Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Yes, tow/haul on, full exhaust brake on, trans in 2nd, foot on brake all the way down. 2000 to 3000 rpm, no exhaust braking happening until I get up to speed on highway
WOW, something is not right. I have the 68RFE transmission and when towing the 5th wheel with the tow/hall on and E-Brake in auto, the E-brake will follow the down shifts to first before it cuts out. (as long as I have my foot on the brake pedal) It is almost too aggressive. The Tow/Hall mode keeps the rpm's up above 1200 so the E-Brake stays active. I am noticing that the engine brake is not kind to the rear tires. They appear to be wearing twice as fast as the fronts.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
my rpm's was between 2500 and 3000 in 2nd i think and no exhaust brake, yes my disc brakes worked well but I would like to use the exhaust brake.
Exhaust brake will only operate when the RPM is between 1900 to 2400 when in 2nd gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchmore View Post
I have a new 2017 Ram 3500 and I took it back to the dealer twice with only 1,400 miles. My engine brake will work until the trans downshifts then it goes into free wheeling. They checked the brake with the computer, and test drove it and it "work" correctly per conpany spects dropping out at 1200 rpm.

If I am in 6 gear my brake will drop out at about 54 to about 46 mph depending the load I am pulling. After 46 you just freewheel.

BUT-- acording to the owners manual if in the tow haul mode the trans should down shift and not go into "overdrive" freewheeling.

They have contacted the company were told that it is working OK. Today they are contacting the factory Rep to test drive and tell them what is wrong.

The dealer is trying, but they don't know how to proceed. They have checked for error codes but to no avail. A torque converter on the trans that disengages on every down shift makes my truck useless.

I really consider it a safety hazard.
With the Tow/haul switch on, Exhaust brake on.. the transmission will NOT automatically downshift, just because you took your foot off of the accelerator! You must slightly press the brake pedal... just enough to turn on the brake lights, then the transmission will start downshifting thru the gears, and the torque converter will stay locked... or you can use your trailer brake control which also activates the brake lights. So the dealership is correct there is nothing wrong with your truck or the programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
WOW, something is not right. I have the 68RFE transmission and when towing the 5th wheel with the tow/hall on and E-Brake in auto, the E-brake will follow the down shifts to first before it cuts out. (as long as I have my foot on the brake pedal) It is almost too aggressive. The Tow/Hall mode keeps the rpm's up above 1200 so the E-Brake stays active. I am noticing that the engine brake is not kind to the rear tires. They appear to be wearing twice as fast as the fronts.
I agree I think the auto downshift is a little aggressive, I just manually downshift thru the gears!
Engine brakes are a fantastic way to save brakes, I have gone 120,000 miles before I had to finally change all the pads... but you are correct they tend to wear the rear tires down a little more than you should, plus using the exhaust brake for daily driving waste fuel.. due to the fact when you just want to coast a little and the Exhaust brake comes on slows you down too much then you need to speed up to resume speed.

Just so everyone knows please do not use a exhaust brake system in Snow, Ice or mud.... nothing worse when it comes on, the rear tires lose grip on the road and the trailer will start pushing the rear end sideways, and if you are on a curve... you will be pulling leather out of the crack of your arse!!!!
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ZCM View Post
Exhaust brake will only operate when the RPM is between 1900 to 2400 when in 2nd gear.

With the Tow/haul switch on, Exhaust brake on.. the transmission will NOT automatically downshift, just because you took your foot off of the accelerator! You must slightly press the brake pedal... just enough to turn on the brake lights, then the transmission will start downshifting thru the gears, and the torque converter will stay locked... or you can use your trailer brake control which also activates the brake lights. So the dealership is correct there is nothing wrong with your truck or the programming.

I agree I think the auto downshift is a little aggressive, I just manually downshift thru the gears!
Engine brakes are a fantastic way to save brakes, I have gone 120,000 miles before I had to finally change all the pads... but you are correct they tend to wear the rear tires down a little more than you should, plus using the exhaust brake for daily driving waste fuel.. due to the fact when you just want to coast a little and the Exhaust brake comes on slows you down too much then you need to speed up to resume speed.

