Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I've never been a fan of adaptive cruise.

A good friend of mine is the shop foreman at the local Mercedes dealer.

He had an s class Amg out for a drive.
Using the adaptive cruise, he set the cruise to 110kph.
He got behind a dump truck that was doing 70, no problem... The car slowed down... He changed lanes, and when the car saw a clear path, it resumed its speed.

Now the resume was quite fast. The twin turbo, V12 has some ponies.

The roads were slick, and he went fishtailing down the highway.

Scared the pants off him.

I do find, most cars " resume" speed, could be a lot slower.

2015 RAM 3500 CCSB CUMMINS
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Using regular cruise control on slick roads is not smart, yet alone adaptive cruise. I would not use this example as a bad adaptive cruise control experience. I personally like it for traffic and construction zones. I think the most people having problems with newer technology tend to be the ones that rely on it 100%. They are not meant to take that task away from the driver but to help with paying attention. At least that's how I approach it. The one I don't like is anti-lock brakes. I can slow a car faster in snow if it doesn't have anti-lock brakes. A trick we used to use on slick downhills was to put the car in neutral (automatic transmission) so the engine wasn't working against your braking.
Too many people look at driving as an inconvenience and tend to get distracted easily. I agree that new technology can help exacerbate the situation for those that don't take driving seriously.
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecoboost, f150, tow vehicle