there is a law, there has to be something out there stating the exact law. Not some sentence at the end of a paragraph.

Nights camped 2015....23

Tags
ecoboost, f150, tow vehicle