Just so everyone knows please do not use a exhaust brake system in Snow, Ice or mud.... nothing worse when it comes on, the rear tires lose grip on the road and the trailer will start pushing the rear end sideways, and if you are on a curve... you will be pulling leather out of the crack of your arse!!!!
So that's why my piece-of-c@#p stock Firestone TransForce tires are wearing like that. Thanks for the info!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:25 AM   #24

I'm glad my rear tires are not they only ones wearing fast, I thought I had a problem. :-) What tires do others upgrade too?
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:21 AM   #25

I am waiting to hear what tires can go a true 50000 on these trucks. I don't think they can in a area like the 1 I live in. They use chip-seal and I have never went beyond 25000 on a rear set.
These trucks have torque from 600 to 1400lbs(on a deleted system), which remove rubber quickly on the rear tires.
I have to remember not to punch it when towing a few times I have patched out pulling the 5th wheel.
szabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #26

2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7 Cummins

My first set of Michelin that came on the truck, I got 55,000 out of them, and that is with rotating the tires every 5,000. Since I was seeing wear on the rear tires, and being a Limited Slip rear end, both rear tires wore evenly!
I bet if I did not rotate the tires I would have only gotten 40,000 out of the rears

The second set of tires I stop using the Exhaust brake for daily driving and hauling.... I only used it when I needed to come to a full stop like rest areas, where it is a short exit ramp... going from freeway speeds to 20 mph in a rest area or going down grades, so I got 65,000 out of those! I did less rotating of the tires maybe every 8,000 miles

Now I am on my third set of Michelin's and we see how I do on them!

Replaced the brake pads at 120,000. I have 25,000 on the new pads and when I take it in for service I will see how much I have worn down those, using brakes instead of exhaust brake!!!
So you need to make the decision, replace tires or replace brakes.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #27

Quote:
I have a new 2017 Ram 3500 and I took it back to the dealer twice with only 1,400 miles. My engine brake will work until the trans downshifts then it goes into free wheeling. They checked the brake with the computer, and test drove it and it "work" correctly per conpany spects dropping out at 1200 rpm.

If I am in 6 gear my brake will drop out at about 54 to about 46 mph depending the load I am pulling. After 46 you just freewheel.

BUT-- acording to the owners manual if in the tow haul mode the trans should down shift and not go into "overdrive" freewheeling.

They have contacted the company were told that it is working OK. Today they are contacting the factory Rep to test drive and tell them what is wrong.

The dealer is trying, but they don't know how to proceed. They have checked for error codes but to no avail. A torque converter on the trans that disengages on every down shift makes my truck useless.

N6ZCM
Quote:

N6ZCM

I would like to know where you where you found your information.

I have spent hours reading through my owner's manual and I would like to share the info I have learned and I will reference my information. I would like to know the source you got your information from so we can compare. My pervious Ram the engine brake would stay engaged until about 28 mph, or until the trans would go into free wheeling.

Now onto my 2017 Ram--Caveat, I am referencing the owners manual for a 2017, 3500 Ram.

First, in the first position after activating the switch it places the brake in "full strength" mode. "This mode applies full exhaust braking when the accelerator pedal is released. This is most useful for slowing the vehicle."

Second, "Pushing the exhaust brake switch again will enable the Smart Brake (Auto) feature". "This feature is intended to maintain the vehicle speed present when the accelerator pedal is released. However, when the brakes are applied, full exhaust braking is still enabled to slow the vehicle."

Third, "For optimum braking power, it is recommended to use the exhaust brake while in TOW/HAUL mode."

Please read more complete info directly below from my owners manual on Diesel Exhaust Brake

Fourth, now onto the Overdrive/freelwheeling Function--- "Overdrive Operation
The automatic transmission includes an electronically controlled
Overdrive to the tow haul (fifth and sixth gears). The transmission will automatically shift into Overdrive if the following conditions are present:"

"The TOW/HAUL switch has not been activated."

Please read info from my owners manual below-- When To Use TOW/HAUL Mode

Fifth, Now on to "When To Use TOW/HAUL Mode"
"When operating in TOW/HAUL mode,transmission upshifts are delayed, and the transmissionwill automatically downshift (for engine braking) when the throttle is closed and/or during steady braking maneuvers."

Please read info from my owners manual below-- Overdrive Operation

Therefor, from my research I believe if the dealer is correct the owner manual must be incorrect.

Do you concur with my assessment?

I hope this will help other people understand how the new
2017 Ram should work per owners manual.

