Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I want all of the technology so it will have to be the Platinum or the King Ranch. I having been driving Fords (cars) for a few years and my current vehicles have all of the options. I strongly believe in adaptive cruise and camera systems. I think they are a must for anyone who drives any distance. So far I have found everything I want in the truck except the towing mirrors. They are a rare option on the F150, but common on the Super Duty. We only tow about 10 times a year and this will be my wife's vehicle for which she only drives about 5k miles a year. I may end up settling for everything I am wanting minus the tow mirrors. My wife says the tow mirrors are ugly anyway. Will keep everyone posted.

gary
I appreciate wanting a real nice truck with the technology. Do yourself a favor and just check the yellow payload decal on the driver door jamb. You will likely find the payload capacity is around 1600 lbs. Then do the math for your trailer. Just trying to keep ya safe.
__________________

__________________
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #22
chicagoslick
 
chicagoslick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I appreciate wanting a real nice truck with the technology. Do yourself a favor and just check the yellow payload decal on the driver door jamb. You will likely find the payload capacity is around 1600 lbs. Then do the math for your trailer. Just trying to keep ya safe.
So what do you know that you are alluding to? Are you saying that the truck I am looking at will not be capable of towing a family of 4 and my 27RLWS? Of course I want to be safe...

Thanks,
__________________

__________________

Gary, Tonia, Baile, Summer and Otis our Boston T.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Pkg
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch FX4 Max Tow 3.5EB, 3.55
Equalizer 4 WDH, 1,200 / 12,000Lbs
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick View Post
So what do you know that you are alluding to? Are you saying that the truck I am looking at will not be capable of towing a family of 4 and my 27RLWS? Of course I want to be safe...

Thanks,
Sorry If I come off as a little critical. Many TT owners, myself included, focus too much on the towing capacity of a truck. While the EB has very impressive towing capacity, that is rarely the specification that helps determine the size trailer a truck can tow.

In may instances it is the payload capacity that owners bump up against. So I like to look at the numbers with payload capacity in mind. Lets walk through this.

For doing the math you should use the gross weight capacity of the TT. Assuming you have a 2015 27RLWS, the mfr specs say that trailer has a weight limit of 7,714 lbs. When a trailer is setup properly with a good WD hitch, the tongue weight is about 12% of trailer weight, which in your case is 925 lbs. That tongue weight has to come off of payload capacity of the truck which I will guess to be about 1600 lbs in King Ranch config. Also, a good WDH weighs about 100 lbs - that is also deducted from the payload. So lets see where we are so far.

1600 payload cap minus 925 tongue and 100 hitch leaves you 575 lbs of payload capacity. This 575 lbs will be used up by the weight of your passengers (Ford includes 150 lb driver and full tank in the specs), and any cargo in the bed (bikes, firewood, etc). So you can see it is real easy to exceed payload capacity in a hurry.

If at all possible find a truck in whatever trim level that has the max tow pkg. Also upgrade to LT tires, which doesn't change the official payload rating, but will give a more stable ride.

Again just trying to help. Hope the math makes sense.
__________________
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #24
chicagoslick
 
chicagoslick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Sorry If I come off as a little critical. Many TT owners, myself included, focus too much on the towing capacity of a truck. While the EB has very impressive towing capacity, that is rarely the specification that helps determine the size trailer a truck can tow.

In may instances it is the payload capacity that owners bump up against. So I like to look at the numbers with payload capacity in mind. Lets walk through this.

For doing the math you should use the gross weight capacity of the TT. Assuming you have a 2015 27RLWS, the mfr specs say that trailer has a weight limit of 7,714 lbs. When a trailer is setup properly with a good WD hitch, the tongue weight is about 12% of trailer weight, which in your case is 925 lbs. That tongue weight has to come off of payload capacity of the truck which I will guess to be about 1600 lbs in King Ranch config. Also, a good WDH weighs about 100 lbs - that is also deducted from the payload. So lets see where we are so far.

1600 payload cap minus 925 tongue and 100 hitch leaves you 575 lbs of payload capacity. This 575 lbs will be used up by the weight of your passengers (Ford includes 150 lb driver and full tank in the specs), and any cargo in the bed (bikes, firewood, etc). So you can see it is real easy to exceed payload capacity in a hurry.

If at all possible find a truck in whatever trim level that has the max tow pkg. Also upgrade to LT tires, which doesn't change the official payload rating, but will give a more stable ride.

Again just trying to help. Hope the math makes sense.

Lee and Anne,

Great information and yes I did take all of that into consideration. I thought you might throw something at me that was an insider unknown. I have taken the time in the past to weigh everything numerous times to be sure I am not overloaded. Please see my numbers below as provided by cat scales from truck stop 30 miles outside of Indianapolis.

Loaded trailer minus filled holding tanks (clothes, food, toiletries, decorations, gear, etc) = 6758lbs

Tongue weight = 753 lbs

Family of 4 = ~585 lbs (120 lbs ea for wife and kids and 225 lbs for me)

Total loaded weight = 1338 lbs

I will look at the door sticker and see what the numbers say (could be anywhere from 1600 to 2200 based on what I have researched)

The numbers above are real world numbers and not speculative numbers. I still have plenty of capacity for both loading and towing. I am fine working with max load as it has never bothered me through the years of towing...

