Old 08-19-2016, 12:13 AM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
I have my gain set to 5 and it seems to work well at that setting. If I "pinch" the brake tabs all the way closed, the TT comes to a quick stop, but doesn't lock the brakes. Locking the brakes is the last thing I want to do.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #22

Another question or clarification. The manual says if you can't lock up your trailer brakes set the gain to max. So I run at 10? I can definitely feel the brakes at 9. Sounds like from the manual there is not an expected lock for "heavy" trailers. But what's a "heavy" trailer?

Old 08-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
I run mine on "8" heavy electric even though my RV is less than ten thousand pounds. I assume it's correct because when I go to stop, I just barely have to touch my brakes. I don't really feel the trailer brakes, but like I said, it stops real easy so I guess it's okay. I've never been able to lock them up, but I don't remember seeing anything about that procedure in my manual. To the brake meisters: am I alright like this?!?
When you say "you've never been able to lock them up", do you mean they never lock when set to "8 heavy electric", or do you mean you can't lock them up on the absolute heaviest setting? You need to warm up the brakes, then turn up the setting(s) until you can lock the brakes, then back it off just until it no longer locks.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I have my gain set to 5 and it seems to work well at that setting. If I "pinch" the brake tabs all the way closed, the TT comes to a quick stop, but doesn't lock the brakes. Locking the brakes is the last thing I want to do.
You are correct, in that during an actual emergency stop, you do not want the trailer brakes to lock. But you do want them to be operating at the maximum possible output, without locking.

To do this, you have to do fast manual applies (pinch) to induce brake lock on a side street at 25mph. If 5 will not lock the brakes, try 5.5. 6.0? 7.0? Keep increasing until they lock. The back off just until they do not lock. At this point, you have the controller set for optimal braking. Anything less, and you will not have the shortest possible stopping distance in an emergency.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
Another question or clarification. The manual says if you can't lock up your trailer brakes set the gain to max. So I run at 10? I can definitely feel the brakes at 9. Sounds like from the manual there is not an expected lock for "heavy" trailers. But what's a "heavy" trailer?
The goal is not to feel your brakes. The goal is to set them properly, so you will have proportional braking during normal drive, and maximum braking in an emergency (without locking).

The OEM is saying the same thing that I am saying. But they are also saying that if you can't lock the brakes, you need to use as much voltage as possible. If you can't lock the brakes at 10, it makes no sense to turn it down to 9.

There are many things that could contribute to not being able to lock the brakes. Check the brakes themselves. Are the linings very worn? Do they need to be adjusted? Probably. They do not have automatic adjusters. But if the brakes are in good shape and adjusted, then the problem is the truck (specifically, the integrated controller).
Old 08-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #26
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Yep, this!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, brakes, lock, trailer