DIESEL EXHAUST BRAKE (ENGINE BRAKING)
The Exhaust Brake switch is located on the switch bank below the HVAC controls
located in the center stack. This switch is used to enable exhaust brake modes.
Pushing the exhaust brake switch once will enable full strength exhaust brake mode,indicated by a yellow icon in the instrument cluster. This mode applies full exhaust braking when the accelerator pedal is released. This is most useful for slowing the vehicle.

Pushing the exhaust brake switch again will enable the Smart Brake (Auto) feature,indicated by a green icon in the instrument cluster. This feature is intended to maintain the vehicle speed present when the accelerator pedal is released. However, when the brakes are applied, full exhaust braking is still enabled to slow the vehicle.A third push of the brake switch will turn the exhaust brake off, and will extinguish the exhaust brake icon in the instrument cluster.
NOTE:
In general, higher engine speeds result in higher exhaust braking force. For optimum braking power, it is recommended to use the exhaust brake while in TOW/HAUL mode.

Overdrive Operation
Overdrive (fifth and sixth gears). The transmissionwill automatically shift into Overdrive if the followingconditions are present:

• The gear selector is in the DRIVE position.
• The transmission fluid has reached an adequate temperature.
• The engine coolant has reached an adequate temperature.
• Vehicle speed is sufficiently high.
The TOW/HAUL switch has not been activated.
• The driver is not heavily pressing the accelerator.

When To Use TOW/HAUL Mode
When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a
heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs,
push the TOW/HAUL switch to activate TOW/HAUL
mode. This will improve performance and reduce the
potential for transmission overheating or failure due to
excessive shifting. When operating in TOW/HAUL mode,
transmission upshifts are delayed, and the transmission
will automatically downshift (for engine braking)
when the
throttle is closed and/or during steady braking maneuvers.

The “TOW/HAUL Indicator Light” will illuminate in the
instrument cluster to indicate that TOW/HAUL mode has
been activated. Pushing the switch a second time restores
normal operation. Normal operation is always the default
at engine start-up. If TOW/HAUL mode is desired, the
switch must be pushed each time the engine is started.
grouchmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #28

Quote:

N6ZCM
Quote:

N6ZCM

I have spent hours reading through my owner's manual and I would like to share the info I have learned and I will reference my information. I would like to know the source you got your information from so we can compare. My pervious Ram the engine brake would stay engaged until about 28 mph, or until the trans would go into free wheeling.

Now onto my 2017 Ram--Caveat, I am referencing the owners manual for a 2017, 3500 Ram.

First, Diesel Exhaust Brake-in the first position after activating the switch it places the brake in "full strength" mode. "This mode applies full exhaust braking when the accelerator pedal is released. This is most useful for slowing the vehicle."

Second, "Pushing the exhaust brake switch again will enable the Smart Brake (Auto) feature". "This feature is intended to maintain the vehicle speed present when the accelerator pedal is released. However, when the brakes are applied, full exhaust braking is still enabled to slow the vehicle."

Third, "For optimum braking power, it is recommended to use the exhaust brake while in TOW/HAUL mode."

Please read more complete info directly below from my owners manual on Diesel Exhaust Brake

Fourth, now onto the Overdrive/freelwheeling Function--- "Overdrive Operation
Overdrive to the tow haul (fifth and sixth gears). The transmission will automatically shift into Overdrive if the following conditions are present:"

"The TOW/HAUL switch has not been activated."

"When operating in TOW/HAUL mode,transmission upshifts are delayed, and the transmissionwill automatically downshift (for engine braking) when the throttle is closed and/or during steady braking maneuvers."

Please read info from my owners manual below-- Overdrive Operation

Therefor, from my research I believe if the dealer is correct the owner manual must be incorrect.
Do you concur with my assessment?

DIESEL EXHAUST BRAKE (ENGINE BRAKING)
The Exhaust Brake switch is located on the switch bank below the HVAC controls
located in the center stack. This switch is used to enable exhaust brake modes.
Pushing the exhaust brake switch once will enable full strength exhaust brake mode,indicated by a yellow icon in the instrument cluster. This mode applies full exhaust braking when the accelerator pedal is released. This is most useful for slowing the vehicle.