Gary
__________________

Gary, Tonia, Baile, Summer and Otis our Boston T.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Pkg
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch FX4 Max Tow 3.5EB, 3.55
Equalizer 4 WDH, 1,200 / 12,000Lbs
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #25
Member
 
drelec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Posts: 69
Side steps

We have a 2010 Ford F-150 XLT HD 8 foot bed. One option I recommend are the bed side steps that retract in and out. The bed walls are so high I cannot reach the bottom of the bed. With these steps you can step up and reach items much easier.
__________________
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #26
chicagoslick
 
chicagoslick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelec View Post
We have a 2010 Ford F-150 XLT HD 8 foot bed. One option I recommend are the bed side steps that retract in and out. The bed walls are so high I cannot reach the bottom of the bed. With these steps you can step up and reach items much easier.
I have those on the list of must haves....Thanks for the feedback....
__________________

Gary, Tonia, Baile, Summer and Otis our Boston T.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Pkg
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch FX4 Max Tow 3.5EB, 3.55
Equalizer 4 WDH, 1,200 / 12,000Lbs
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick View Post
Total loaded weight = 1338 lbs
Did you weigh your truck or just calculate people + tongue weight? Is the hitch weight in there?

If you're looking at 2000 lb payload, seems fine. If it it closer to the 1600 number you are getting close enough that I would suggest a truck weight via CAT scale when loaded up with family to go camping. Tools, kids stuff, etc add up when you' only looking at a 2-300 lb margin of error. You may get 150lb of your 225 (weight of self) back as it looked like it included a 150 lb driver. That helps and covers the hitch if you forgot to include that.

Any plans to go bigger/heavier with the TT at a point in the future where you would expect to still own the truck?

Lastly your scaled Tongue Weight is a little low at 11.1%. You may find a more stable/safer tow if you can shift 60 lbs to the front to increase tongue weight to 12%. This will, of course, take 60 lbs away from your payload.
__________________
2012 Ford F-150 3.7L V6 -- SOLD
2007 Rockwood 1640 LTD Popup -- SOLD
2004 Bantam 19 HTT -- SOLD
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick View Post
Max Trailer Tow Package is on the one I am looking at. I read somewhere that the towing capacity was 10,700 but I cannot find where that was stated. I would have thought there would be more towing capacity. There are so many combinations that it is hard to decipher what exactly is the best layout...

gary
Hi Gary,

Yep, because of the Aluminium body towing capacity has actually gone up to 11,300!

IF you are going to get the F150 Ecoboost, get every towing option ford offers! It will be a factory build but it will be a mid-size towing beast!

Having said that....

Do you forsee getting a larger TT or moving up to a 5er? If so, save yourself the pain 3-5 years down the road and jsut get the 3/4 or 1T truck now.

I wish I had done that, because even the Ecobeast can't pull the retirement casa (Cardinal 3450) so I am trading in my F150 on a 1T tomorrow
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #29
chicagoslick
 
chicagoslick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 198
I weighed everything. I originally came out a little heavier at the tongue due to heavily loading the front compartment. After taking a dozen trips I realized I did not need every item I was bringing (power drill, spare bottle jack, shovel, chain, etc) I was loading up way too many things for contingency planning. I was able to cut ~140 pounds off and that coupled with storing bottled water further back in the trailer moved my weight rearward. I actually noticed improved towing by doing this. My Denali was a little happier getting some of that weight off of the tongue.

With all of this said, I have settled on a truck:

2015 F150 King Ranch
3.5 EB w/ 3.55 locking rear axle
Max Trailer Tow Package
FX4 Off Road Package
36 Gallon fuel tank
Power deployed side steps
Box side steps
Rear deploy step and handle
Wheel well liners
Spray in bed liner
Soft tonneau cover

And all of the technology stuff (Bliss, lane assist, 360 camera, adaptive cruise, park assist, twin panel moonroof, etc / loaded)

The truck has to be brought in from St. Louis so we will not have it until next week, but we are excited. Thanks again for everyone's feedback. I will re-weigh and post back numbers later...

P.S.
We are not planning on buying another trailer for about 5yrs. When we do we will reevaluate what we need then. We are very happy with our luxury home away from home...

gary
__________________

Gary, Tonia, Baile, Summer and Otis our Boston T.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Pkg
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch FX4 Max Tow 3.5EB, 3.55
Equalizer 4 WDH, 1,200 / 12,000Lbs
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #30
chicagoslick
 
chicagoslick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indianapolis Area
Posts: 198
By the way for those wondering, the main reason we are moving away from our Denali is fuel mileage and age of truck. Getting 5-7mpg our last trip out east through the mountains was terrible. Also, realize that we are asking a lot of a 2002 vehicle with 120k miles. I rarely have a vehicle this long, but it has been a good truck. Just time to go. Thought about moving into another SUV, but we really dont need it. The truck will be much more useful...
__________________

__________________

Gary, Tonia, Baile, Summer and Otis our Boston T.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Pkg
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch FX4 Max Tow 3.5EB, 3.55
Equalizer 4 WDH, 1,200 / 12,000Lbs
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
f150, ford

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.