I'm KansasJohn's Dad, the owner of the new 2016 Canyon pulling the Puma 25RS. GM rates my truck as equipped to tow 7000 pounds, with a gross combined weight rating of 12000 pounds. Fully loaded, My combination tips the scales at 10800 pounds, leaving me at 10% below my max rating. As like most users, my truck will spend less than 10% of its mileage over time towing, and the other 90% solo, it's smaller engine offers a considerable savings in fuel over a larger thirstier truck.Towing mileage will most likely still be in the 8-10 MPG range but solo is 25 MPG. Another point I have to make is the new Canyon/Colorado twins are NOT small, but are the same size a full size pickup or Suburban was in the '90s. They also boast similar power.
Interestingly enough, I looked up the specs on my old 1992 Suburban, with which I towed a 30' Airstream trailer over 60000 miles without issue, many of those miles in Colorado climbing hills. The 350 V8 in that truck was rated at 210 HP and 300 Ft Pounds of torque. With a 3.42 rear axle it was rated to tow a 6000 pound trailer with a combined gross vehicle weight of 12000 pounds. My Canyon, which has 305 HP and 269 Ft pounds of torque and also came with a 3.42 axle, weirdly enough is the same width, 2 inches longer and has a 7" longer wheelbase than that '92 Suburban. BTW, its the same height too. And the Canyon is 900 pounds lighter than the Suburban was. The Canyon/Colorado make awesome tow vehicles. Just new school, but very much like old school too. The six speed automatic transmission is going to freak out out school thinkers, as with 5th and 6th both being overdrives for solo mpg, they simply aren't useful for towing, so should be locked out when doing it.
Not to step on any toes, but I'm still astounded at the rational connected to not losing speed uphill. Unless a tow vehicle has an extreme excess of horse power and torque, physics dictates that it WILL slow down while climbing hills. The bigger the load and the bigger the hill means the slower it will get to the top.
Just because a vehicle loses speed going uphill, is by no means indicative that it isn't up to the job, it simply means that it doesn't have an excess of power, just what is needed to attain and maintain speed on level ground. Flogging the tow vehicle to try an maintain what is obviously too fast of a speed up the hill justs makes for excessive wear and tear.
If the trucking industry used the logic of this argument we would never be delivered the goods we need in our everyday lives at a price we could afford as an excess of power to move a 80000 pound truck is simply not cost effective. Since they can't zoom up every hill at or above the speed limit doesn't mean that they are under powered, it means that they don't have an excess of power. And more power equals more fuel consumption.
I've towed travel trailers in 49 states and 4 countries over 40+ years. Over 250000 TOWING miles. My tow vehicle/towed vehicle combinations have ranged from a 4 cylinder 1.6 liter car and a 13' Scotty trailer up to a 19' E350 V10 towing a 35' triple axle 10000 pound behemoth, and many combinations in between. Guess what? Everything goes slower up hill!
So what? Enjoy the ride and keep on camping. Enjoy that scenery as it goes past, even if it's not going by as fast!