Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
It's dot law.

If I am directed into a weigh station, and am over my gvwr. It's a ticket.
I also cannot leave until I am under.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK

Can you find and post up the "DOT law" for me? I just have NEVER seen a "law" stating that it is illegal to exceed your GVWR. And there are two different scenarios going on here. If you get in a wreck and kill someone, sure, I can see them throwing the book at you for negligence. But would that driver get an overweight ticket? Would the fine vary from the amount overweight? How much is overweight? Most DOT scales aren't exactly accurate. They are weighing trucks in the thousands of pounds over, not hundreds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #102

I think the Diesel Vs Gas debat will always be up for debat. The eco boost is a beast for a 1/2 ton truck. If they are towing a 5ER with that rig is must be a hell of a towing rig. But it is MAXED out towing rig. Then you drive at high speeds maxed out that's when thing happens in a hurry. I think the daily driver is the reason you see so many 1/2 tons towing these large trailers. It's a choice between better towing safty or a better daily driver. I'm not sure the new trucks the daily driver is that much differt. I do think the are all are over priced. It's a choice !!
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
Can you find and post up the "DOT law" for me? I just have NEVER seen a "law" stating that it is illegal to exceed your GVWR. And there are two different scenarios going on here. If you get in a wreck and kill someone, sure, I can see them throwing the book at you for negligence. But would that driver get an overweight ticket? Would the fine vary from the amount overweight? How much is overweight? Most DOT scales aren't exactly accurate. They are weighing trucks in the thousands of pounds over, not hundreds.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...rms/MV-70S.pdf
All I can find is weight class- most fines are local police pulling over 1/2 ton to 1 ton to generate $$$.

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:36 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...rms/MV-70S.pdf
All I can find is weight class- most fines are local police pulling over 1/2 ton to 1 ton to generate $$$.

Am I missing something? The link sent me to a form showing what it costs to register your pickup. Still no law. I guess I'll keep waiting......

Nights camped 2015....23
Old 10-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #105

Part III number 8 at the bottom of the page under FAQ.

8. Overloaded Recreational Vehicle (RV).
The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.

Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--Trailers and Heavy Trucks
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #106

2015 F150 Platinum Ecoboost- great tow vehicle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post

The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.

Once again, that is a requirement that is set in place for the manufacturer. I do not see where it states that it is against the law for me to overload my vehicle.

Nights camped 2015....23
Old 10-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #107

Quote:
Once again, that is a requirement that is set in place for the manufacturer. I do not see where it states that it is against the law for me to overload my vehicle.

What is the consumer if not you? This is the FAQ section not the complete law.

The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle.

You want to read the entire reg be my guest since page on up pages on the subject. I ended up at the library to read it.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #108

Quote:
Am I missing something? The link sent me to a form showing what it costs to register your pickup. Still no law. I guess I'll keep waiting......

Nope, I cannot find anything but 26,0001 or higher

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #109

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:

Nice post! Good to know the government can not help someone that puts together a unsafe combination.

no such rules in Canada I have ever found other than max 23,500 combined TV and 5th wheel weight. You can get a Dodge that tows 31,000 lbs, but you can not tow anything without a CDL and commercial plates and annual inspections.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #110

Quote:
What is the consumer if not you? This is the FAQ section not the complete law.

The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle.

You want to read the entire reg be my guest since page on up pages on the subject. I ended up at the library to read it.

Oh, I'm sorry, i didn't (and still don't) see where it states that it is against the law for the consumer to exceed GVWR. It just said that must not be exceeded. Or what? If I exceed it, what happens? All violations have a code used. Something like a CFR or ORS #. What is the actual law? What is the penalty? If there is a law, there has to be something out there stating the exact law. Not some sentence at the end of a paragraph.

Nights camped 2015....23
Old 10-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #111

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, i didn't (and still don't) see where it states that it is against the law for the consumer to exceed GVWR. It just said that must not be exceeded. Or what? If I exceed it, what happens? All violations have a code used. Something like a CFR or ORS #. What is the actual law? What is the penalty? If there is a law, there has to be something out there stating the exact law. Not some sentence at the end of a paragraph.