Pushing the exhaust brake switch again will enable the Smart Brake (Auto) feature,indicated by a green icon in the instrument cluster. This feature is intended to maintain the vehicle speed present when the accelerator pedal is released. However, when the brakes are applied, full exhaust braking is still enabled to slow the vehicle.A third push of the brake switch will turn the exhaust brake off, and will extinguish the exhaust brake icon in the instrument cluster.
NOTE:
In general, higher engine speeds result in higher exhaust braking force. For optimum braking power, it is recommended to use the exhaust brake while in TOW/HAUL mode.

Overdrive Operation
Overdrive (fifth and sixth gears). The transmissionwill automatically shift into Overdrive if the followingconditions are present:

• The gear selector is in the DRIVE position.
• The transmission fluid has reached an adequate temperature.
• The engine coolant has reached an adequate temperature.
• Vehicle speed is sufficiently high.
The TOW/HAUL switch has not been activated.
• The driver is not heavily pressing the accelerator.

When To Use TOW/HAUL Mode
When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a
heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs,
push the TOW/HAUL switch to activate TOW/HAUL
mode. This will improve performance and reduce the
potential for transmission overheating or failure due to
excessive shifting. When operating in TOW/HAUL mode,
transmission upshifts are delayed, and the transmission
will automatically downshift (for engine braking)
when the
throttle is closed and/or during steady braking maneuvers.

The “TOW/HAUL Indicator Light” will illuminate in the
instrument cluster to indicate that TOW/HAUL mode has
been activated. Pushing the switch a second time restores
normal operation. Normal operation is always the default
at engine start-up. If TOW/HAUL mode is desired, the
switch must be pushed each time the engine is started.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #29

2015 RAM Cummins Exhaust Brake

Tow haul on.
Brake in auto.
Very light brake pressure will engage the e brake and down shift.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Tow haul on.
Brake in auto.
Yes you are correct in the auto mode. I drive in the full mode, Tow haul on and e brake will apply until trans shifts into free wheeling then you have nothing.

The way I always have driven is if I want to slow up and not engage the brake I just back off the throttle just above an idle and it will keep the brake from applying.

Note--I use the e brake only on dry pavement.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Yes you are correct in the auto mode. I drive in the full mode, Tow haul on and e brake will apply until trans shifts into free wheeling then you have nothing.

The way I always have driven is if I want to slow up and not engage the brake I just back off the throttle just above an idle and it will keep the brake from applying.

My 2014 3500 Dually the e-brake in auto comes on when you apply brake or after 5 seconds of no throttle and works fine even when down-shifting to slow down or maintain set speed going down steep hills. FYI - I am pulling a 16,000 pound fifth wheel so I don't think it's too aggressive in my case.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:04 PM   #32

When pulling the Cedar Creek with my Silverado 3500, I turn the tow/haul on and engine brake on and set the cruise at the speed I want to go down the mountain and the truck will stay at the speed I set the cruise at and I stay off the brakes. If I want to go slower I just decrease the speed on the cruise control to slow my truck down. Probably not right but it works for me
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:39 AM   #33

Quote:

N6ZCM

LOL... don't tell my wife BUT i never read the manual... The first day I took deliver I tested the Tow/Haul with the Exhaust brake on and was very pleased to see that the transmission downshifted thru the gears when barely touching the brakes(brake lights on), then after installing the trailer brake controller... took the trailer out to test the controller, had it in Tow/haul, exhaust brake on... when I activated the trailer brake it started downshifting(brake lights ON) yes my engine brake will stay engaged down to roughly 28 mph as it downshifts thru the gears... If I manually go thru the gears when I hit second gear and the engine RPM is up around 2400 it will engage till it hits 1900 rpm which is around 15 mph,... BUT when it hit second gear and engage brake on, it damn near threw me thru the windshield and the trailer tried to climb in the back window!!!
So I don't do that anymore.

"When operating in TOW/HAUL mode,transmission upshifts are delayed, and the transmission will automatically downshift (for engine braking) when the throttle is closed and/or during steady braking maneuvers."

I think the mistake is the OR in and/or

"When operating in TOW/HAUL mode,transmission upshifts are delayed, and the transmission will automatically downshift (for engine braking) when the throttle is closed and during steady braking maneuvers."

I have a 2007.5 6.7 so I do not have the Auto mode (green LED)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Tow haul on.
Brake in auto.
This is the configuration I use when towing and love it. I don't care for how the full on mode works.

Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote