Old 02-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #11

Just some things to consider.

The gross vehicle weight rating on your mdx suggests a payload capacity of ~1400lbs. If you have 500lbs of tongue weight that reduces your mdx cargo capacity to 900lbs for people and items. Maybe 4 adults max.... with no cargo. So don’t,put a lot in your mdx while towing

Your mdx should otherwise be fine. People with way more obese pickups with much worse power to weight rations and tow just fine. Power isn’t your limitation. It’s weight.

Make sure you don’t overload the tow vehicle, have the right amount of tongue weight and you would be golden with this setup.

I tow a much larger trailer microlite 21ds, with over 800lbs of measured tongue weight on my bmw x5m through Colorado’s mountains and many other trips without issue. It tows better less sway and better ride than my family’s pickups (2017 f150 and 2017 2500hd) due to superior power, better brakes and stiffer suspension. I’ve had my trailer through all kinds of weather and altitude and it’s never been an issue, we have lowered our tongue weight by eliminating my 4x golf car batteries for 2x lithium batteries back to the 600bs range with a full tank of water.

We do use a blue ox web/anti sway hitch and we have trailer brakes using a wireless prodigy controller,

thecastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #12

Thank you all for your input. It definitely helped.
We ended up buying the Wolf Pup 16BHS and it is great!!
I drove about 200 miles from the dealer back home. The dealer did not install the sway control for me, thus I had to drive back with just the weight distribution hitch.
I didn't have much sway and at some point I reached 70mph. But since I have the sway control system (came with the WDH) I am planning to install it.

I will need some opinions though:
A. Any opinions regarding the Clamp-On sway control A-frame adapter (Husky Towing 38964)? I was thinking to use that instead of the bolt-on/weld sway control adapter.

B. I read a lot of instructions and watched a lot of videos regarding proper sway control adjustment, but it is not 100% clear to me what is the right adjustment process. Can you provide some information, based on your experience, on how to properly adjust the sway control so it is not too tight or not tighten enough?

Thank you all for your support.

LL

Lambrosfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #13

I think the clamp on kit should be fine- just get into a habit to make sure bolts are tight.

Also, as an experienced tow’er, try to set your max speed at 65. Most trailer tires are only rated for that. As someone who pulled with similar set up, things can get out of hand quickly especially with single axle trailer. I think I was crusing at 60 when a bad tire caused hell of vibration- had mere moments to slow(without hammering brakes) and get to safety.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Also, as an experienced tow’er, try to set your max speed at 65. Most trailer tires are only rated for that.
Pul-lease check your tires to see what their maximum speed rating actually is. MINE are 75MPH & yes, they are Castle Rocks. Also check the manufacture date on your tires (search tire dates or similar on the forum). Ten years ago the above quote was true. Goodyear Endurance are rated at 87MPH, IIRC.
TT tires are generally good for 5 dependable years, some can last to 8 but most experienced here seem to go for the 5. TT tires age out (from sunrays, heat and flexing) often long before the treads wear out.
All that said, I also find 65mph is a good interstate speed to shoot for. You can still make decent time, not too much slower than other traffic, better control over the TT, and avoids killing you gas mileage pulling that traveling billboard down the highway

2018 16 days camped, 2019 5 days so far.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wolf pup