That is the FAQ and if you want to dig though pages of regs be my guest. I'm not going spend hours reading and pointing in the right direction. Do you really believe that two office (NHTSA and Office of Vehicle Safety) didn't think of over weights vehicles.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

A civil court only needs to show negligence . . . . .
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #113

Mr. Swine, what I read from your post was this, "There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use.". So, no law against going over the gvwr for consumers, commercial would be different. I haven't seen any reports where an RV was weighed after an incident. Anyone here been pulled into a weigh station with their RV? Lastly, knowing you have gone over what the manufacturer has stated as gvwr is just as careless as, I don't know, not having your kids wear seatbelts. So, hopefully, we are all conscious and make best efforts, to try to be road safe and considerate.

(PS. so sorry this really got off topic)
Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #114

Philadelphia Recreational Vehicle (RV) Accident Attorney
"Yet, the number one cause of an RV accident in the United States, is an overloaded rig. "
Maybe someone should ask this guy....
Philadelphia Recreational Vehicle (RV) Accident Lawyer

Here is more about overweight.
Personal Vehicle Towing Liability for RV’ers — PersonalInjuryClaimsBlawg
Old 10-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #115

A thread without the weight police is like a Thanksgiving without a fight over politics or sexual orientation.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #116

I went ahead and called the Woodburn Oregon Port of Entry. He said there is NO law stating that it is illegal to exceed GVWR. He said that the GVWR is a safety rating that the manufacturer has set up and has NOTHING to do with the laws of the road. He also told me that if I was running commercial they still wouldn't even care about those numbers. They have there own weight limits for pickups running commercial.

Nights camped 2015....23
Old 10-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #117

Quote:
I went ahead and called the Woodburn Oregon Port of Entry. He said there is NO law stating that it is illegal to exceed GVWR. He said that the GVWR is a safety rating that the manufacturer has set up and has NOTHING to do with the laws of the road. He also told me that if I was running commercial they still wouldn't even care about those numbers. They have there own weight limits for pickups running commercial.

That good news. Now I can go by my Chevy Colorado and New Horizon 5er with 22,780 lbs dry weight 5200 lbs of cargo and loader up and head out down the road. Never mind those sparks coming from my rear bumper that soon stop in first 1000 miles. BUT I'M PERFECTLY LEGAL AND NO ONE CAN DO ANYTHING.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #118

Lol! Did I strike a nerve? I really don't think I'm asking for much. Just a written law stating that it is illegal to exceed your GVWR. I'm guessing that since you went on the defense that you can't find anything to prove me wrong. That's ok though, I hope you don't lose sleep over it, I know I won't.

And for the record, I am well within my GVWR and I think everybody should be to stay safe.

Nights camped 2015....23
Old 10-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #119

Quote:
Lol! Did I strike a nerve? I really don't think I'm asking for much. Just a written law stating that it is illegal to exceed your GVWR. I'm guessing that since you went on the defense that you can't find anything to prove me wrong. That's ok though, I hope you don't lose sleep over it, I know I won't.

And for the record, I am well within my GVWR and I think everybody should be to stay safe.

This is the agency that states you can not run over weight.. NHTSA and Office of Vehicle Safety. Also in the FAQ i linked to. I'm not going to library of congress and look it for you.

Just showing how silly your statement is that you can tow anything you want and any weight you want on public streets.

I can't believe that you believe the above example is legal....

In my state you have to operate a motor vehicle with manufacture specs. You can't put 10 seat belts in Corvette and put 10 people and head the street when the manufacture specs says two passengers. I don't know about where you live. That is my 14 year grandson drivers manual.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:22 PM   #120

Quote:
This is the agency that states you can not run over weight.. NHTSA and Office of Vehicle Safety. Also in the FAQ i linked to. I'm not going to library of congress and look it for you.

Just showing how silly your statement is that you can tow anything you want and any weight you want on public streets.

I can't believe that you believe the above example is legal....

In my state you have to operate a motor vehicle with manufacture specs. You can't put 10 seat belts in Corvette and put 10 people and head the street when the manufacture specs says two passengers. I don't know about where you live.

I never heard him say you can tow anything you want and nobody can do anything about it, you want to go towards unrealistic scenarios now just to talk it seems like, this has gotten too heated for no reason. Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
jerky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecoboost, f150, tow vehicle