Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #111
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, i didn't (and still don't) see where it states that it is against the law for the consumer to exceed GVWR. It just said that must not be exceeded. Or what? If I exceed it, what happens? All violations have a code used. Something like a CFR or ORS #. What is the actual law? What is the penalty? If there is a law, there has to be something out there stating the exact law. Not some sentence at the end of a paragraph.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is the FAQ and if you want to dig though pages of regs be my guest. I'm not going spend hours reading and pointing in the right direction. Do you really believe that two office (NHTSA and Office of Vehicle Safety) didn't think of over weights vehicles.
__________________

__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #112
Site Team
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, i didn't (and still don't) see where it states that it is against the law for the consumer to exceed GVWR. It just said that must not be exceeded. Or what? If I exceed it, what happens? All violations have a code used. Something like a CFR or ORS #. What is the actual law? What is the penalty? If there is a law, there has to be something out there stating the exact law. Not some sentence at the end of a paragraph.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A civil court only needs to show negligence . . . . .
__________________

__________________
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #113
Senior Member
 
deartruc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southern New England
Posts: 818
Mr. Swine, what I read from your post was this, "There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.". So, no law against going over the gvwr for consumers, commercial would be different. I haven't seen any reports where an RV was weighed after an incident. Anyone here been pulled into a weigh station with their RV? Lastly, knowing you have gone over what the manufacturer has stated as gvwr is just as careless as, I don't know, not having your kids wear seatbelts. So, hopefully, we are all conscious and make best efforts, to try to be road safe and considerate.

(PS. so sorry this really got off topic)
__________________
2008 Dodge Durango
2015 Roo 23 ikss
deartruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #114
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
Philadelphia Recreational Vehicle (RV) Accident Attorney
"Yet, the number one cause of an RV accident in the United States, is an overloaded rig. "
Maybe someone should ask this guy....
Philadelphia Recreational Vehicle (RV) Accident Lawyer



Here is more about overweight.
Personal Vehicle Towing Liability for RV’ers €” PersonalInjuryClaimsBlawg
__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #115
Senior Member
 
deartruc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southern New England
Posts: 818
A thread without the weight police is like a Thanksgiving without a fight over politics or sexual orientation.
__________________
2008 Dodge Durango
2015 Roo 23 ikss
deartruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #116
Senior Member
 
Tonkatoy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North Plains, OR
Posts: 252
I went ahead and called the Woodburn Oregon Port of Entry. He said there is NO law stating that it is illegal to exceed GVWR. He said that the GVWR is a safety rating that the manufacturer has set up and has NOTHING to do with the laws of the road. He also told me that if I was running commercial they still wouldn't even care about those numbers. They have there own weight limits for pickups running commercial.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax EFI Live and other supporting mods.
2015 Wildcat Maxx T26BHS


Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #117
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
I went ahead and called the Woodburn Oregon Port of Entry. He said there is NO law stating that it is illegal to exceed GVWR. He said that the GVWR is a safety rating that the manufacturer has set up and has NOTHING to do with the laws of the road. He also told me that if I was running commercial they still wouldn't even care about those numbers. They have there own weight limits for pickups running commercial.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That good news. Now I can go by my Chevy Colorado and New Horizon 5er with 22,780 lbs dry weight 5200 lbs of cargo and loader up and head out down the road. Never mind those sparks coming from my rear bumper that soon stop in first 1000 miles. BUT I'M PERFECTLY LEGAL AND NO ONE CAN DO ANYTHING.
__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #118
Senior Member
 
Tonkatoy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North Plains, OR
Posts: 252
Lol! Did I strike a nerve? I really don't think I'm asking for much. Just a written law stating that it is illegal to exceed your GVWR. I'm guessing that since you went on the defense that you can't find anything to prove me wrong. That's ok though, I hope you don't lose sleep over it, I know I won't.

And for the record, I am well within my GVWR and I think everybody should be to stay safe.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax EFI Live and other supporting mods.
2015 Wildcat Maxx T26BHS


Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:12 PM   #119
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
Lol! Did I strike a nerve? I really don't think I'm asking for much. Just a written law stating that it is illegal to exceed your GVWR. I'm guessing that since you went on the defense that you can't find anything to prove me wrong. That's ok though, I hope you don't lose sleep over it, I know I won't.

And for the record, I am well within my GVWR and I think everybody should be to stay safe.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the agency that states you can not run over weight.. NHTSA and Office of Vehicle Safety. Also in the FAQ i linked to. I'm not going to library of congress and look it for you.

Just showing how silly your statement is that you can tow anything you want and any weight you want on public streets.

I can't believe that you believe the above example is legal....

In my state you have to operate a motor vehicle with manufacture specs. You can't put 10 seat belts in Corvette and put 10 people and head the street when the manufacture specs says two passengers. I don't know about where you live. That is my 14 year grandson drivers manual.
__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #120
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
This is the agency that states you can not run over weight.. NHTSA and Office of Vehicle Safety. Also in the FAQ i linked to. I'm not going to library of congress and look it for you.

Just showing how silly your statement is that you can tow anything you want and any weight you want on public streets.

I can't believe that you believe the above example is legal....

In my state you have to operate a motor vehicle with manufacture specs. You can't put 10 seat belts in Corvette and put 10 people and head the street when the manufacture specs says two passengers. I don't know about where you live.

I never heard him say you can tow anything you want and nobody can do anything about it, you want to go towards unrealistic scenarios now just to talk it seems like, this has gotten too heated for no reason. Just sayin


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ecoboost, f150, tow vehicle

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.